David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I genuinely don't understand why I've just seen "League two is a bigger pull than Warne"

It's not league two. It's Notts County. It's his club. He wants to retire there. Fair play. Could have stayed here for more money. He's literally just said himself that no other club he would have gone for. 

Internally they would have known about this for ages. I would imagine that Mcgoldrick has said "Look if Notts go up there's a chance I could go back there and I'd want to"

I wish him nothing but the best. Was unbelievable for us last season and without him we'd have been nowhere.

But that was the season of his life and we cannot be relying on him to do that again. We need 3-4 strikers chipping in with 8-15 goals each. We need wide players chipping in with 5-10. 

It's not just about replacing Mcgoldricks goals with an individual it needs to be spread. 

Other than Hourihane and NML. Goals from other areas of the team were pitiful.

But fans using this as a stick to beat Warne or the club with are a joke.

beat the club with or voice our concerns about a lackluster start to the summer?

this is the year we should be kicking on, feels like we are heading backwards as things stand. it may change, but i am not going to sit here and ignore the red flags, the club needs to be proactive not reactive

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

Clairvoyant as well? 

How about we settle the f*** down and see what happens 

the window has been open for 5 minutes 

Just common sense.  Seen it for years going back to Tim Sherwood heading to Blackburn.  My Crystal ball shows me that a team from the Conference has risen in the East and will have twice the goal power of Derby next season.  A Portuguese traveller who was due to venture 16 miles down the road will now remain in situ or consider an option further South.

Just now, alram said:

beat the club with or voice our concerns about a lackluster start to the summer?

this is the year we should be kicking on, feels like we are heading backwards as things stand. it may change, but i am not going to sit here and ignore the red flags, the club needs to be proactive not reactive

This time last year we had about 6 players. Had signed nobody. Yet we still ended up with a team that missed out on the play offs on the last day. 

We'll be far down the line with signings I'm sure.

To be honest, I am not really worried about who is leaving.

Contracts come to an end. Loan deals come to an end. Players will make their choices.

We don’t want to get reckless and desperate just to hang on to a player or two, regardless of how good they may be. We’d be going back to the same ways that got us here in the first place.

For me, we don’t need impressive individuals. We need signings that will contribute to us being a better, more cohesive, more effective team.

Let’s see who we bring in before we pass judgement.

2 minutes ago, alram said:

You have absolutely no idea what work has been done and what deals have been sorted and yet all you do is whine.

I am very sorry to see McGoldrick go in some ways. It was an honour to watch his play, he had a great season (his most productive ever) and we fans loved him.

I have to respect his decision to return to his boyhood club and I hope he does as well for them as he did for us.

There was no guarantee that he would repeat his scoring exploits if he had stayed here, and I'd hate if he'd had a poor season by comparison and our fans started to turn on him. I think it's his general ability to read the game we'll find the hardest to replace.

However, there were also times last season when we were a little too reliant on McGoldrick for my liking. Not his fault, but players would pass to him when others might have been better placed. Now they've got to come up with alternative solutions,  like stepping up and scoring more themselves. It's a challenge, but I think we'll rise to it.

6 minutes ago, alram said:

I think this is premature.

Our pre-season friendlies start in four weeks. The players won’t be back in for pre season for another 2-3 weeks either.

Also keep in mind how quickly deals can come together - it’s not transfer deadline day, we have weeks to figure everything out, not hours.

Just because nothing has been announced doesn’t mean things aren’t taking shape behind the scenes and out of the public glare.

14 minutes ago, alram said:

What evidence do you have the club isn’t being proactive? McGoldrick has chosen to leave, all the information we have says the club tried to convince him to stay. 

46 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We simply don't get promoted next season without a 25 goal striker.

Your move Mr Warne

Absolute nonsense! Only one of the 3 promoted teams had a player score 20+ goals last season (Chaplin at Ipswich). Our issue was our over-reliance on Didzy. A point not lost on PW when interviewed, and something I’m sure he will be looking to address.

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What evidence do you have the club isn’t being proactive? McGoldrick has chosen to leave, all the information we have says the club tried to convince him to stay. 

our best player just left for a league two club

next question

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think this is premature.

Our pre-season friendlies start in four weeks. The players won’t be back in for pre season for another 2-3 weeks either.

Also keep in mind how quickly deals can come together - it’s not transfer deadline day, we have weeks to figure everything out, not hours.

Just because nothing has been announced doesn’t mean things aren’t taking shape behind the scenes and out of the public glare.

you are right it is premature, just saying it as things currently stand of course. i am happy to admit i am wrong if things improve, but i am just going based on whats happening so far this summer