Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Agree with all your comments,think that Rosenior takes a lot of the blame for todays defeat !

I think you can fault his subs, but he has come out and explained them which is fair enough. Dont think you can blame him for the overall performance, players have to take responsibility when they cross the white line but didnt do anywhere near enough today which is on them. Individually each one is probably better than the man up against them in a Plymouth shirt but not enough of them showed that

I think this is a good lesson for the manager today. I really enjoy his confidence and the way he speaks in interviews, I think Liam will be a great manager for us going forward. I can't back him making subs after an hour. I can understand making changes when the team is chasing a game. He should have tried to soldier on and wait until we made the changes. Completely disrupted the balance of the side.

Central midfield was a shambles today. Hourihane might be a match winner, I thought he looked completely off the pace today. No energy, Plymouth midfield dominated. 

One point off the play offs. As long as we stick around the top half by Christmas I'm happy enough. Plenty of games to go. Hopefully the manager will gain this valuable experience going forward.

Edited by SSD

7 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Just got home, absolutely fuming after that. 3 points pissed away. 

Soon as we subbed off Barkhausen and Mcgoldrick our ability to transition from defence to attack was gone and we badly missed Mcgoldricks hold up play. 

Thompson is a good young player but I thought he was really poor today and I think we really lacked physicality and some nouse like a Joel Ledlely type once the going got tough at 2-1 and then 2-2 when they had all the impetus. 

Poor subs from Rosenior today and a lack of game management cost us. 

Think you need to give the Greens a bit of credit too….

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think you need to give the Greens a bit of credit too….

They fought hard but we are a much better side than them and have alot more quality , just through it away with poor game management and a lack of experience and physicality in the midfield.

Soon as it became a scrap at 2-2 we were f*****, we lost or messed up alot of aerial  balls when Sibley and Thompson came on.

We are woefully lacking that type of strong and solid player with a bit of nous, Smith would have been a much better sub than Thompson though to control the game. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

So poor today from minute one. They should have gone in at half time winning but somehow we were 2 up.

Bird nowhere near it again today. I dare say if Smith was fit Bird wouldn't have played. We have better balance with a right footer and a left footer in there imo.

Didn't understand bringing Thompson on. I said it at the start of the season that he's nowhere near good enough yet. Not saying he won't be. But he's miles off.

Forsyth poor again. You learn pretty early on that you shouldn't head the ball to the edge of your own box, but he still did.

Cashin and Stearman weren't bad. Glaring error from Cashin for the winner but he's been outstanding.

I'd seriously think about playing Oduroh next week and moving Knight into midfield. This is why it was absolutely criminal we didn't bring a right back in. Not because Knight isn't playing well there but you miss him so much in midfield. I'm surprised Oduroh isn't on the bench so he has that option in a game.

Sibley poor when he came on too but can't be too critical cos he's been very good of late.

Morecambe next week and id go with this if Davies and Smith are back..

Wildsmith

Oduroh Davies Cashin Roberts

Smith   Hourihane

Knight 

NML.        Collins.     Barkhuizen 

2 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

They fought hard but we are a much better side than them and have alot moree quality , just through it away with poor game management and a lack of experience and physicality in the midfield.

Soon as it became a scrap at 2-2 we were f*****, we lost or messed up alot of aeirial balls when Sibley and Thompson came on.

We are woefully lacking that type of strong and solid player with a bit of nous, Smith would have been a much better sub than Thompson though to control the game. 

They have proven to be a decent side at this level for 2 or 3 seasons. Not sure you can just say we are a better side. We are a team in transition, they are much more settled. Even LR said they deserved to win after the game.

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think you can fault his subs, but he has come out and explained them which is fair enough. Dont think you can blame him for the overall performance, players have to take responsibility when they cross the white line but didnt do anywhere near enough today which is on them. Individually each one is probably better than the man up against them in a Plymouth shirt but not enough of them showed that

I think it’s hands down his fault (for the record this isn’t a Rosenoir out post by any stretch of the imagination, I think he’ll do us proud )  his substitutions were mind boggling and ultimately lost us the game. 

Carlesberg didn’t write the script for this one did they ? !

Good game in the first half, 2 goal lead flattered us but it was an open game where unlike other games we took our chances and they didn’t. We did just edge it though I thought ? Lots of credit to Plymouth who came and played football. First 5 mins of second half was ok too. A couple of errors and you could see heads just dipping a tad but then a goal and they lit up. While we got slower, fought less, made more mistakes. Of course McGoldrick was a miss from an attacking and control perspective but Sibs directness should have been enough to cancel that out with a 2-0 lead behind us. Sure Cash made a mistake but let’s face it he’s done enough at other times to allow him that. Overall we were second best in the second half. Max was dead on his feet, Hourihan did nothing but had been clattered badly twice. My MOM is between Wildsmith and  Fozzy,  which says it all I suppose. Delighted for Collins. Beautifully weighted pass from McG and a calm intelligent finish from JC. NML’s was a piece of joyful skill - he didn’t see enough of the ball in the first half. He is a line breaker, a first touch player, an attacking  instigator, yet seemed a bit in the cold for large parts of the first half. 

The ref was the worst I’ve seen so far. I haven’t seen a replay but their second looked a mile offside. Why did he give an FK against William I will never know, but a promising debut none the less. Got to confess that ref grumbles is clutching at straws a bit. Face it, we had a bad day and Plymouth played well. 

On 01/09/2022 at 19:28, jimtastic56 said:

Plymouth have taken Sam Cosgrove on loan from Brum. 31 goals in 79 games for Aberdeen. Hard to know how hard it is to score in Scotland. Could come up against us on Saturday.

Did warn Liam last Thursday. But I was sat watching the Papa Johns game in the week and wondered why we weren’t resting more players.

As much as the players we have in the squad are technically better than the opposition, once again the physical and mental resilience required to get us out of this league was lacking today, I wish we had a horrible nasty 150% committed player to break up the play in midfield. Final piece of the jigsaw?

Edited by NG2Ram

Just now, NG2Ram said:

As much as the players we have in the squad are technically better than the opposition, once again the physical and mental resilience required to get us out of this league was lacking again today, I wish we had a horrible nasty 150% committed player to break up the play in midfield. Final piece of the jigsaw?

I think there might be a case for young Rooney at DM. Max is better further up the pitch anyway and Jake, despite his youth is a promising public convenience made from the best bricks.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I think there might be a case for young Rooney at DM. Max is better further up the pitch anyway and Jake, despite his youth is a promising public convenience made from the best bricks.

Agree with you there. He's composed and his simple pass is often forward-looking, which is another positive.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, NG2Ram said:

As much as the players we have in the squad are technically better than the opposition, once again the physical and mental resilience required to get us out of this league was lacking today, I wish we had a horrible nasty 150% committed player to break up the play in midfield. Final piece of the jigsaw?

Korey Smith isn't nasty but he has more savvy in midfield and probably would have come on  if he had been fit. Playing Smith Bird and hourihane isn't the most mobile of midfields but at least we would have kept more possession than we did which at 2-0 is what we should have done. .  

McGoldrick and Mendez Laing tore them to pieces in the first half, with better understanding between the forwards we could have scored more.  But with those two tiring we lacked creativity and lost the momentum. Its a problem we have had all season, fading in second half,  Rosenior didn't mange it very well today.