David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

7 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

I think last season would be hard to beat and he has most likely peaked with that. Plus we relied on him too heavily. Let's see who Warne brings in to replace him.

Yea, glad he has gone. Even if he had pleaded with Warney for a new contract I would have sent him on his way. Well past it. Notts County and League 2 his level 🤔

7 minutes ago, alram said:

yes it is, now we have to react to a player leaving 

that is literally the definition of reactive

we would already have a replacement sorted if we were proactive, no doubt they will be working on a replacement now but its completely reactive

How do you know we haven’t got a replacement sorted?  Dominic at the DET has tweeted to players on holiday is holding up closing deals.  And you’ve contradicted yourself. If we’re already working on a replacement - presumably in anticipation of Didzy moving - how is that reactive?  If we are being reactive then about 1 hour ago PW was be sat there thinking “bugger, didn’t see that coming” and now doing something about it.

5 minutes ago, alram said:

we would already have a replacement sorted if we were proactive, no doubt they will be working on a replacement now but its completely reactive

What if we have already signed a replacement but he hasn’t come to the club to do the badge kissing thing yet cos he’s in Dubai and it would have been disrespectful to McGoldrick to announce his replacement before he left.( No idea about Dubai by the way)

16 minutes ago, alram said:

The club have been working on recruiting players since before last season ended, which is the definition of being proactive. The club proactively offered a contract to McGoldrick. There’s every possibility that a replacement has been sorted, the transfer window is yet to open and there’s plenty of time for announcements to be made, in my view you’re just very keen to turn this into a bigger drama than it is. It will only be a major problem if we fail to recruit players before the season starts, McGoldrick was great, other players could be too, wait and see before having a full on meltdown. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The club have been working on recruiting players since before last season ended, which is the definition of being proactive. The club proactively offered a contract to McGoldrick. There’s every possibility that a replacement has been sorted, the transfer window is yet to open and there’s plenty of time for announcements to be made, in my view you’re just very keen to turn this into a bigger drama than it is. It will only be a major problem if we fail to recruit players before the season starts, McGoldrick was great, other players could be too, wait and see before having a full on meltdown. 

😁

R.3408c850616188344bb3c02d3f24eb82?rik=P

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yea, glad he has gone. Even if he had pleaded with Warney for a new contract I would have sent him on his way. Well past it. Notts County and League 2 his level 🤔

Really hoping this post is steeped in sarcasm.

1 hour ago, alram said:

our best player just left for a league two club

next question

Surely he is not our player, his contract ended and with it his association with us, he looked at the offers available and made his choice to go in another direction, that implies no slur, no insult to us just one man's decision on his future! He was not ours to lose!! 

Again, absolutely gutted McG has left, but feel much better that he went to Notts rather than any other club.

Clearly a true gentleman.

We needed a striker in with McG here so 2 should be coming...could be an exciting few weeks.

I hope we are going for the Cole Stocktons and May's of the world, proven league 1 goal scorers.

Ah, good luck to him. At his best he looked a class apart in this league and he was seriously good fun to watch. Some games he had me actually feeling sorry for the opposition CBs, that's how good he was 😂

Sadly, it was a one year deal, it's over and he wants to end his career on his terms and elsewhere. I think we just have to accept and respect that and maybe not catastrophise it into something more challenging than it is. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not really. We signed a player who had literally NEVER been a 25 goal a season striker.

That he then went on to score more last season than in the previous 10 combined or summat, was hardly predictable but very fortunate for DCFC.

Now we're going to have to take another punt....

So we sign another player that has never been a 25 goal a season striker but he does it for us. Simple. 😀

48 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This, pretty much. It could be the perfect scenario if we recruit well - and especially if (as it would seem) he wanted to go to Notts County anyway. We did well out of him; he must feel the same after a brilliant season for him personally.

As I tried not to moan too often last season though, amidst the brilliance, he gave the ball away far too much (as Warne publicly recognised) and I never thought he was truly a "Warne player" (whether or not that's a good argument in other people's books is another issue!)

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

One who wanted too prove himself again.  We won't be that lucky again.  He was also one of the last in the door following a quick turnover of established higher division players coming into the club.  Our top scorer and best player has exited the building, that will have a serious effect on anyone thinking of joining from a higher division this time round or anyone with other options.

You never know. Who would have expected us to sign a player that would go on to score so many goals for us at the start of last season? To be honest though, I don’t care too much if our top scorer only manages something like 15 goals provided we get the results we need. I don’t mind if the goals are more evenly shared around.

I really don’t think McGoldrick’s departure will put anyone, who was previously thinking of joining us, off from signing. I reckon any such players will get the reason he has chosen Notts County and why we didn’t also offer him a 2 year contract (assuming we didn’t). 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So we sign another player that has never been a 25 goal a season striker but he does it for us. Simple. 😀

All I've ever seen down the years is that trying to predict what you will get based upon their previous season is a mugs game.

Nobody was predicting didzy was going to be a key player for us. Certainly not a 25 goal machine.

And when we have signed players with fantastic recent scoring records they're almost inevitably flops.

So may as well just see who we get and don't pay attention to his recent numbers as they're rarely a reliable guide.

Unless it's haaland of course....