Best signings so far

sage

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

I got the impression from his interview that he was viewing us as a stepping stone to greater things (yes I’m an old cynic). Quite happy to sell him to Chelsea for £50 million in two years time.?

It just depends how we do. He could get caught on the crest of a wave and onwards and upwards we go.

25 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Interesting comment, how do you mean ? This in terms of his attitude?

I'm not too privy into his attitude, although I'm sure it's good, but when he was at Barnsley - he was the one who would be making the most passes, most tackles, he would be having shots... in short: he would be the one that would make things happen. 

I really liked him then and he seemed to play a slightly different role for Villa, but at Barnsley he was involved in every single passage of play. 

• 3 months later...
On 13/07/2022 at 19:26, sage said:

What is our best new signing so far?

What is re-signing of last years players?

Wildsmith.

Probably deserves a thread on him but found this for starters.

So hope we get to tie him down to a longer deal in time, he was massively underrated by Owls fans and yet he’s flourishing here, now he’s a regular keeper.

This is his big breakthrough season and he’s got plenty of time on his side as a keeper. We keep finding decent keepers and Joe is going to be right up there.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Wildsmith.

Probably deserves a thread on him but found this for starters.

So hope we get to tie him down to a longer deal in time, he was massively underrated by Owls fans and yet he’s flourishing here, now he’s a regular keeper.

This is his big breakthrough season and he’s got plenty of time on his side as a keeper. We keep finding decent keepers and Joe is going to be right up there.

His decision making is stunningly good. With his feet as well as everything else. If he can reach it, he catches it. If he can’t he punches. If he has a man close and in space he lays it off. Positionally he seems superb. Some of the fine keepers we’ve had recently have been less than reliable. Allsop though did a good job but we have found his equal in Wildsmith. 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

His decision making is stunningly good. With his feet as well as everything else. If he can reach it, he catches it. If he can’t he punches. If he has a man close and in space he lays it off. Positionally he seems superb. Some of the fine keepers we’ve had recently have been less than reliable. Allsop though did a good job but we have found his equal in Wildsmith. 

Agree with all that, we know keepers make odd mistakes, which sometimes puts them right under the microscope, as so often change games.  When I watched him against Rovers, I wondered if he could have come out more for one of their goals, but it was irrelevant to the end result.

My point though, is for someone who cost us nothing, given Owls fans comments, I had fairly low, steady at best expectations. Joe has surpassed that because like all good keepers, he’s keeping us in games and will earn us bonus points along the way.

He’s definitely the best signing so far for me, though NML runs him close. 

Wildsmith, NML, Cashin

Wildsmith’s save of that deflected shot was one of the best saves I’ve seen in many a year. He’s very very good and young with it. 

Cashin. Again and again strong consistent performances. So much potential- Could easily have lost him. Foundation stone of a new team (or someone who somebody will pay proper money for ) 

NML. Proper pacy, old fashioned, game changing winger - except he’s built like a M1-A1 Abrahams main battle tank. 

Wildsmith is getting better and better, and has plenty more years in him. Watched the Birmingham loss on Sky. Beilik went off with a knee injury. Just seem to slip on the wet turf. Can’t be unlucky enough to get ACL3. That would just about see him to the end of his Rams contract.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wildsmith is getting better and better, and has plenty more years in him. Watched the Birmingham loss on Sky. Beilik went off with a knee injury. Just seem to slip on the wet turf. Can’t be unlucky enough to get ACL3. That would just about see him to the end of his Rams contract.

and cost Derby another 200-250k in world cup payments.  Add it to the 10 million in transfer fees and wages.   Surprised he was playing, thought he'd already be on a plane. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

and cost Derby another 200-250k in world cup payments.  Add it to the 10 million in transfer fees and wages.   Surprised he was playing, thought he'd already be on a plane. 

Is there ever a game when he’s not in some kind of agony?

Best signing:

Wildsmith. A position we had zero players for and yet have managed to arrive at someone who looks brilliant at this level. 

Most exciting signing: 

NML. When did we last have a winger that could take on and beat a man with such ease? If he had consistent end product he’d be premier league still. 

Most enjoyable signing to watch: 

McGoldrick. Guys playing 3D chess whilst every one else is playing noughts and crosses at times with some of his touches. 

18 hours ago, Magicman said:

Since end of the last season in order including loans 

NML 

Wildsmith 

Collins

Smith 

Barkhuzien

Chester 

Roberts 

McGoldrick 

Hourihane 

Osula