Best signings so far

sage

27 minutes ago, jono said:

Readi g between some lines it seems Wildsmith fell out of favour and was in and out of squads but go back a bit and he was highly rated. I’d like to see him at No1 .. with Cash and Curtis and new signings he’s got some quality protecting him. 

All pure guesswork of course but I’m going to roll with it, no hasty judgments for at least a handful of games

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was judging way, way too early and not based on any real memory of him playing. I vaguely recall him making mistakes playing for Wednesday but it was mostly based on hearsay.

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was judging way, way too early and not based on any real memory of him playing. I vaguely recall him making mistakes playing for Wednesday but it was mostly based on hearsay.

Hope you don’t think I was having a go. Just musing and chewing the cud. I have zilch idea of his abilities but just after we signed him a Wendies fan came on and gave what I thought was an honest sounding appraisal, covering his ups and downs.  Somewhere in it all he had a season or so where he was a stalwart at a young age. Based on my sense that Goalies age well I reckoned with the right men in front of him then it shouldn’t  be a problem … But I really am guessing, I don’t even know what he looks like, never mind if he can command his area  or catch a ball ?

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Hope you don’t think I was having a go. Just musing and chewing the cud. I have zilch idea of his abilities but just after we signed him a Wendies fan came on and gave what I thought was an honest sounding appraisal, covering his ups and downs.  Somewhere in it all he had a season or so where he was a stalwart at a young age. Based on my sense that Goalies age well I reckoned with the right men in front of him then it shouldn’t  be a problem … But I really am guessing, I don’t even know what he looks like, never mind if he can command his area  or catch a ball ?

No, not at all. I was judging too soon and based on next to nothing.

I do just think goalkeeper is a critical position.

30 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

What I do see from these signings is strong characters. Having these new players in the dressing room will do the younger players the world of good. 

Yes.  And 8 of the experienced signings that we've (so far) made that can reasonably expect to be in and around the first team have all in their interviews talked about promotion.  Doesn't mean it will happen but the younger players will have had knocked out of them any thoughts of a season of stabilisation after the last couple of years

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Best new signing is Hourihane because I never expected him to actually sign. There was Championship interest and he's still more than good enough to be playing above League One.

Best re-signing I'd go with Cashin. There's a big argument for Davies, but to have a promising young player decide to stay is really important when so many have decided to walk, or even worm their way out of their contracts. Cashin is the kind of player who could really thrive this season, and his importance to us in 9 months time could be a hell of a lot more than it is now.

That saved me writing a post! ?

It's the obvious choice but 

Hourihane, I'd have been happy if we'd signed him in the championship nevermind league one.

Curtis, he may only have one year left so not thinking long term, but he is everything we want in a player and leader. Whilst it's good for the fresh start with players, I think you need someone like him to remind the current squad where we are at, what we've been through. I wouldn't want that togetherness just lost from last season with a whole new squad.

Leaving aside Hourihane as the staggering marquee signing, I'm most excited by Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing. Two big, quick & direct wingers who I suspect will grab plenty of goals & assists between them this term. Will be invaluable when trying to break down massed defences (particularly at home) & on the counter attack away from home. The timing of both signings was great too - really set the tone for what has been a really impressive few days of signings.

As a general point, whilst we obviously needed experience in the squad, the physicality & character of the new men suggests we're not going to be a pushover - essential to allow our more technical players to shine against the more 'agricultural' opponents & also to secure those hard fought results we're going to need away from home. 

Cashin.

Whilst it’s great to have Curtis resigning for another year, Cashin has shown great potential, it’s rare to see a centre back break through from the academy at such a young age and stick his name on the team sheet as he did last season.

Really think we have a player on our hands here which we need to get tied down to a long term contract as soon as we can.

i still rank this signing above any of the players that have come in.