Martyn Waghorn To Return (He isn't)

Arsene Titman

4 hours ago, David said:

Well no, if England internationals Tomori is willing to leave AC Milan and Mount Chelsea for us in League 1, I think we'd be daft not to ?

But Weimann, Vydra, Hughes all no, and Martin please let's not even go there! 

I'm with you on the sentiment, but we'd be mad not to take back Vydra, Weimann or Hughes at this level ? Not that any of them would come or accept the wages we could offer. 

As for this transfer, if it turned out to be true, I'd be pleased enough. We need a backup striker with a presence up front, and Waggy could do a job. The way he threw himself into the goalpost on the last day of the 20/21 season to help keep us up would be enough for me welcome him back ?

Martin Waghorn is no Eranio but I think he'd be good in L1 on a year contract I'd take him.

On the Eranio sidenote didn't we stay up that season with the Malcom Christie goal at Utd. I thought we went down the season after? 

Edited by Tricky1884
Spelling

9 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Kev was playing  midfield in one of the poorest Rams teams ever. Despite age still showed his class and without his quality we would have gone down. Obviously wasn’t the Kev of old but helped us out of a spot. Won’t hear a word against him. 

Exactly. He didn't need to be the Kevin Hector of old. Being Kevin Hector was enough and he did a decent job in midfield. 

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure what the basis is of all the comments around he can do a good job at this level.

If he fluffs a regulation number of one vs ones in the Championship every game how is this then going to improve whatever division he's playing in.

If the posters making those observations know that Waghorn has honed his finishing skills in the past year or so then fair enough but I very much doubt they have been following his development that closely. 

Ah!  But what you're not taking into account is the standard of the keeper in the aforementioned one on one scenario... L1 keepers are renowned for standing to one side, with legs wide open, whilst lighting a fag.

Providing they don't stop him and ask for a light, he should be ok!  

Just now, Gaspode said:

I'd much rather we signed a young, hungry, goalscorer than an old, well-fed, non-goalscorer.....it's s big no from me...

I think we all would, but we do have to be realistic in our situation of not being able to pay for anyone. Only chance we have of that is an academy signing like Plange or promoting someone already in the academy (Stretton, Cybulski - neither of them look ready).

That said, wouldn't go near Waghorn personally and thankfully, according to Derbyshire Live, we aren't.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why?

At this level imo he'd be a good addition, Not a prolific scorer and to be fair not even a regular scorer, He can play in a couple or 3 positions which would be beneficial in this division, But a player that I believe would add to what we already have, He'd be coming into a squad that's unfamiliar to him, A coach that he knows a crowd that has in the past shown patients, Frustration and even anger at times so he would be at some sort of an advantage than just walking in as a new player, Having familiar surroundings can be a help.

Just now, Donnyram said:

Nothing against him at all but there was an element of disappointment when I read that Rosenior’s “exciting potential signing” could be Waghorn.  

Or not, depending on which ITK you believe.

I prefer to call them ITD - in the dark, like the rest of us.

Waghorn was a great character to have around, but even a couple of years ago he was frustrating to watch.

I can’t believe he’s got any better.

I would like to remember him for that last game and his obvious joy.

Kenaf Roofe would excite, even if we had to wait for him during his obligatory physio sessions.

47 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

How do you have an unwritten rule in a book?

It's one of the chapters in The Great Book of Emptiness. Other chapters worth mentioning are "Russian War Heroes" and "Oasis: All the hits".

3 hours ago, Magicman said:

If we are going for ex rams , still playing , to return I would go for Vydra . 

I didn't realise he had been released from Burnley. Would be a great signing, but unlikely to drop to league one?

22 minutes ago, Cb1289 said:

I didn't realise he had been released from Burnley. Would be a great signing, but unlikely to drop to league one?

Still only thirty, underused at Burnley (he was always an odd signing for them). Suspect he will end up abroad or at a top Championship team. Good signing for someone but be amazed if it was us. 

When I last saw him he said he hoped he could come back one day. I think he meant it. He’s towards the end of his career with a young family, settled in the midlands. It might make sense for him. He was never as potent as I thought he would be but he could do a job. He’s pretty crafty and gives everything on the pitch. 

Edited by jono