Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, jono said:

I agree Angie, mind you I thought Barks was having a bit of a sub par game for him, which does happen, but he could have worked through it, Hourhan had been clattered hard twice, was off the pace too. Tweaking the system for Sibs to play in the middle would have been much better - as that late run on the edge of the box where he fought and squirmed his way past 3 defenders showed perfectly. 

As a side note, think the Lino called the offside correctly. Looking at the highlights of the second the scorer was pretty much level and the first, well our player did touch it enough to be described as “playing it” so I’ll have to give a nod to the ref for those. Still not forgiving him for McGoldricks booking or the Osulo free kick ! 

Yes, @sage mentioned Barkhuizen wasn't having a good second half. I get the view from the West Stand and he was really good down the left flank first half, didn't notice he had deteriorated second half.

I would have dragged Hourihane off myself, but as he seems untouchable then I was trying to work out how to get Sibley somewhere he can actually make a difference!

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, @sage mentioned Barkhuizen wasn't having a good second half. I get the view from the West Stand and he was really good down the left flank first half, didn't notice he had deteriorated second half.

I would have dragged Hourihane off myself, but as he seems untouchable then I was trying to work out how to get Sibley somewhere he can actually make a difference!

Hourihane hasn't been the player we hoped so far.  He was very much an attacking player at Barnsley though and his first season at Villa.  We seem to leave him to deep.  Yesterday he seemed to struggle after getting a good one on the shin early second half when someone played a short ball titting around at the back.  Kept pulling his shin pad down and the gash was bleeding 20 minutes later.  Probably should have come off. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sibley has to be central, how far forward is negotiable. He is most dangerous when he can go either way (obviously preferring his left) but to me he's never been and never will be a wide player, on either side. I'm not sure any of our potential wide players has a reliable cross on them.

Related point, not from yesterday: do you think they work on high (or even waist-height) crosses with Roberts? You never quite know what Fozzy will do (not sure he always does either) but Roberts seems to cross low or not cross at all! (I realise the position is somewhat new to him).

As for the ref (jono's comment), though the McGoldrick booking was fair enough but the Osula "foul" where he was pretty much clean through was a joke, especially since it happened right in front of the linesman who saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

What if we had? There were chances first half to put the game out of sight. Despite our otherwise under-par performance we looked very dangerous on the break. Don't usually get that much room.

Perhaps we should join the Posh fans and see between us if we can come up with an explanation of how we got out of jail last week? There always has to be this forensic analysis when we lose and the blame game starts. It would be nice if just for once we acknowledged that on the day we were beaten by the better side, as our Manager accepts ?

28 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

well done to Plymouth and their manager , stuck to a gameplan and reaped their rewards , thought 1st half we did ok but 2nd half we ran out of steam , Bird and Hourihane were invisible most of 2nd half , Smith to come in when fit , agree with everything said about Sibbo , wasted out wide , Liam is learning on the job with an inexperienced backroom staff and a squad thrown together , i remain confident in Liam and the team to produce a good season

Onto Morecambe and hopefully kickstart our away form , we are just small tweaks away to having a team that will be competitive in this league

You’re right, there isn’t much wrong a bit of tweaking and practice won’t iron out. We have a team well worth watching. Tired in the second half yesterday, worryingly so but “there are days like this my mamma said” 

Consider the same side with Collins hitting form, McGoldrick playing 90 mins rotating with Sibs. Barks is sound but had a slow day yesterday, but he will deliver as we saw in the first few games. Wildsmith knows what he’s doing, Odouruh may grow to be first choice RB putting Knights energy back in the middle. Watching and waiting for Rooney to fight his way in to the side.
Plenty to look forward to and NML is worth the ticket price on his own. That was a beautiful goal yesterday. Pure ball skill and a delight to see. 

Bit down as I usually am on a Sunday after a defeat but give it till Wednesday and it will pass. Let’s go to the seaside on Saturday and build something to go with the sandcastles and shrimps COYR

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Perhaps we should join the Posh fans and see between us if we can come up with an explanation of how we got out of jail last week? There always has to be this forensic analysis when we lose and the blame game starts. It would be nice if just for once we acknowledged that on the day we were beaten by the better side, as our Manager accepts ?

I was only replying to you, who was the one stating if Plymouth had taken their other chances. That works both ways. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We were definitely beaten by the better side - don't you want to know how? (Not saying any of us know!)

Just now, angieram said:

I was only replying to you, who was the one stating if Plymouth had taken their other chances. That works both ways. 

Yes, my comment was in response to another poster saying if we had taken our chances, I was merely pointing out they had more chances, probably better chances actually. Anyway, on to the next game….

6 hours ago, sage said:

I kind of agree but Barkhuizen was in front of us second half and was blowing out of his Harris 

I've said all along we should alternate our wingers, only one of Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen starting. Though now we have Dobbin too to play wide, so if Rosenior insists on starting both we do have some cover. In an idea world we'd have four wingers but we know things have been far from ideal, but there's no need with a modicum of thought beforehand to end up playing Sibley out of position on the wing, when the manager must surely have seen how incredibly effective he is in the middle of the park. But not on the wing.

Apologies are in order I feel… I’ve been hopping from French campsite to French campsite over the past few days, but have now settled at our SW destination campsite, and have finally caught up in here. 
Should I still put up the missing Thunderbirds 1 & 2 gifs from yesterday, or would that be deemed inappropriate now? ?

Asking pour mon ami!  
? ?

PS:  Lot of pages to catch up on this week!  I wonder why that is!  ?

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've said all along we should alternate our wingers, only one of Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen starting. Though now we have Dobbin too to play wide, so if Rosenior insists on starting both we do have some cover. In an idea world we'd have four wingers but we know things have been far from ideal, but there's no need with a modicum of thought beforehand to end up playing Sibley out of position on the wing, when the manager must surely have seen how incredibly effective he is in the middle of the park. But not on the wing

For me Sibley should have started. But no surprise when he didn't.  The subs left Sibley with a lesser team to play with.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think you're in the wrong thread, then! I quite like to chew over what we might have done differently,  it's how we learn from our experience. 

But we never analyse in such detail the mistakes the opposition have made for our goals do we? Knight and McGoldrick left unmarked for our two goals last week for example. Teams can’t seem to score good goals against us, someone has to be responsible, someone has to take the blame. That’s the point I am making ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we never analyse in such detail the mistakes the opposition have made for our goals do we? Knight and McGoldrick left unmarked for our two goals last week for example. Teams can’t seem to score good goals against us, someone has to be responsible, someone has to take the blame. That’s the point I am making ?

I have no idea what point you are making other than to say we can't look at what went wrong yesterday and what we might do to prevent it happening again.

I don't think anyone is saying that Plymouth weren't better than us on the day. 

I'm not really interested in working out what Plymouth did wrong. I am a Derby fan.

?‍♀️

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I have no idea what point you are making other than to say we can't look at what went wrong yesterday and what we might do to prevent it happening again.

I don't think anyone is saying that Plymouth weren't better than us on the day. 

I'm not really interested in working out what Plymouth did wrong. I am a Derby fan.

?‍♀️

That’s a shame, thought I had made it pretty clear. Never mind ?

50 minutes ago, jono said:

You’re right, there isn’t much wrong a bit of tweaking and practice won’t iron out. We have a team well worth watching. Tired in the second half yesterday, worryingly so but “there are days like this my mamma said” 

Consider the same side with Collins hitting form, McGoldrick playing 90 mins rotating with Sibs. Barks is sound but had a slow day yesterday, but he will deliver as we saw in the first few games. Wildsmith knows what he’s doing, Odouruh may grow to be first choice RB putting Knights energy back in the middle. Watching and waiting for Rooney to fight his way in to the side.
Plenty to look forward to and NML is worth the ticket price on his own. That was a beautiful goal yesterday. Pure ball skill and a delight to see. 

Bit down as I usually am on a Sunday after a defeat but give it till Wednesday and it will pass. Let’s go to the seaside on Saturday and build something to go with the sandcastles and shrimps COYR

Exactly ?

23 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That Knight was left unmarked for the equaliser last week didn't go unnoticed! (maybe a result of Peterborough being down to 10 men)

Mainly because I was chuntering something like "Well we never score from corners* and Hourihane hasn't got a single one right yet..." at the time.

It's natural to notice what seems to work for us and what doesn't work for us, rather than to notice the opposition. Plymouth won fair and square but I still couldn't name more than a couple of their players, nor noticed which ones did what (except Whittaker and Cosgrove!)

* Yes I know we scored from a corner against Barnsley; most of my chuntering isn't based on reality ?