Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

I felt very sad and negative yesterday about Wayne leaving and what it would mean for our club and our remaining players.

Today I've read through all the posts and I'd just like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts. It really has helped to clarify my take on the situation and helped me to gain some much needed perspective. 

Rams fans are the best.

I'm disappointed that Rooney has decided to walk out on us and especially at the timing of it being so close to the start of the season but football wise I'm hoping that our new manager will want to play a more incisive, attacking, exciting type of football as, for me, under Rooney we didn't 'go for it' as much as I'd have liked - I accept that we might not have had or won't have the players to do that but I'd rather lose a game knowing we'd thrown the kitchen sink at teams trying to win rather than playing a patient game trying to carve out openings that might not always come.

8 minutes ago, Ilkestonian said:

I'm disappointed that Rooney has decided to walk out on us and especially at the timing of it being so close to the start of the season but football wise I'm hoping that our new manager will want to play a more incisive, attacking, exciting type of football as, for me, under Rooney we didn't 'go for it' as much as I'd have liked - I accept that we might not have had or won't have the players to do that but I'd rather lose a game knowing we'd thrown the kitchen sink at teams trying to win rather than playing a patient game trying to carve out openings that might not always come.

mickmccarthytea.gif

I was critical of the timing of Rooney's resignation, but this "he had nothing to lose" narrative is well OTT in my view. Keeping us up without a PD was a tough enough job (check the bookies odds at the start of the season for reference) but it became nigh on impossible after not one but two deductions, each falling at a time when the team had fought their way into a hopeful position. To then be denied the services of Jagielka and Shinnie, Kazim's injury, Bielek's struggle with fitness, and the loss of promising young players on the verge of the first team, must have been an enormous blow. And yet he somehow managed to not only motivate himself to rise again, but coaxed the team back into contention until the last few games. If you've never had to manage a "forlorn hope" situation, you'll never know how much inner strength it requires, regardless of the size of your pay packet. For that and giving us fans something to believe in when all hope was lost, Rooney deserves our gratitude as a minimum. 

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I was critical of the timing of Rooney's resignation, but this "he had nothing to lose" narrative is well OTT in my view. Keeping us up without a PD was a tough enough job (check the bookies odds at the start of the season for reference) but it became nigh on impossible after not one but two deductions, each falling at a time when the team had fought their way into a hopeful position. To then be denied the services of Jagielka and Shinnie, Kazim's injury, Bielek's struggle with fitness, and the loss of promising young players on the verge of the first team, must have been an enormous blow. And yet he somehow managed to not only motivate himself to rise again, but coaxed the team back into contention until the last few games. If you've never had to manage a "forlorn hope" situation, you'll never know how much inner strength it requires, regardless of the size of your pay packet. For that and giving us fans something to believe in when all hope was lost, Rooney deserves our gratitude as a minimum. 

I totally agree with all you have stated, he was not perfect but who is, he made school boy errors but who hasn’t. At the end of the day he helped to keep hope alive and galvanised fans and players in away that frightened the EFL to a point where they didn’t know whether to have a s—t or hair cut. For that I will always give him respect. 

Been thinking.

I’m wondering if Rooney made his mind up a while ago and gave the Admin some of their own medicine with informing them last minute of deals etc?

At least Q didn’t have to read about it in the paper I suppose. Wazza had some morals. 

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Been thinking.

I’m wondering if Rooney made his mind up a while ago and gave the Admin some of their own medicine with informing them last minute of deals etc?

At least Q didn’t have to read about it in the paper I suppose. Wazza had some morals. 

Nah he’d have leaked it without a doubt.

Edited by Gritstone Ram

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Been thinking.

Yes the timing could not be worse. One possibility is Stretford has recently found him another job and they realised this was their last chance to exit under cover of the 18 month shambles 

we will see 

Rooney couldn't prepare for the season. Cant blame the guy at all. He needs to be signing players not losing more. I think the timing probably makes sense. He may have waited long enough to see if there would be a takeover which would allow for signings and its obviously not moving fast enough. The Kirchener deal falling through maybe dealt the final blow. Disappointing to lose Rooney, he's done well to galvanise the team and work with what he had.

Took some time to process this and here are my thoughts. 

Really grateful for how he galvanised the club last season but, from a footballing perspective, it was his inability to stop the rot away from home that ultimately led to us getting relegated.

Think the timing is poor.

I think the reason that he has given is just an excuse. If anything, being involved in the last 2 seasons is more of a reason to stay than to leave.

I believe this shows that he had a vested interest in the Kirchner bid.

Wish him all the best for the future.

16 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Of course you’re allowed an opinion as am I. Does watching a game on TV hold the same weight as watching live, never in a million years. If you don’t know what Rooney bought to this club last season it’s because you weren’t there, and you didn’t answer the question.

The discussion is related to Rooneys tactics and style of play. In this regard it makes zero difference whether you see it in person or on tv. 

If you don't like the opinions of certain posters either block them or actually engage them in debate. Dont just keep attacking them because you dont like their tone of voice.

Its so tiresome to see the same people whining again and again about people being negative. Actually try contributing to the debate rather than looking for things that suit your own narrative or attacking other forum members.

24 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Jonathan Norcroft in the Sunday Times this morning says no agenda behind WR leaving DCFC, as in not tied to CK's failed bid

(Norcroft has ghost written a few columns WR has had in The Times)

timing still Cr@p though

But the reason Rooney has given is that someone needs a clean slate, not someone who has been involved in the last 2 years. 

So why did he only think that in the 2 weeks between the Kirchner bid falling through and us being where we are now?

The timing was obviously right for WR, As this is why he asked for his contract release...it suited him, There's no doubt in my mind that the links to the yank, Stretford et all was the reason, His home life and children were suffering...he's WR ffs he's had this all his footballing life, He's got another job lined up...might be, But that's going to be some gamble by whoever takes him on if in the Championship, Wages, Spending plans, Confused team selection and so on, DCFCs open door for players to move on...could be...but there was light at the end of the tunnel with Clowes taking over and funds in place of sorts, He wants time to take his coaching badges...BS, He could do that while with us or A N Other team...Nope for me he bailed as Stretford and co were not here...all guess work from myself and with other's, The real reason may be written about some day?‍♀️

Footnote

Interesting that WR is quoted as saying DCFC need a fresh face as Manager in yesterdays DET, So much for WR telling Rosenior not to take the Blackpool job.

All is gone now and we start again hopefully with a squad that can compete in this division. 

14 hours ago, Crewton said:

He certainly deserves our gratitude and he has mine but, the “he had nothing to lose” narrative isn’t over the top in my opinion. What those of us that have said it are trying to say (I think) is that, ordinarily, a manager that sees his team relegated (after only avoiding the drop the previous season by the skin of their teeth) and enduring such an awful run of away defeats would normally face severe scrutiny and probably the sack. However, due to hand he was dealt, Rooney has rightly been immune from any such consequences. I very much doubt he approached the task in hand with a nothing to lose attitude - otherwise we’d probably have had our relegation confirmed long before it was. Instead, he did a fine job, surprised many of us with his intelligence and, at one stage, made it look like the miracle could be on.

He’s gone, not interested in why or why now. Nothing we can go about it, thanks for everything Wayne now let’s move on to the new chapter and leader. 

It’s disappointing but not surprising. He obviously doesn’t want to languish in league 1 for several years and probably saw a close season of strengthening and re-building the squad as his only hope of achieving anything here. 
Whether he’ll achieve owt elsewhere I do not know.

I will however always respect the way he brought some pride and enjoyment to the most hopeless of seasons… a season which could have eclipsed our last premier league venture in terms of embarrassment, had he not dug in and made a good fist of it.