David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Good to have the decision made. 

It’s definitely great move for the DM, I’m happy for him. 

It’s bad loss for a team, but at the same time it makes room for a new star striker. It’ll be a big pull and hopefully, for someone younger. 

I’m quietly happy for the club. For me, this is the sign that they don’t lash out long and expensive contracts anymore. My trust levels towards current policies have risen a bit more. 

Also, I quite enjoy the meltdown of some nervous wrecks. Yeah, I know I’m awful. 

The guy oozed class both on and off the pitch. Absolute joy to watch and worth the entrance fee alone. Hope he gets the fairytale ending to his career. He deserves it. 

Having said that, I'm still incredibly disappointed to lose him. We have our work cut out replacing such quality. So long Didzy it was a pleasure to watch you. 

I certainly don't begrudge him for taking the opportunity. With Notts just back in the league he has the chance to  help them establish themselves again. 

He leaves after carrying the.team for parts of last season, and will always have cult status here, but as many have said players of his age are always a risk. Potential sudden drops in basic ability/fitness and susceptibility to injuries are always likely. 

I think he could have made a decent impact again this year, whether that was as an integral part of the side or as a game changing sub, but there are others out there and it's now on the recruitment department to do what they are paid for as PW starts to shape his side.

So disappointing to lose someone that was such a big part of last season.

However, it’s good that we haven’t gone lashing money out to try and keep him, with this being a decision from the heart for Didz it would have cost a lot to persuade him to stay.

Now we can make longer term decisions for the future of the team.  Bring somebody in who can grow and develop beyond the two years McGoldrick probably has left.

Thanks for the fleeting visit Didz, you are some footballer and goal scorer.  Hope it’s the ending to your career that you are after.

Edited by SuffolkRam

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not portraying the club or players in a negative like. I criticised the club under Mel Morris, which was proved correct (despite your constant ridicule).

No issues with David Clowes nor the current playing. My issue is with Paul Warne. I don’t care about notoriety, I don’t post very frequently anymore as I don’t have time. I’m expressing my serious concerns as to the damage the current manager will do to our squad.

Could you outline your concerns? What is it about him that is a problem? 

14 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Exactly.... we're violently agreeing I think.

I don't think we've lost a "25 goals a season" striker as he's done it once in a long career across many divisions.

No need for wrist slashing. Or for writing off a striker signed who scored 8 last season.👍

25 goals a season or not, hes our best player by some distance

he will take some replacing

Very sad to hear that Didzy has left but it was inevitable and more to do with the chance to return home to the club he loves which gave him his first opportunity to make football his career. He will finish his playing days at the place he started and it is satisfying to see his journey ending back home. Notts see him as a 'talisman' and after watching his interview I'd like to think that there will always be a role for him at the club if he wants it. He has a lot of experience, skill, common sense and wisdom to pass on.

Perhaps he will feel under less pressure next season to play so many games, score so many goals and will be involved in more assists, which given his age should have been the case with us last season.  I wish him nothing but the best and he goes with my thanks for his incredible contribution to our club. Players come and go but for me there will only ever be one Didzy!

Edited by Miggins

If you were a striker looking to play and score goals, and you saw you had Didzy ahead of you after just scoring 22 league goals. Would you be concerned about game time coming here? Him leaving can be spun in many different ways. It may not necessarily be a bad thing in the long run

Edited by EnigmaRam

Doesn't this present a certain Louie Sibley with a huge opportunity? All the conversation will be around how Didzy and his goals are replaced and that's understandable, but while I've criticised his inconsistency, I don't think Louie is a million miles off and given an extended run in that role, could he yet fulfil the immense promise of his academy years? I do think it's been hard for the lad, as he was never going to shift Didzy from the starting line-up, but I do think the Didzy role is most probably his optimal. Maybe, just maybe, the solution to the problem is already on the playing roster? Things you'd love to see...

As it stands, I'm Pretty sure Warne said he wanted more 9's and 10's (note plurals) even before the Didzy to Notts County chirping began, so we'll be seeing a few in anyway. There's some interesting names being bandied about and with the noose slackened the benign body that is the EFL, I'd be confident we can attract a good blend of players of the requisite quality and character. It's a test for the new faces in recruitment, but their track record is good, we know from Warne that they've been scouting and analysing prospects for months.

A challenge then, but hardly insurmountable.

COYR

It's not the 20+ goals that we lose because in reality, if you buy a good striker, they could hit the ground and get the same numbers.

It's not the assists because they could also be replaced.

It's not even the personality because people come and go.

It's the spectacle the you can't replace. Football is entertainment and players like Didzy produce the moments we love to see, or atleast I do.

I fully understand his reason for going and I can't knock him for it, it's just the individual brilliance that I know we won't see again for a while.

What a signing for Notts though.

39 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If you were a striker looking to play and score goals, and you saw you had Didzy ahead of you after just scoring 22 league goals. Would you be concerned about game time coming here? Him leaving can be spun in many different ways. It may not necessarily be a bad thing in the long run

Not sure this really holds up. 

We've got fans convincing themselves that McGoldrick leaving is somewhat negligible because at his age it's highly likely, almost a certainty, that he won't be involved as much or contribute as heavily this season as last.

Surely you have to credit any potential signings with this awareness too?

Any striker worth his salt would see it as healthy competition but back themselves to come out on top (you don't want to be signing strikers who don't believe in their own ability, after all!) 

They might also factor in that they could well come in and be playing in front of McGoldrick, with him dropping deeper and providing some excellent chances from a no. 10 position, as he did at times last season only for them to be squandered. 

As you say, it's just one way to spin things - too much spin though and its feels more like we're playing pin the tail on the donkey (with the 'tail' being a metaphor for positivity and the donkey representing the hole left by McGoldrick leaving!) than making an accurate assessment.

Edited by Kokosnuss

13 hours ago, Macintosh said:

I'd have been happy if he could have scored 15 goals next season – that would have been a big ask. The downside was his home-to-away ratio, I think it ended up something like 20/5. Sad there is no farewell, just the Wednesday game as an au revoir to several, the bitter taste that left.

So far, so bad, Curtis Davies released, McGoldrick choosing Notts over us, Roberts off to Bristol, Knight having many suitors. I really don't want to read about Warne selling the club to potential players, what a great guy he is, that you get a free mug. That never worked in the last transfer window.

We had Rooney as manager, and Lampard.  They had great pull bring people in but were ruinously expensive themselves.  We moved - in my view, rightly - in a different direction: one of being sustainable.

Is Warne as much of a pull as either of those, or who else Morris would have employed?  No.  Once you go for a more normal manager - i.e. not a Champions League winner - then you have to accept you are not going to gain the pull of someone who is.  But, we are not likely to go bust again by doing this.

On the other matters.  We took people like DM on one year deals; others on loan spells.  The risk of that is always they leave at the end of the season to meet their own priorities for that (we would love if a world class player was a fan of ours and instead of finishing their career early, or at a smaller Premier League club, they dipped to play for us - kudos to DM for that).   Or because they play so well someone higher wants them (back).

Alternately, we could sign players on five year deals that get crocked and we have years paying them off holding us back - ala Bielek.  

We nearly didn't have a club twelve months ago.  Clowes bought the club despite never wanting that position.  If he thinks Warne is the man for the job that is good enough for me: he has certainly paid for his right to make the call.

I think a common theme will be contract length I hope derby are sensible when it comes to contracts 

forwards who are 29 no more than 18 months 

2-3 year deals for younger to mid age players.

id imagine besides higher division clubs we may lose out on players based on contract length. Which I’m not too sad about unless in the future we can sign 18-24 year olds on 3-4 year deals. I’m actually quite happy we are restricted in that sense. It was ridiculous giving big money 4 year deals for players 

16 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I think a common theme will be contract length I hope derby are sensible when it comes to contracts 

forwards who are 29 no more than 18 months 

2-3 year deals for younger to mid age players.

id imagine besides higher division clubs we may lose out on players based on contract length. Which I’m not too sad about unless in the future we can sign 18-24 year olds on 3-4 year deals. I’m actually quite happy we are restricted in that sense. It was ridiculous giving big money 4 year deals for players 

Signing a 29 year old to an 18 month contract would potentially see them leave in the January transfer window of the 24/25 season for free, doesn’t make much business sense to me. A 24 month contract on the other hand…

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Signing a 29 year old to an 18 month contract would potentially see them leave in the January transfer window of the 24/25 season for free, doesn’t make much business sense to me. A 24 month contract on the other hand…

I suspect the comment was more general, i.e. signing a 29 year old in January on 18 month deal.  I agree with your point, otherwise.