Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

On 03/09/2022 at 17:35, Ellafella said:
On 03/09/2022 at 17:24, plymouthram said:

Yes Plymouth were, on the day the better team and take the points. But we can look back at the Fleetwood and Shrewsbury away games and on a lucky day would have won both and would be sat on 15 points, just 2 behind the leaders. That's football, I'm convinced we will be in the mix for promotion. Players will get to gel as the season progresses. Liam will get to know his best starting 11 for the different tactics of the team we face.

“”When the team “gels””  what does that actually mean? Serious question - the defeat today was predictable because we are grinding out our wins not controlling them. 

I did'nt state when the team gels, but I see where you are coming from. But take into context, it's a totally new team/squad and just around 2 months ago we only had 5 players. We had at least 2 weeks preparation less over the rest of this division in pre-season. The players will get better with matches and training sessions under their belt. Out of the so called league wins we grinded out we had 58% possession and 13 shots to Oxford's 7. Against Barnsley it was a closer game having only 51% poss and 7 shots. Then against Peterboro we had 60% poss and 17 shots. I suppose we grinded out 2 draws away from home against Fleetwood & Shrewsbury where we amassed 40 shots with 74% poss against Fleetwood and 61% against Shrewsbury. Having more possession in matches suggests to me we are controlling the ball more than opposition.  Did you predict a win for Plymouth on this forum ?

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The first is lucky I agree. But it comes from Forsyth heading to the edge of his own box. Which you should never do.

All 3 had mistakes within them. 2md you had Thompson & Bird getting in each others way & Knight commiting himself to the ground. Then obviously Cashin on the 3rd.

All pretty simple mistakes that you would hope the players learn from.

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Lots of ifs and buts. What if they had scored from a couple of their excellent other chances….

Wasnt actually any ifs or buts, but I get your point. Im general im not on about the chances each team had and missed. Im more on about the fact we played poorly vs a top team & found ourselves 2 up and for abit of luck would have won. They got the bit of luck they rightly deserved for first goal. 2nd was offside and similar to our first, their 3rd came from a defensive mistake. 

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wasnt actually any ifs or buts, but I get your point. Im general im not on about the chances each team had and missed. Im more on about the fact we played poorly vs a top team & found ourselves 2 up and for abit of luck would have won. They got the bit of luck they rightly deserved for first goal. 2nd was offside and similar to our first, their 3rd came from a defensive mistake. 

The better team won. They have deservedly taken the 3 points. No more if this if that. Let’s move on and support the team at Morecombe ?

22 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Can’t argue with that.

Do we gamble on Oduroh though?

Free agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window. A club can request to sign a player on emergency basis, e.g. if several goalkeepers are injured at the same time.

Might be oduroh is OK at this level, might be that we require a free agent right back.

There's a case for knight playing there, but I want to see him in his best position and that's not right back in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Can’t argue with that.

Do we gamble on Oduroh though?

Can't Smith play right back too? 

You could make the same argument as with Knight - he's not a 'natural', we lose his qualities in midfield - which is true, but right now it feels like we need someone like Knight in midfield more than someone like Smith. 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Free agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window. A club can request to sign a player on emergency basis, e.g. if several goalkeepers are injured at the same time.

Might be oduroh is OK at this level, might be that we require a free agent right back.

There's a case for knight playing there, but I want to see him in his best position and that's not right back in my opinion.

Who is available on a free? Did Wisdom get picked up? Not exactly a marauding full back these days but could maybe do a job. 

22 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Just seen the highlights.

Don't they have an offside rule in League One?

Argyle's first two "goals" looked offside to me.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Having seen it again, first was onside, it looked as if Jason Knight who was initially out of the picture was behind everyone else.

Second was definitely offside, by a couple of feet but the officials were so very poor all afternoon it was no surprise that it was missed.

"So we thought Morgan with his speed and his dribbling ability, and Ryan Hardie at the top, might be able to get in behind them when we got an opportunity on the counter attack

"Then, when I'm umming and ahing whether that's the correct decision, yeah the emotion came into it a little bit because it is his old team.

"Sometimes you do get an extra five, 10% out of them. I used to love coming back to my old teams to maybe prove some people wrong, and thankfully he has done that.

Has he.  At the time he played for us, we were top half of the championship and he looked like an adequte League 1 player.  Not surprisingly he's in League One or the fact we took 750k which was good money.

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

Couldn't even listen to the commentary on the day. Was hugely disappointed with the team selection but it's worse having forced myself to watch the full 90 on Rams TV.

It was a poor game, the Rams with no cohesion and no energy in midfield. It meant there was a lot more long ball than normal. I wondered if I was imagining it but WhoScored confirms the proportion was different from how we normally try to play. The only time our midfield has worked all season is when we play Sibley in the middle because he has the energy to link defence and attack and ability to carry the ball forward and play people in. Knight would likely bring even more energy although he's not as dangerous or skillful as a player. Without either/both of those we just ceded control.

It was Collins' best game for us, so seemed a mad pre-planned move to take him off when he was still full of running, to bring a raw 19 year old when we desperately needed to be able to hold the ball and have a focal point. Thompson is really struggling this season and again it seemed mad to bring him on when we needed energy and power and forward-thinking play in midfield. 

We're being told to do stupid things like boot kickoffs back to the keeper so Wildsmith can then kick it out of play from the edge of his goal area. What's that about? Ditto the daft goalkicks. Again our set pieces further up the field lacked imagination or execution. 

Rosenior talks a good talk but his actions don't always back up his words. This was on him, unbalancing the team and reaping the consequences. We're not playing to our potential at the moment because the selection and set up isn't right.