Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve not seen it but there is a bit of difference between flares being held (presumably they’re safe to hold) in an organised way on an open area compared to those being let off by random people in a closely packed and potentially rowdy crowd.

It wasn't in an open area, it was across their fans. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

It wasn't in an open area, it was across their fans. 

Not really sure what you mean. Were they carried across to the fans and taken into the stand? Were they handed over to the fans or still controlled? Whatever the answers, it doesn’t sound like the same level of risk as pyrotechnics smuggled in by random spectators (who may or may not be slightly intoxicated) but it still doesn’t sound sound like the most sensible thing for the club to do.

On 20/08/2022 at 17:30, Addingham Ram said:

We created so many chances against Fleetwood. FLEETWOOD! Name me a team last season that were as poor as them?

We've been so poor away from home for so long that I doubt anyone will fear us for some time.

And just like Shrewsbury they are likely to get well beaten in their next match because it had taken Soooooo much out of them to just hold us to a draw. Tp them it is line winning a cup final, and loads of teams ate going to be like this.

But as the old adage goes, won at home and draw away will bring promotion.

6 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think one thing that concerns a few fans is that since 2014 we have had 4 failed attempts in the play-offs. We know what a lottery they are. With a goalscorer in the team , I am sure we could make top 2. However as many have said , we should be grateful to still have a club.

Yes I tend to agree, but in reality a proven goalscorer any of the divisions is going to attract a decent fee and DCFC aren't well positioned financially. I guess the management are hoping for goals to be spread throughout the team. Despite not having a goalscorer, hopefully we can keep winning at home and stay in touch with the top 6-8 teams .....and then see what Santa brings ?

49 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

And just like Shrewsbury they are likely to get well beaten in their next match because it had taken Soooooo much out of them to just hold us to a draw. Tp them it is line winning a cup final, and loads of teams ate going to be like this.

But as the old adage goes, won at home and draw away will bring promotion.

I got called arrogant for expressing those self-same sentiments before the match, but it's a fact man, it's a fact!

You only have to witness Shrewsbury and Fleetwood supporters cheering their heroes after failing to win at home to confirm this!

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We’re not debating where we’ll finish @plymouthram; we’re debating team set up & structure & whether we have had 270 minutes of “unlucky not to score” or if we need to tweak and re-think tactics. No hidden agenda, no “Liam out” mob, simply debating football. That’s where I come from. The hypothesis is have we really just been unlucky or do we need a tweak here and there and is our approach to away games right?

We have P’boro next week. Should be interesting. 

What are the tweaks that would have got the ball in the net against Fleetwood or Charlton? Think I've seen you post that the opportunities weren't clear cut enough. Some were definitely in the 'half chance' category but others were better than that. Same against Shrewsbury, although fewer chances as they were more disciplined and we were more cautious.

Is the problem structural or down to quality/composure/fitness? It's it a confidence issue? How much more could LR have done as manager?

I'm less into stats and more into gut instinct. I think if we continue to play the way we have away from home we will pick up plenty of wins on the road. An opinion based on absolutely zero evidence! Heathen.

16 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

What are the tweaks that would have got the ball in the net against Fleetwood or Charlton? Think I've seen you post that the opportunities weren't clear cut enough. Some were definitely in the 'half chance' category but others were better than that. Same against Shrewsbury, although fewer chances as they were more disciplined and we were more cautious.

Is the problem structural or down to quality/composure/fitness? It's it a confidence issue? How much more could LR have done as manager?

I'm less into stats and more into gut instinct. I think if we continue to play the way we have away from home we will pick up plenty of wins on the road. An opinion based on absolutely zero evidence! Heathen.

The hypothesis he's presenting here to you Rodley is remarkably different to what he presented to me on here last night. He said then that he was following his statistical nose, which told him that we were bound for mid-table mediocrity, based on the statistical analysis he had derived from our first five games. Apparently, he's been a statistician for 32 years but for me to believe that I'm afraid he would have to tell me how his nose led him to the statistical conclusion that we were clearly bound for mid-table at the end of the season. He's not given us that yet and not explained the variables that he's considered, which have allowed him to arrive at that conclusion. What he's posted today is confusing because last night he definitely told me that his statistical analysis pointed to us clearly being bound for mid-table mediocrity this season but now he's telling you that we're not debating where we'll finish.

It's very confusing.

4 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Yeah the "tweaks" are just having a couple of the shots go in. It's as simple as that.

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The hypothesis he's presenting here to you Rodley is remarkably different to what he presented to me on here last night. He said then that he was following his statistical nose, which told him that we were bound for mid-table mediocrity, based on the statistical analysis he had derived from our first five games. Apparently, he's been a statistician for 32 years but for me to believe that I'm afraid he would have to tell me how his nose led him to the statistical conclusion that we were clearly bound for mid-table at the end of the season. He's not given us that yet and not explained the variables that he's considered, which have allowed him to arrive at that conclusion. What he's posted today is confusing because last night he definitely told me that his statistical analysis pointed to us clearly being bound for mid-table mediocrity this season but now he's telling you that we're not debating where we'll finish.

It's very confusing.

Show me the post where I said “Derby are clearly bound for mid table mediocrity”. 
It’s a pity that you get so confused and are prone to attack people with your sarcasm who simply try and see if there is something behind the run of “bad luck” . I made no clear prediction about our final league position. As to the variables - clearly those are the number of goals we have scored in 3 away games in the league this year. I simply posed the question “Is there more to this”. Having done stats for 3 years you’ll know the likely probability of dominating 3 games possession wise and not scoring is very low indeed.  You’ll be able to put a figure on it won’t you? 

At that point you say, those odds are really low. They’re not impossible but they’re pretty unlikely. Is there something behind this? 

Under Cocu, we had a series of games where we dominated possession. Yet we scored nothing. My question was merely to ask, is this the same as it was then? The chances we’ve had are not that clear-cut and the goals are hardly flowing in, even at home. Compare Peterborough- they won 4-0 at home. We play them next week - how many goals do you think we’ll score?

So @Brailsford Ram, this is a football forum. It’s where we debate things football. If you have a different opinion that’s fine by me. But if you can’t disagree with somebody politely without getting all snipey and sarcastic I suggest you don’t bother. And certainly don’t get all uppity and start to mis-quote people. It will just make you look a a to££er which I’m sure you’re not.

My philosophy in life has always been “Any Derby Fan is a friend of mine” but sadly you’re coming across as part of the rare occurrence when I make an exception. That’s a shame really because I’m sure you’re a decent bloke. 

And I really have been a statistician for 32 years; and I’ve also been a football player, coach and manager. And my teams won trophies and won leagues. So, I’m not the stereotypical nerdy statistician with no football knowledge or experience that your post implied. If you look across the internet you’ll see and come across a lot of serious football statisticians who are able to model game predictions at a seriously reliable rate. 

So, if you can’t read my contributions without getting snipey in your replies, simply don’t bother replying. It’s that simple. 

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Show me the post where I said “Derby are clearly bound for mid table mediocrity”. 
It’s a pity that you get so confused and are prone to attack people with your sarcasm who simply try and see if there is something behind the run of “bad luck” . I made no clear prediction about our final league position. As to the variables - clearly those are the number of goals we have scored in 3 away games in the league this year. I simply posed the question “Is there more to this”. Having done stats for 3 years you’ll know the likely probability of dominating 3 games possession wise and not scoring is very low indeed.  You’ll be able to put a figure on it won’t you? 

At that point you say, those odds are really low. They’re not impossible but they’re pretty unlikely. Is there something behind this? 

Under Cocu, we had a series of games where we dominated possession. Yet we scored nothing. My question was merely to ask, is this the same as it was then? The chances we’ve had are not that clear-cut and the goals are hardly flowing in, even at home. Compare Peterborough- they won 4-0 at home. We play them next week - how many goals do you think we’ll score?

So @Brailsford Ram, this is a football forum. It’s where we debate things football. If you have a different opinion that’s fine by me. But if you can’t disagree with somebody politely without getting all snipey and sarcastic I suggest you don’t bother. And certainly don’t get all uppity and start to mis-quote people. It will just make you look a a to££er which I’m sure you’re not.

My philosophy in life has always been “Any Derby Fan is a friend of mine” but sadly you’re coming across as part of the rare occurrence when I make an exception. That’s a shame really because I’m sure you’re a decent bloke. 

And I really have been a statistician for 32 years; and I’ve also been a football player, coach and manager. And my teams won trophies and won leagues. So, I’m not the stereotypical nerdy statistician with no football knowledge or experience that your post implied. If you look across the internet you’ll see and come across a lot of serious football statisticians who are able to model game predictions at a seriously reliable rate. 

So, if you can’t read my contributions without getting snipey in your replies, simply don’t bother replying. It’s that simple. 

You are Charles Hughes and I claim my £10. 

21 minutes ago, nottingram said:

07A1CCAC-C7B2-4146-98EE-DFFAEC68FF5C.thumb.png.3c283396f57f2354d538e31cfdeaf9a3.png

To add to this, 3.2 is the highest created by any away team in League 1 so far this season and the highest by any team, home or away, this weekend.

Similar figures created over the 5 game weeks so far have seen Charlton score 5 (from 3.3 xG in a 5-1 win at home to Plymouth), Burton score 4 (from 2.8 xG in a 4-4 draw with Accrington) and Exeter score 4 (from 3.0 xG in a 4-0 win over Port Vale).

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

To add to this, 3.2 is the highest created by any away team in League 1 so far this season and the highest by any team, home or away, this weekend.

Similar figures created over the 5 game weeks so far have seen Charlton score 5 (from 3.3 xG in a 5-1 win at home to Plymouth), Burton score 4 (from 2.8 xG in a 4-4 draw with Accrington) and Exeter score 4 (from 3.0 xG in a 4-0 win over Port Vale).

You can bet their opponents didn't have 11 players behind the ball in the final third when they were attacking though.

Just watched the highlights - hugely frustrating and very similar to the Shrewsbury game albeit with much better opportunities. It's a shame, but plenty of positives. We're going away from home and absolutely dominating teams - we've got to continue in the same vein. A couple of home games now to get some points off teams around us.  

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It's very confusing.

Do you have some strange obsession with Ellafella that you are not telling us about? Because it is all a bit silly really and petty tbh. Watch out @Ellafella he will be stalking you next.

Having watched the highlights from fleetwood we appeared to be much stronger than we were against Shrewsbury. I thought in the first half of Shrewsbury we looked okay but struggled to create that much and the second half they were arguably the better team. Against Fleetwood, the chances looked clearer and there were more than against Shrewsbury. One thing that does concern is that apart from Collins we do not appear to have a natural goalscorer in the team, this could be one reason why we're not scoring that many. A second reason could be that we don't have a central figure running behind the defence. Both our wingers are making those runs but these aren't oftentimes accompanied by a central presence.