David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

15 hours ago, Macintosh said:

I remember a fair portion of fans on here in favour of the club going bust and starting in the lower divisions (I wasn't one of them), but except for paying a huge amount of money for our club and I am not a Clowes fan yet, I need persuading. I never was of the Americans either, nor Webb, or Gadsby. I was sad to see Rosenior pushed, and Wassall too, bemused by both decisions that have never been communicated to fans. I am so disappointed to see McGoldrick leave. I am reading into it that we would not offer him a two-year contact.

Not finding a sponsor and that awful shirt design too didn't thrill me. The January transfer window could not have been more disappointing. Money-wise David Clowes's personal wealth is around £250m, family-wise considerably more – on par with Gibson at Boro – so I will be disappointed if we don't spend something, a few bob, and show ambition to get out of this league asap. I'm hoping that to attract Warne he gave him promises that the cheque book would be dusted off. It's ages since we paid a fee for a player and that was £11,000 to Dungannon Swifts.

I'm expecting a £245 million war chest for this summer. That will still leave Clowes with 5 mil to himself. How much money does someone need right?!

On 10/06/2023 at 15:47, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This really is a total piss take.  McGoldricks comments are simply lip service.  Let's not forget he was joining a club on an absolute shoestring last summer, probably on a substantially lower wage then we have reoffered, has become player of the year and he's dropped a League.  The rest is fluff.   

share your cynicism

would be interested to know whether there have been discussions about a role at county after the end of his playing career

gutted by this 

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Thinking about who we actually have on our books atm... Sibley would [maybe] seem the most likely able to pick up the role that McGoldrick had...anybody any thoughts on this ??

Would need a better first touch since the ball often seem to bounce of him quite a bit. Love him as a player and would really want him to develop this since he has so many other top class skills. If he gets that position it would be really interesting. 

Might I suggest we close this thread on our Ex-Ram, particularly if it looks like it might morph into the qulaities of who we need to replace him. Leave the chanels open for new threads about links on exciting forward players, and Conor Washington.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sibley isn't a CF, so no.

Playing devils advocate so could he not be converted to that role? Last season a few of us, me included, thought PW had lost the plot when he put Sibley at fullback/wingback.

Tbf Sibbers adapted well to that role and did a more than adequate job. Maybe he's more adaptable than we give him credit for.

24 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Playing devils advocate so could he not be converted to that role? Last season a few of us, me included, thought PW had lost the plot when he put Sibley at fullback/wingback.

Tbf Sibbers adapted well to that role and did a more than adequate job. Maybe he's more adaptable than we give him credit for.

Sibley struggles to keep the ball under pressure. He’s also not quick or good in the air.

He’s best when in possession with the field ahead of him to run into.

Moving him to FB actually helped because he rarely received the ball in a tight spot.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Sibley struggles to keep the ball under pressure. He’s also not quick or good in the air.

Moving him to FB actually helped because he rarely received the ball in a tight spot.

Receiving the ball in tight areas was literally the thing he was best at when he came into the team too, ironically. He still has it within him, but does look far more flat footed now than he ever did.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Fair points. I think we can all agree we need more options than James Collins. Imho Sibley would be a better option despite his limitations. The thought of going into the season with JC as our main striker spirals me into a deep depression. 

12 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Fair points. I think we can all agree we need more options than James Collins. Imho Sibley would be a better option despite his limitations. The thought of going into the season with JC as our main striker spirals me into a deep depression. 

We have to bolster our foward line, no questions. I actually quite like James Collins but there's no way he can be our only centre foward coming into next season.