David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

This time last year we felt that it was crucial to keep Curtis Davies, after his performances the previous season. We now feel that this season was a bit of a disappointment and that he didn't contribute as much as we, and probably, he felt that he should have.

Any player getting to the age of these players, are potentially one season from their performances falling off the end of a cliff. Having said that, I hope Didzy finishes on a high at Notts in the lower division.

On 10/06/2023 at 17:29, Ewe Ram said:

I’m ok with it. At least he made his decision in good time instead of hanging on. Now we can get about our recruitment 

And it’s for a good reason 

You can take it when it’s his boyhood club, can’t you?

Massive respect to Didzy for rejoining his boyhood club. Hopefully it will benefit both Notts County and ourselves. Would not want to go into the new season relying so much on one aging player for goals. Hopefully this issue will be addressed by Warne and his recruitment team before the new season.

23 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

We nearly didn't have a club twelve months ago.  Clowes bought the club despite never wanting that position.  If he thinks Warne is the man for the job that is good enough for me: he has certainly paid for his right to make the call.

I remember a fair portion of fans on here in favour of the club going bust and starting in the lower divisions (I wasn't one of them), but except for paying a huge amount of money for our club and I am not a Clowes fan yet, I need persuading. I never was of the Americans either, nor Webb, or Gadsby. I was sad to see Rosenior pushed, and Wassall too, bemused by both decisions that have never been communicated to fans. I am so disappointed to see McGoldrick leave. I am reading into it that we would not offer him a two-year contact.

Not finding a sponsor and that awful shirt design too didn't thrill me. The January transfer window could not have been more disappointing. Money-wise David Clowes's personal wealth is around £250m, family-wise considerably more – on par with Gibson at Boro – so I will be disappointed if we don't spend something, a few bob, and show ambition to get out of this league asap. I'm hoping that to attract Warne he gave him promises that the cheque book would be dusted off. It's ages since we paid a fee for a player and that was £11,000 to Dungannon Swifts.

38 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I remember a fair portion of fans on here in favour of the club going bust and starting in the lower divisions (I wasn't one of them), but except for paying a huge amount of money for our club and I am not a Clowes fan yet, I need persuading. I never was of the Americans either, nor Webb, or Gadsby. I was sad to see Rosenior pushed, and Wassall too, bemused by both decisions that have never been communicated to fans. I am so disappointed to see McGoldrick leave. I am reading into it that we would not offer him a two-year contact.

Not finding a sponsor and that awful shirt design too didn't thrill me. The January transfer window could not have been more disappointing. Money-wise David Clowes's personal wealth is around £250m, family-wise considerably more – on par with Gibson at Boro – so I will be disappointed if we don't spend something, a few bob, and show ambition to get out of this league asap. I'm hoping that to attract Warne he gave him promises that the cheque book would be dusted off. It's ages since we paid a fee for a player and that was £11,000 to Dungannon Swifts.

dPvBuOFeMDZAevdYwhY=

48 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Heck. You’re a bundle of joy. As if Monday mornings weren’t depressing enough already.😀

I really don’t think there were many/any who would have seriously preferred us to go bust and start in a lower league. I reckon many were just trying to focus on the (few) positives if the worst ever did happen.

Regarding Clowes, he should be everyone’s hero at the moment for stepping in to same the club from a worse fate. If he needs to pump in a load of his own money to win you round then I think you’ll be sadly disappointed. I can’t see him splashing the cash (and rightly so). Plus, regardless of his wealth, and how much of it he might be foolishly prepared to risk on the club, the remaining restrictions may well limit this.

Finally, if the announcement of a shirt sponsor is likely to have thrilled anyone that’s just weird. Shirt sponsorship is just a necessary evil (it does nothing to enhance the appearance of the shirts) in order to generate income. We should just be hoping it’s not a silly name, an ugly appearance or an unsavoury business.

Completely understand the feeling of disappointment with McGoldrick leaving.

Can't completely understand the frustration with the club.

In terms of that departure, I'm not sure what we could have expected the club to do in that situation? 

The player has dropped a level, even took a pay cut to join Notts County, whilst our rivals may see that as some kind of embarrassment, they are clearly ignoring minor details such as seeing out his career at the club he supports.

Absolutely no embarrassment or shame in that transfer, in fact it's refreshing to see whilst the superstars of the game are chasing that Saudi money.

You can't help but wish him all the best and hope he has that fairy tale end to his career.

In terms of our own transfer activity or lack of so far, even if we were to sign 10 players today, our first pre season friendly is 5 weeks away.

We're not on the eve of the first game with no pre season training with the new players.

If you want to fully believe every single transfer rumour, that's more on you than the club itself, if you have been a football fan for any length of time during this social media era, you should know how it all works.

I personally wasn't expecting much if anything until the end of the month at the earliest. The transfer window itself doesn't even officially open until Wednesday.

I thought the forum would be also be pretty quiet without the drama.

Anyhow, McGoldrick, you won't be reading this but once again, thanks for everything, wish you all the best at Notts County, hope it works out for you and you can help lift them into League 1.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Completely understand the feeling of disappointment with McGoldrick leaving.

Can't completely understand the frustration with the club.

In terms of that departure, I'm not sure what we could have expected the club to do in that situation? 

The player has dropped a level, even took a pay cut to join Notts County, whilst our rivals may see that as some kind of embarrassment, they are clearly ignoring minor details such as seeing out his career at the club he supports.

Absolutely no embarrassment or shame in that transfer, in fact it's refreshing to see whilst the superstars of the game are chasing that Saudi money.

You can't help but wish him all the best and hope he has that fairy tale end to his career.

In terms of our own transfer activity or lack of so far, even if we were to sign 10 players today, our first pre season friendly is 5 weeks away.

We're not on the eve of the first game with no pre season training with the new players.

If you want to fully believe every single transfer rumour, that's more on you than the club itself, if you have been a football fan for any length of time during this social media era, you should know how it all works.

I personally wasn't expecting much if anything until the end of the month at the earliest. The transfer window itself doesn't even officially open until Wednesday.

I thought the forum would be also be pretty quiet without the drama.

Anyhow, McGoldrick, you won't be reading this but once again, thanks for everything, wish you all the best at Notts County, hope it works out for you and you can help lift them into League 1.

It's reasoned posters like you that inhibit the amount of traffic seen through this website.

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

He paid the money to rescue them; he did not do it to be a sugar daddy - literally no one else was willing to do it for other than pennies on the pound with the commensurate costs that would entail.  I don't think spending a few bob on players is Clowes style - he will want the club to run on its own income, which should always have been the case.  

He makes the decisions because he bought the club.  It is that simple.  

We have no idea what McGoldrick was offered.  He might have decided he wanted to join Notts County irrespective of what was offered: he, too, is a millionaire who can afford that choice.  They had just got promoted, so might have fancied the challenge of playing for the team he is a fan of and started his career at.  He had no remaining contract so was free to do as he wanted.

On 10/06/2023 at 15:57, alram said:

okay know it all, he says he wants to RETURN to the club that brought him through the academy nothing to do with playing for notts because he supports them

i still stand by he is a forest fan, nothing about that statement changed my opinion on it. if anything it made me more sure.

In McGoldricks own words about his move to Notts County:

"This is the team I support and I’m a Nottingham boy so it was perfect in that sense but also I’ve looked at the club and the direction they’re going in with the football they play and the buzz around the place."

Look we can all tell you are upset, but lets not be silly shall we. He doesnt have to burn a forest shirt in front of us to prove he is truly a notts county fan. 

You would do exactly the same if derby county came knocking

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In McGoldricks own words about his move to Notts County:

"This is the team I support and I’m a Nottingham boy so it was perfect in that sense but also I’ve looked at the club and the direction they’re going in with the football they play and the buzz around the place."

Look we can all tell you are upset, but lets not be silly shall we. He doesnt have to burn a forest shirt in front of us to prove he is truly a notts county fan. 

You would do exactly the same if derby county came knocking

But he doesn't support Notts County. @alramhas told us all many times, and he's much more reliable than McGoldrick himself.

Joined Derby, told us he was a Notts County fan.

Joins Notts County having watched them at Wembley, tells them he’s a Notts County fan.

All sounds a bit suspicious if you ask me. 

I bet if he joined Lincoln he would tell them he’s a Notts County fan as well, would never trust a man that consistently tells people he’s a Notts County fan. Clearly a Forest fan on the wind up. 

5 hours ago, Macintosh said:

You are Mel Morris and I claim my £5!!

2 hours ago, David said:

Joined Derby, told us he was a Notts County fan.

Joins Notts County having watched them at Wembley, tells them he’s a Notts County fan.

All sounds a bit suspicious if you ask me. 

I bet if he joined Lincoln he would tell them he’s a Notts County fan as well, would never trust a man that consistently tells people he’s a Notts County fan. Clearly a Forest fan on the wind up. 

Not something you’d readily admit to, to be fair