Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

We are six points better off because of moments of individual brilliance.

The team hasn’t been functioning well enough to win the majority of our league games, hence why we have dropped ten points and it could have been more.

Does it bode well that we have ‘played everyone off the park’ away from home and only come away with two points from nine?

Morecambe and Lincoln away will tell us a lot. If we come firing back, panic over. But if not, it could suggest that we’re in for a long, frustrating season.

We’re 6 points worse off because of hitting the woodwork and clearances off the line in games we’ve outplayed and tactically done the opposition. On balance we’re about where we deserve to be. 

Morecambe and Lincoln is still way too early to judge. October/November at the earliest. Key is we hit our straps in the middle of the season and continue to improve, the late preseason meant a slow start was inevitable.

We will get there. I see a manager with good clarity of thought knows what he wants and is tactically aware. We are a work in progress. Your other comment that a seasoned manager would have us flying by now is the oldest football myth/cliche whatever you want to call it. Look where Cook had Ipswich last season, look at the top of the league now - all young coaches , not much experience, only difference is the other coaches have had longer to work with  their squads than Liam 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It did look it, but so did our first….

Our first was not offside. Freeze frame at 54 seconds and you can see their defender is in the mown stripe ahead of Collins when McGoldrick plays the ball. However freeze frame at 1.54 and you can see that Cosgrave is offside when the ball is played and is even more offside when he scores.   

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Our first was not offside. Freeze frame at 54 seconds and you can see their defender is in the mown stripe ahead of Collins when McGoldrick plays the ball. However freeze frame at 1.54 and you can see that Cosgrave is offside when the ball is played and is even more offside when he scores.   

The offside for their second is really tight. He just has to be level or behind the ball as its played. 

Inches in it. 

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We’re 6 points worse off because of hitting the woodwork and clearances off the line in games we’ve outplayed and tactically done the opposition. On balance we’re about where we deserve to be. 

Morecambe and Lincoln is still way too early to judge. October/November at the earliest. Key is we hit our straps in the middle of the season and continue to improve, the late preseason meant a slow start was inevitable.

We will get there. I see a manager with good clarity of thought knows what he wants and is tactically aware. We are a work in progress. Your other comment that a seasoned manager would have us flying by now is the oldest football myth/cliche whatever you want to call it. Look where Cook had Ipswich last season, look at the top of the league now - all young coaches , not much experience, only difference is the other coaches have had longer to work with  their squads than Liam 

I'm actually happy the club has dealt with this managerial appointment in the right manner for once. 

Give Rosenoir until early 2023 to gauge how he's doing. If he's bombing then can get the feelers out for a more experience permanent manager and thank him for his efforts and drop back down to assistant.

If he's tearing up the league then give him a full time contract but not on a 4 year stint like Cocu. Win win.

Thought it was pretty even first half but we took our chances , second half we totally lost our way whilst they played far better than us , very disappointed we couldn’t tough it out for at least a draw but we turned into rabbits in the headlights ,

move on to the next hopefully with the new learnt lesson that it’s going to need more than pretty possession football, you also have to fight for control and second balls 

Felt this was coming in a way. We’ve lacked passing fluency at times, even against Grimsby, there were so many times we gave away cheaply with poor control and passing. When Grimsby put a few passes together they were close to getting a chance. 

Today, Plymouth looked like a team that’s played together for awhile. We seemed to let them have the ball out wide in acres of space with time to cross it relying on central defenders to head it away continuously. 

Always had the feeling that if they got one (which they should have first half), they’d get two. Though I wasn’t prepared for how poor we were in the second half. Over ran. 

10 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Forsyth is nowhere near fit enough for 90 minutes, Absolutely out of it second half and they sussed out the left hand side.

Mcgoldrick despite supposedly being unfit was the best player by a country mile 

Which goals were Forsyth's fault? 

20 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I see Korey Smith, who a few weeks back was considered far too slow, and too side-to-side with his passing, would have been man of the match today if he had played.

Keeping the ball is an underestimated quality.

Yes we gave it away far too easily today with poor ball control, poor clearances, poor set pieces and poor passing - in summary was poor!

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I see Korey Smith, who a few weeks back was considered far too slow, and too side-to-side with his passing, would have been man of the match today if he had played.

Keeping the ball is an underestimated quality.

Yes some guys near where i was sat were moaning about Smith in the Barnsley game , not sure why.. we needed to keep possession when 2-0 up today and didn't do that often enough. Mind you had we started with Smith Hourihane and Bird in midfield we would probably never have been 2-0 up in the first place.   

59 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

As our chief ref complainer I am surprised you didn't mention that their second goal was offside. 

I mean it looked it in real time (clearly in an offside position when he scored) , and having seen the replay I think pretty clear he looked offside when the ball was played too. 

Not easy to see from the South Stand.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Which goals were Forsyth's fault? 

It was like playing with ten men second half.

Any (rare) long kick Wildsmith upfield Fozzy failed to win, he's was getting run ragged and this is when Robert's should've come on for him rather than bring Thompson (baffled at that BTW ).

Also feel Hourihane is untouchable,  nowhere near the player he was at Villa and Barnsley,  another player who looks shattered after a hour or so. His corners are dire, his passing gets very sloppy midway through - needs a major kick up the arse because he's normally so technically gifted on the ball.

Edited by Papahet

I thought Rosenior got the game management completely wrong today.

I was suprised with the team selection. I thought Roberts, Dobbin and potentially Sibley could have started.

Our tactics became far too familiar for Plymouth and they completely sussed us. Everytime Wildsmith got the ball a few in the North Stand resorted to jokingly shout "pass it to Forsyth", bless him he tried, numerous times, but failed, eventually leading to their 3rd goal.

The Substitutions were wrong also. He brings Sibley on, but leaves no one up front for him to play off.

Hopefully Rosenior learns from that and quick.

Re playing out from the back - Plymouth simply didn't bother pressing our goal kicks, so we weren’t drawing their players out to create space behind them. So we went more direct, meaning we were reading the game well.

Secondly, when Wildsmith was clearing the ball we tended to not all run to one side if the pitch, instead maintaining station  across the pitch. So it wasn’t clear which area if the pit h the ball would be aimed at. Smart!

Another bit of smart thinking was when we got a throw in our RB position. While not running the clock down, Knight didn’t bust a gut for the throw, so the ref pipped his whistle. Jason reckoned the ref was being a bit pernickety, so walked along the touchline until the ref stopped him and made him go back - which ran the click down!!! Brilliant!