Fan behaviour rules

Something needs to be done, so a yes from me.
Pyrotechnics have no place in crowds of folk with little opportunity for a short, sharp escape route.
Individual pitch invaders are tedious at best, embarrassing by their very nature, and a threat to those trying to carry out their job on the pitch.  I would add to that though, that they need to put a stop to ALL pitch invasions.  Last day celebrations? Play off wins?  Relegation avoidance? Yep, those too!

The authorities cannot... and should not... afford to pick and choose who to report, who to punish, and when to turn a blind eye.

I'm all for a cracking atmosphere.  I'm all for passion.  Crikey, I've even been known to be a tad boisterous myself, on the occasional weekend!
But we have to draw lines, and we have to stay on the right side of them.

But if they're gonna talk the talk, they need to be seen to be walking the walk!

I repeat... It's a yes from me.

We simply have to be allowed to be coarse, vulgar and borderline inappropriate. Letting off steam in a controlled environment is better than war and something that is psychologically valuable for many of us. BUT as @Mucker1884says, there are lines that should never be crossed and don’t need to be crossed when all we need is a little uninhibited venting.

Fireworks, racism, crude violence / vandalism, allusions to sexual abuse cross those lines. it just needs intelligence and good policing .. and we are part of the policing. For me the most important thing is that the everyday fan has the courage to know their own lines, voice them regularly so that the ugly ones (who will always be there) have to “hide” it’s societal pressure and it works. At the same time we mustn’t become pursed lipped moralists waiting to point a finger at anyone who doesn’t precisely follow edicts and doctrines 

"This includes working with social media platforms to establish new ways of quicker removal of fan-generated videos of illegal behaviour at football matches, including violent offences and pitch invasions." 

How will this work?

It's not illegal to film such incidents, as far as I'm aware, so why should social media platforms remove them?  

As for the sniffer dogs, who's going to operate them, the clubs or the police?

I'm sure there are already laws around the possession and use of illegal substances, maybe the police could try enforcing them every once in a while, rather than looking the other way for an easy life.

I was subjected to a police dog shoving its nose into my groin when we played Stoke a couple of years ago. I thought it was just being friendly so I reached down to scratch it’s head only to be given a right telling off by the accompanying bolshy policewoman. Perhaps if she’d explained it was a sniffer dog and asked if I minded being searched I might have reacted more favourably….

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I was subjected to a police dog shoving its nose into my groin when we played Stoke a couple of years ago. I thought it was just being friendly so I reached down to scratch it’s head only to be given a right telling off by the accompanying bolshy policewoman. Perhaps if she’d explained it was a sniffer dog and asked if I minded being searched I might have reacted more favourably….

You lucky lucky barstard..

I don’t like blanket bans as a matter of principle - there’s a difference between a lardy plonker running on the pitch against Birmingham giving the away fans the benefit of his ability to count to two and pitch invasions after we won a play off semifinal. And different crimes should receive different penalties. Mind, the chances of the old bill actually prosecuting 10,000 fans on the pitch (or even 1000) is probably pretty remote.

Having said that pitch invasions should be discouraged and so too pyros, though I’d love to know how they successfully (and safely) smuggle the latter past security - Gibson’s lot away being a particularly extreme example of the genre. The security company deserve banning never mind the perpetrators.

2 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Hypocrisy.

The powers that be won’t take strong measures to rule out swearing by players, aggression, dissent, cheating,  all of which have a profound social effect, especially on kids who love the game and on fans. And the reason they won’t take strong measures is that their revenues rely on the ‘passion’. 
And then they pump this out 

Of course they should act against criminality. But they should also act against the causes of it 

13 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don’t like blanket bans as a matter of principle - there’s a difference between a lardy plonker running on the pitch against Birmingham giving the away fans the benefit of his ability to count to two and pitch invasions after we won a play off semifinal. And different crimes should receive different penalties. Mind, the chances of the old bill actually prosecuting 10,000 fans on the pitch (or even 1000) is probably pretty remote.

Having said that pitch invasions should be discouraged and so too pyros, though I’d love to know how they successfully (and safely) smuggle the latter past security - Gibson’s lot away being a particularly extreme example of the genre. The security company deserve banning never mind the perpetrators.

Security, stewards and Police know the games which have higher risk of pyros, they take a decision not to search. Its all too much hassle to actually do summat nowadays. Thats why they make new laws, instead of enforcing current ones, to make them look like they're doing summat.

Notts police have known for years that the residents of that stand above the away end will throw things at the fans below them but someone, I presume the match day commander, has taken the decision to allow it. New rules or laws won't stop it, throwing people out and arresting them will.

1 hour ago, ramit said:

As a fan who doesn't go to matches i can only give a general opinion, which is that i don't support lifetime banning.  Exclusion does not allow for a person a chance to improve their behavior and so they probably won't and therefor such a policy is detrimental to society.  Throwing people in the bin benefits no one.

Do they necessarily mean ‘lifetime’? I agree that would seem overly harsh as an automatic punishment, but a one or two year ban seems perfectly reasonable and allows for reform. I also agree with the comments about the behaviour of footballers. Needs sorting. If rugby players can keep their heads (mostly) and be respectful to all, surely footballers can. 

10 hours ago, jono said:

We simply have to be allowed to be coarse, vulgar and borderline inappropriate. Letting off steam in a controlled environment is better than war and something that is psychologically valuable for many of us. BUT as @Mucker1884says, there are lines that should never be crossed and don’t need to be crossed when all we need is a little uninhibited venting.

Fireworks, racism, crude violence / vandalism, allusions to sexual abuse cross those lines. it just needs intelligence and good policing .. and we are part of the policing. For me the most important thing is that the everyday fan has the courage to know their own lines, voice them regularly so that the ugly ones (who will always be there) have to “hide” it’s societal pressure and it works. At the same time we mustn’t become pursed lipped moralists waiting to point a finger at anyone who doesn’t precisely follow edicts and doctrines 

Spot on. Football is a release-valve for many of us. It serves a psychological function. It ties us in to a place, and to a group. It is “tribal”. It gives us identity and belonging in an increasingly de-personalising world. Being at a football match serves a large number needs within us. 
There is a real danger that “the authorities” will cut the cloth too narrowly and the experience will be reduced. Common sense needs to prevail. 
interestingly I read a piece the other day by Frank Skinner the tv comedian who now openly admits that his and Baddiel’s scapegoating of Jason Lee was nothing short of bullying and plain wrong. It was 30 years ago but confirmation that values and thresholds of acceptability change. The line though still has to be drawn very carefully and football fans themselves should be consulted carefully where that line exists. 

10 hours ago, ramit said:

As a fan who doesn't go to matches i can only give a general opinion, which is that i don't support lifetime banning.  Exclusion does not allow for a person a chance to improve their behavior and so they probably won't and therefor such a policy is detrimental to society.  Throwing people in the bin benefits no one.

Well one of the obvious intentions of a lifetime ban is to deter others rather than improve the behaviour of the offender. Depending on the severity of the crime I certainly do support lifetime bans. It’s not as if they are being locked up for life. They can still get on with the rest of their life but they’re not welcome here.

Edited by Tamworthram