David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

All I've ever seen down the years is that trying to predict what you will get based upon their previous season is a mugs game.

Nobody was predicting didzy was going to be a key player for us. Certainly not a 25 goal machine.

And when we have signed players with fantastic recent scoring records they're almost inevitably flops.

So may as well just see who we get and don't pay attention to his recent numbers as they're rarely a reliable guide.

Unless it's haaland of course....

I agree that past achievements are no guarantee of future performance but, couldn’t the same be said of McGoldrick? He scored more goals in a single season last year than he’s ever managed before. Who is to say he would do the same again next season? 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree that past achievements are no guarantee of future performance but, couldn’t the same be said of McGoldrick? He scored more goals in a single season last year than he’s ever managed before. Who is to say he would do the same again next season? 

Exactly.... we're violently agreeing I think.

I don't think we've lost a "25 goals a season" striker as he's done it once in a long career across many divisions.

No need for wrist slashing. Or for writing off a striker signed who scored 8 last season.👍

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Exactly.... we're violently agreeing I think.

I don't think we've lost a "25 goals a season" striker as he's done it once in a long career across many divisions.

No need for wrist slashing. Or for writing off a striker signed who scored 8 last season.👍

I believe we do agree. I was just a tad confused though by your comment “now we’re going to have to take another punt” which I read, in error it seems, to mean we wouldn’t have to had McG re-signed.

Sad to see him go. But we didn’t get promoted with him, in fact we didn’t even get in the play offs. So now it’s time to build a team. Not rely on one person to score all the goals.

Same for roberts, he won’t be taking cashins spot and there are better wing backs out there so as much as I think we should if signed him I doubt he’d be first choice so no major loss. 

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Plymouth won the league with more points than we’ve ever managed in our history. Their top two scorers got 13 goals & 12 goals respectively. For reference, James Collins got 11.

We simply don’t need to have a 25 goal striker to get promoted. Spreading the goals around more will do just fine, and it would be better to not be so reliant on one individual.

Yeah, we just need another James Collins.

Oh, wait...

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

He's joined the club he has always supported and almost certainly for less money than he would have got elsewhere. Whilst we've lost our player of 22/23 you can only applaud his decision. 

It'll be no different to when Will Hughes turns down more lucrative offers to rejoin us one day. 

Oh dear god no

It’s a shame as he had a cracking season and was great to watch.

But it’s obvious why he’s gone, as he’s probably only got a season or two left in him before retirement and needs to make that move now.

For us it’s a disappointment, but we we’re always going to be phasing him out anyway, hence us only offering the one year extension.

We now need a completely new forward line. As well as better goal distribution throughout the side.

If we get this right, we can come out ahead!

I'd have been happy if he could have scored 15 goals next season – that would have been a big ask. The downside was his home-to-away ratio, I think it ended up something like 20/5. Sad there is no farewell, just the Wednesday game as an au revoir to several, the bitter taste that left.

So far, so bad, Curtis Davies released, McGoldrick choosing Notts over us, Roberts off to Bristol, Knight having many suitors. I really don't want to read about Warne selling the club to potential players, what a great guy he is, that you get a free mug. That never worked in the last transfer window.

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

You wouldn't want Will back one day?

Not at all  so many on here bang on about how good he is. I say he was outstanding when he burst onto the scene at such a young age. As the years progressed his ability didn't love up to the hype. Don't get me wrong he was still by far one of the best players we had at the time. Then he got injured and I don't think he ever really hit those heights again. And come on, he has never really set the Premier league on fire. So no  let's remember the Will we had, because it could be a disappointment if he came back