Max Bird

Scott129

It’s a gamble for us.

Bird and Knight probably can’t sign contract extensions due to wage restrictions and budget cap. Should we get promoted, I’d see no reason why they wouldn’t extend next summer.

But on the flip side, if we don’t get promoted, we will almost certainly lose them for nothing next summer.

So do we cash in on them now? We could get promoted without them. But having them in the squad gives us a better chance of promotion as both players are clearly solid Championship standard.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s a gamble for us.

Bird and Knight probably can’t sign contract extensions due to wage restrictions and budget cap. Should we get promoted, I’d see no reason why they wouldn’t extend next summer.

But on the flip side, if we don’t get promoted, we will almost certainly lose them for nothing next summer.

So do we cash in on them now? We could get promoted without them. But having them in the squad gives us a better chance of promotion as both players are clearly solid Championship standard.

I know it wouldn’t be huge money but I assume we’d get “compensation” if they left when their contracts were up next year.  Unless we are made an offer we can’t refuse and they are still motivated to play for the club then I’d keep them in a big push for promotion. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s a gamble for us.

I’d stick with Bird and twist with Knight. 

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s a gamble for us.

See where we are in January, I guess.

If we're up near the top or in a relegation scrap, keep them.

If we're languishing in midtable with nothing much to play for, it might be more beneficial to sell.

21 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

If we're languishing in midtable with nothing much to play for, it might be more beneficial to sell.

No chance we’re in a relegation scrap this season. Not with our current squad contracted for the season.

Even though it’s still light. Half of League One is clearly a level below.

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

No chance we’re in a relegation scrap this season. Not with our current squad contracted for the season.

I agree - purely hypothetical.

53 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

I reckon that's the conversation Rosenior is having with them.
Give us 6 months, and if we're not challenging, then you're free to look around.
Don't we get a fee for both anyway as they're still young?

2 minutes ago, Quagga said:

I reckon that's the conversation Rosenior is having with them.
Give us 6 months, and if we're not challenging, then you're free to look around.
Don't we get a fee for both anyway as they're still young?

They're not just young, they're under contract (possibly 2 years as well, Bird & Sibley) so a fee would need to be substantial here

Edited by SamUltraRam

38 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Famous last words. Sure we’ve got some good players now and are feeling a bit optimistic, but let’s wait 6-10 games before declaring ourselves kings and levels above. The size of our stadium and fanbase won’t be worth much for 90 mins if the team starts poorly.

I want to be optimistic, while also not being arrogant!