Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Couldn't even listen to the commentary on the day. Was hugely disappointed with the team selection but it's worse having forced myself to watch the full 90 on Rams TV.

It was a poor game, the Rams with no cohesion and no energy in midfield. It meant there was a lot more long ball than normal. I wondered if I was imagining it but WhoScored confirms the proportion was different from how we normally try to play. The only time our midfield has worked all season is when we play Sibley in the middle because he has the energy to link defence and attack and ability to carry the ball forward and play people in. Knight would likely bring even more energy although he's not as dangerous or skillful as a player. Without either/both of those we just ceded control.

It was Collins' best game for us, so seemed a mad pre-planned move to take him off when he was still full of running, to bring a raw 19 year old when we desperately needed to be able to hold the ball and have a focal point. Thompson is really struggling this season and again it seemed mad to bring him on when we needed energy and power and forward-thinking play in midfield. 

We're being told to do stupid things like boot kickoffs back to the keeper so Wildsmith can then kick it out of play from the edge of his goal area. What's that about? Ditto the daft goalkicks. Again our set pieces further up the field lacked imagination or execution. 

Rosenior talks a good talk but his actions don't always back up his words. This was on him, unbalancing the team and reaping the consequences. We're not playing to our potential at the moment because the selection and set up isn't right.

Re Collins going off. It made me wonder whether there is a clause in the loan from Sheff Utd

11 minutes ago, sage said:

Re Collins going off. It made me wonder whether there is a clause in the loan from Sheff Utd

I wondered that too. Maybe we were really desperate to sign another striker?

Edit: Collins was trying to call/drag the team higher up the pitch and still even chasing down their keeper, and obviously buoyed having scored. Then off he came. Osala was unfortunate to be penalized not long after he came on, but after that he didn't do anything and we lost the leadership up top that Collins had been giving us. All helping lead to such a disjointed performance, so many youngsters on at the end in a game that needed properly managing.

Edited by Carl Sagan

Collins played the full 90 on Tuesday. He was tiring, visibly. Taking him off after 70  minutes wasn't illogical because we were 2-1 up at that stage and needed fresh legs upfront to stretch their defence. 

We've signed Olusa to give us an option that we didn't have. There doesn't have to be a sinister reason why, having signed him, the manager decides to use him, shock, horror. 

On 05/09/2022 at 22:55, Carl Sagan said:

Couldn't even listen to the commentary on the day. Was hugely disappointed with the team selection but it's worse having forced myself to watch the full 90 on Rams TV.

It was a poor game, the Rams with no cohesion and no energy in midfield. It meant there was a lot more long ball than normal. I wondered if I was imagining it but WhoScored confirms the proportion was different from how we normally try to play. The only time our midfield has worked all season is when we play Sibley in the middle because he has the energy to link defence and attack and ability to carry the ball forward and play people in. Knight would likely bring even more energy although he's not as dangerous or skillful as a player. Without either/both of those we just ceded control.

It was Collins' best game for us, so seemed a mad pre-planned move to take him off when he was still full of running, to bring a raw 19 year old when we desperately needed to be able to hold the ball and have a focal point. Thompson is really struggling this season and again it seemed mad to bring him on when we needed energy and power and forward-thinking play in midfield. 

We're being told to do stupid things like boot kickoffs back to the keeper so Wildsmith can then kick it out of play from the edge of his goal area. What's that about? Ditto the daft goalkicks. Again our set pieces further up the field lacked imagination or execution. 

Rosenior talks a good talk but his actions don't always back up his words. This was on him, unbalancing the team and reaping the consequences. We're not playing to our potential at the moment because the selection and set up isn't right.

Agreed, not Roseniors best game, but it's part of the managerial learning process. I guess that's why he is only the interim manager?