Martyn Waghorn To Return (He isn't)

Arsene Titman

The 30 goals he got for us was a decent enough return for someone shoved from pillar to post positionally, not given a settled role.

He was one of many victims of Rooney's inability to get a tune out of his attacking wide players in his final season here (final game aside when we finally allowed our attack minded players to let loose), but I thought he'd regain a bit of confidence / form at Coventry and that hasn't happened. (No idea how they used him though)

After such a fallow season at there though I'm just not convinced he'd add many more to his tally if he comes back.

It's very easy to 'break' attacking players, and very hard to fix them.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Barry the Ram tweeted it this morning, some morons got excited over it - seemingly having forgotten the illegitimacy of our Barry - now the Mail have done a story with nothing specific in it. 

Screams ‘go on Twitter and find a transfer to make up’. Would be shocked if this turns out to be true. 

…but I’ve been wrong before.

46 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If nis wages are low I think it’s an awesome addition to the bench.

I think this is a key point about this potential move, Waghorn isn’t likely to be the “main man” in terms of the fan’s, the club’s, or his own expectations. Collins is clearly the main striker and will start the majority of league games when fit. If Waghorn does return, what it will do is give us another option to Collins if he needs a rest, or we have a cup game like the one on Tuesday night. He has scored goals in his career, would be another option on set pieces when he is on the pitch, and can play as a striker or out wide, the level of his ability to play there is clearly up for debate for some fans but in my view I think as an option off the bench, and to strengthen what we have up front in general, we could definitely do far worse.

I don’t think he’d get excited about Tyler Walker either. 1 in 15 for Portsmouth. So if he completes a full season playing every game he’d get 3 goals. Waggy goal record isn’t amazing by any means but it’s better than that at championship level.

11EF1FA4-9DBA-42D5-80C3-46FE165800C3.png

Edited by McMuffin

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Waghorn couldn't score if he had a huge chunk of meat and a sharp knife.

Not a chance derby would have him back.

Martyn Waghorn set to return to Derby County just one year after the club failed to offer him a new contract, as Rams look to win promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt

Martyn Waghorn's last act as a Derby player was to score a vital penalty

He was then allowed to leave the club due to financial issues at Pride Park

The 32-year-old spent last season at Coventry City but scored just once

Waghorn is now close to agreeing a move back to Liam Rosenior's Derby 

By SIMON JONES FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 16:27, 11 August 2022 | UPDATED: 17:09, 11 August 2022

View comments

Coventry City forward Martyn Waghorn is poised for a return to Derby County.

The 32-year-old left Derby last summer after his contract ended. He had finished his time there by scoring the penalty against Sheffield Wednesday that preserved their Championship status.

However, with financial crisis tearing through the club, he was not offered a new deal and moved to Coventry.

Off topic but weren't Coventry eying up Sibley, who has since started the season pretty well - wonder if there's some sort of exchange deal being mooted by one side or the other.

Not for Waggy obviously (pretty sure anything like that would be free to avoid losing a loan space) - but Kane or Dabo could fill our right back hole, plus Walker or Godden would add numbers or goals up front respectively. Some mishmash of players and cash? There's also a few half-decent younger players there.

I wouldn't take that route personally, I think we hold on to Sibs, utilise him more, and reconsider next summer, but it could be a possibility.

Re: Walker

Fair point, although he seemed to fare better at Mansfield (albeit L2) and Lincoln (L1). No idea what the circumstances were at Portsmouth but he’s certainly “capable” of scoring well at this level.

Edited by StaffsRam