Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Chance cleared off the line and a goal conceded against Peterborough from balls played into the RCB area and put toward the back post where there's a man free. Equaliser today from a ball into the RCB area then played across to a.man free at the back post. Bit of a pattern appearing.

Edited by Kokosnuss

14 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think it’s hands down his fault (for the record this isn’t a Rosenoir out post by any stretch of the imagination, I think he’ll do us proud )  his substitutions were mind boggling and ultimately lost us the game. 

We were fortunate last week, our luck ran out this week. Perhaps we should just say well done to the opposition on this occasion rather than spending ages trying to find someone to blame. The Rams are going to lose football matches. On to the next game…

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

We were fortunate last week, our luck ran out this week. Perhaps we should just say well done to the opposition on this occasion rather than spending ages trying to find someone to blame. The Rams are going to lose football matches. On to the next game…

Totally agree they were the better team, we helped though 

22 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Certainly would have been, especially if he was on the bench and not injured.

My bad haha, didn't notice he wasn't in the squad ?. In which case imo we should have bought Rooney on for abit more defensive ability and physicality to match them and compete better. 

Thought we were fortunate to go in 2 up at half time - Argyle missed some good chances and should at least have been level. The second half was a huge disappointment and once Whittaker scored I thought there was only one team looking as though they wanted to win. Feel sorry for Cashin being responsible for the winner - he's been superb so far this season

I understand why McGoldrick was taken off but none of the substitutions worked - what completely baffled me was that Hourihane stayed on. His contribution was negligible and to see him in a RW position in the final 10 minutes beggared belief. Bird wasn't much better - too much sideways or backward, frustrating when you know he has the ability to make those slide-rule forward passes.

Lessons need to be learnt so hopefully next week we'll see a much better performance because today was poor, for me a 4 out of 10.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think you can fault his subs, but he has come out and explained them which is fair enough. Dont think you can blame him for the overall performance, players have to take responsibility when they cross the white line but didnt do anywhere near enough today which is on them. Individually each one is probably better than the man up against them in a Plymouth shirt but not enough of them showed that

This... 

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Thought we were fortunate to go in 2 up at half time - Argyle missed some good chances and should at least have been level. The second half was a huge disappointment and once Whittaker scored I thought there was only one team looking as though they wanted to win. Feel sorry for Cashin being responsible for the winner - he's been superb so far this season

I understand why McGoldrick was taken off but none of the substitutions worked - what completely baffled me was that Hourihane stayed on. His contribution was negligible and to see him in a RW position in the final 10 minutes beggared belief. Bird wasn't much better - too much sideways or backward, frustrating when you know he has the ability to make those slide-rule forward passes.

Lessons need to be learnt so hopefully next week we'll see a much better performance because today was poor, for me a 4 out of 10.

Hourihane takes the corners but didn't do much else today.  I still think we lack something in midfield. Having Knight there would solve that but we do not have a senior right back in the squad which is a glaring omission.   

1 hour ago, SSD said:

I think this is a good lesson for the manager today. I really enjoy his confidence and the way he speaks in interviews, I think Liam will be a great manager for us going forward. I can't back him making subs after an hour. I can understand making changes when the team is chasing a game. He should have tried to soldier on and wait until we made the changes. Completely disrupted the balance of the side.

Central midfield was a shambles today. Hourihane might be a match winner, I thought he looked completely off the pace today. No energy, Plymouth midfield dominated. 

One point off the play offs. As long as we stick around the top half by Christmas I'm happy enough. Plenty of games to go. Hopefully the manager will gain this valuable experience going forward.

Absolutely bang on…

11 hours ago, WystonRam said:

The main selection/substitution issue today was all the older, experienced players, who may run out of gas, started and all the subs were inexperienced. 

We finished the game with three outfield players over 21.

Lack of game management from LR and the players. 

Onward and upwards though 

Better team won so don't have any complaints with the scoreline but that performance was disappointing. 

Underwhelmed by Bird and Hourihane. I thought Bird would be all over this level but was chasing shadows today, same with his older mate in CM. First game I've thought Knight was needed in the middle. Whittaker goal was so lucky but what can you do, gave them a massive lift. Subs killed any hope of seeing it out IMO, first time I've seen LR get it so wrong. Thompson's introduction gave their already dominant midfield the chance to nick all 3 points and they rightly did. Lost any chance of holding the ball up when Collins went off, Plymouth recycled the ball at will. 

As long as everyone learns from it at this point in the season I'm not too fussed but a performance like this won't be acceptable in a few months time. Plymouth were a good side, should be up there with us come May.