Best signings so far

sage

On 09/11/2022 at 23:17, Zag zig said:

Wildsmith.

Probably deserves a thread on him but found this for starters.

So hope we get to tie him down to a longer deal in time, he was massively underrated by Owls fans and yet he’s flourishing here, now he’s a regular keeper.

This is his big breakthrough season and he’s got plenty of time on his side as a keeper. We keep finding decent keepers and Joe is going to be right up there.

He does look a really good keeper.  He has a big weakness in his kicking.  If he can get that right, he could be a steal.

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

He has played better and the goals give us a boost. Pity Dobbin can't learn that knack no wonder if he was any good he be in Evertons squad not EFL1.

What is the obsession with Dobbin? How has he upset you so much? The majority of your posts seem to be aimed purely at criticising him. 
Dobbin was signed by Rosenior to seemingly add some pace and youth to the side alongside the older, permanent signings in midfield/attack. He’s a 19 year old playing his first season of senior football, there aren’t many examples who walk into a side and are instant world beaters or play at the top level, and given our situation in the summer we couldn’t attract those to the club anyway. The better loan players are taken by clubs further up the pyramid and often involve loan fees (which we couldn’t /cannot pay). 
It seems neither Rosenior nor subsequently Warne see him as first choice, he is one option in our limited squad and puts effort in whenever he plays. Due to Barkhuizen’s injury Dobbin is playing more regularly of late. He has 1 goal and 3 assists in his 18 appearances, which isn’t the best output in the world, however he almost added to both today which shows signs of progress. 

He is a young player at the start of his career who can learn and develop plenty more. People paid to pick and coach footballers professionally rate him. We all understand you don’t like him, not sure anyone is certain why that is.

He is a Derby County player for the season and I for one will continue supporting him and his efforts for the team as we continue to recover. 

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Talking of best signings so far, have we signed the recruitment manager yet!. January window is open in 50 days time and I know we can't buy anyone, but do some players get released from their clubs in January.

Magicman’s name written all over it ?

Sorry, make that 1 goal, 4 assists in 21 appearances for Dobbin in all competitions according to Transfermarkt. Other “attacking” players by comparison are;

Barkhuizen 2 goals, 2 assists in 16 apps.

Collins 5 goals, 0 assists in 19 apps.

McGoldrick 5 goals, 2 assists in 15 apps.

Mendez-Laing 3 goals, 6 assists in 20 apps.

Osula 4 goals, 0 assists in 12 apps.

NML with the best output statistically and adds that “x-factor” to the side. All of them have contributed.

It’s between NML and Wildsmith for me as to the best “new” signing. 

19 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What is the obsession with Dobbin? How has he upset you so much? The majority of your posts seem to be aimed purely at criticising him. 
Dobbin was signed by Rosenior to seemingly add some pace and youth to the side alongside the older, permanent signings in midfield/attack. He’s a 19 year old playing his first season of senior football, there aren’t many examples who walk into a side and are instant world beaters or play at the top level, and given our situation in the summer we couldn’t attract those to the club anyway. The better loan players are taken by clubs further up the pyramid and often involve loan fees (which we couldn’t /cannot pay). 
It seems neither Rosenior nor subsequently Warne see him as first choice, he is one option in our limited squad and puts effort in whenever he plays. Due to Barkhuizen’s injury Dobbin is playing more regularly of late. He has 1 goal and 3 assists in his 18 appearances, which isn’t the best output in the world, however he almost added to both today which shows signs of progress. 

He is a young player at the start of his career who can learn and develop plenty more. People paid to pick and coach footballers professionally rate him. We all understand you don’t like him, not sure anyone is certain why that is.

He is a Derby County player for the season and I for one will continue supporting him and his efforts for the team as we continue to recover. 

Dont know whether im in the minority but i think Lewis is doing well saying its his first taste of first team football

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Dont know whether im in the minority but i think Lewis is doing well saying its his first taste of first team football

I’m with you, he’s raw and could definitely improve his goals and assists. However as a 19 year old he has the chance to grow and learn the more games he plays and will do so in time. I see him putting the effort in alongside his teammates and that goes a long way for me. 

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Judging by the last 4 games, I think our keeper is in with a shout for best signing so far.

It’s not even a debate. NML has been great but he’s in his 30s. Wildsmith is 26 and could be with us for 5 years if he plays like this. 

On 13/11/2022 at 15:50, Premier ram said:

He has the priceless ability to take the ball past defenders whilst others turn and play backwards.

Like all forwards, he needs to learn what he does next and when. The timing and accuracy of shots and passes will define him. He’s still in the learning phase and there will be failures. Our job is to support him, however frustrating that may be at times.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

It’s not even a debate. NML has been great but he’s in his 30s. Wildsmith is 26 and could be with us for 5 years if he plays like this. 

Maybe you could change that 5 to a 10. Wildsmith has probably been the most pleasing signing, as nothing was expected of him and we felt that he was just going to be a back up to the 'proper' goalkeeper. Much was made of the other top level signings and expected of them, as they were players who had performed at a much higher level.

40 minutes ago, ram59 said:

we felt that he was just going to be a back up to the 'proper' goalkeeper. 

Who felt that? That was never going to be the case. He came here to be a number 1. Whether he was capable was another question at the time, of course.