Martyn Waghorn To Return (He isn't)

Arsene Titman

On balance, I'm pleased this appears to be untrue. Returning former players fail more times than they succeed I think. We've been lucky in past with a few (Davison, George, Gemmill and Zak spring to mind) but they were legends first time around and Waggy, nice lad though he is, wasn't. 

4 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Kev the King scored against Watford in his last game to keep us up so job was done 

Nah, one goal doesn't cover the disappointment of the 2nd spell as a whole, which was only disappointing in comparison to the heights of the first spell. 

Otherwise I'd have to give credit to Wiz for his last minute winner vs Wycombe, which in its own way also kept us up. 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nah, one goal doesn't cover the disappointment of the 2nd spell as a whole, which was only disappointing in comparison to the heights of the first spell. 

Otherwise I'd have to give credit to Wiz for his last minute winner vs Wycombe, which in its own way also kept us up. 

Kev was playing  midfield in one of the poorest Rams teams ever. Despite age still showed his class and without his quality we would have gone down. Obviously wasn’t the Kev of old but helped us out of a spot. Won’t hear a word against him. 

16 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Kev was playing  midfield in one of the poorest Rams teams ever. Despite age still showed his class and without his quality we would have gone down. Obviously wasn’t the Kev of old but helped us out of a spot. Won’t hear a word against him. 

I am with you 100%

Bad time for the club, very poor team, and Zak played very well in midfield and kept us up with his performances and the goal against Watford.

Kevin Hector. King. Legend. Ram. ?

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

You're taking this as a personal attack on a player when it's really just an observation that the club has a history of hoping to recreate past glories by bringing back individual players in circumstances that were completely against them. 

Kev - you've said

Shackell - a great year under Clough, brought back on high money and wasn't the same as the team had moved on. 

Wisdom - great marauding right back in mac 1,brought back under rowett and wasn't able to reach the same heights, as the team was totally different. 

Emotions and the apparant unlikeness this will occur aside, I think there are better loan/free options available. Would also want another, more natural wideman rather than a forward who can fill in out wide.

Edited by RamsFan10

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

NML or Barkhuizen arent pacy? 

It’s pretty clear already that NML has a grant from the physics department at the University of Birmingham, for the purpose of teaching Heisenberg’s theorem to each and every left back in Div 1 (by demonstrating that if they know where he is they haven’t a clue how fast he is going; and that if they know how fast he is going they have absolutely no idea where he is, where he’s been or where he is going) 

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well really waghorn was forced out of the door as shinnie was never wanted to leave we all know if waghorn had right service he will score goals for fun.

He wasn't really.  He could have took the 4.5 k a week that Davies did.  Not surprisingly, he took a 2 yr deal elsewhere on 3 times that or whatever  

Can definitely understand some of the negative reaction to this. Despite Waghorn doing a very good job for us when he first arrived (I thought he was the best striker in the league form wise at the end of 18/19), his performances deteriorated badly as time went on, particularly when Rooney took over. In his final season he was absolutely woeful, barring that very final game. Things don’t seem to have improved at Coventry either. For that reason, you do have to be concerned whether he’s got anything left to offer particularly at his age. A striker struggling to score goals is going to be an issue, even dropping down a level to League One.

However, let’s not overreact if he does indeed sign (which is looking unlikely anyway). He’d only be joining to act as third choice striker behind McGoldrick and Collins, as an alternative to Joseph. Barring a bad run of injuries, you’d hope we wouldn’t be relying on him much. He’d offer another versatile option across the frontline and, crucially, we’d probably be able to bring him in permanently. We’ve only got 3 loans left but need 5 players in imo, so we’re going to need to find a couple of players which clubs will let us have for free. There’s not many around, so Waghorn is a good option in that regard. I wouldn’t be totally against it.