Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

After having a think on the news, I'm still not sure how I feel. The timing is terrible, and in some ways his show of loyalty was very easy from a 'no-lose' situation. No-one rightly blamed him that we fell through the trap door and he won significant kudos for sticking by us. But now he'll come under scrutiny, in for a real fight in the third division he's bailed at the last minute. I'm not overly pleased tbh and it doesn't look good. If he's done it for his wife and his kids that's fair enough, but he should have let the administrators know before this juncture if that is the reason. If he thought he could manage at a higher level than the third tier then again actually let us know beforehand so we can sort out his replacement. I think it's pretty poor from Rooney this. 

The "wife and kid" thing is the oldest trick in the book. This is the same wife and kids he had when he took this gig. As you say not a good look. It's been a baptism of fire for sure. Even so , saying you need a break after only 18 months in management, well doesn't sound to me like he will be able to handle football management long term.    

57 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The "wife and kid" thing is the oldest trick in the book. This is the same wife and kids he had when he took this gig. As you say not a good look. It's been a baptism of fire for sure. Even so , saying you need a break after only 18 months in management, well doesn't sound to me like he will be able to handle football management long term.    

Rooney's real test will come in his next managerial job. It can be argued that he has only had success at DCFC in a siege environment (which ultimately ended in relegation). There were certainly many positives during his tenure, but also some errors. I have worked with managers (in business) who are very good in 'fire fighting' mode, but pretty useless when it comes to forward strategy. Maybe, as some suggest Rooney will go on to be a successful Premier League manager. I'm not convinced, but that's just my opinion. 

Edited by europia

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really disappointing seeing how quickly some have turned on Rooney. Some exceedingly short memories out there. Probably best leave it there really ?

I certainly haven't turned on him and haven't seen many that have.

Do you not think its disappointing after the 'I won't walk away' and 'all the players want to stay' that we are now seeing exactly the opposite?

Why make them statements?

15 hours ago, Rev said:

Alternatively, he left the kids in the care of Uncle Chris, and returned to find his 80" TV gone, his Ferrari missing from the garage and a for sale board outside his house.

It’s not all bad , he discovered he now owns and has paid for a private jet

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I certainly haven't turned on him and haven't seen many that have.

Do you not think its disappointing after the 'I won't walk away' and 'all the players want to stay' that we are now seeing exactly the opposite?

Why make them statements?

My post states 'some', not 'many'. I've also expressed my own disappointment at his timing in an earlier post. As for the 'why make (those) statements' question, I think obviously the landscape has changed between the failure of the CK bid and the acceptance of the Clowes offer. It doesn't however change the fact that he stuck by us and was the unifying force that brought club, players and fans together when unity was needed most. That doesn't change for me simply because he's leaving, though it clearly does for some. The 'well he was well paid' argument is BS - he's worth £140 million so his salary was almost immaterial. Likewise the 'nobody else would have him' mantra. We now know that's bolarks too.

To be honest, I think this is one of those times when perhaps if we've nothing good to say about him, then maybe we should just say nothing at all. That extends nearly every player too. I think they've earned that much, at least.

9 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

The guy will handle management long term. He was facing another stint of losing players and managing with one hand behind his back. Nothing but respect for Rooney. Last 18 months he’s had way too much to deal with compared to other managers. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

My post states 'some', not 'many'. I've also expressed my own disappointment at his timing in an earlier post. As for the 'why make (those) statements' question, I think obviously the landscape has changed between the failure of the CK bid and the acceptance of the Clowes offer. It doesn't however change the fact that he stuck by us and was the unifying force that brought club, players and fans together when unity was needed most. That doesn't change for me simply because he's leaving, though it clearly does for some. The 'well he was well paid' argument is BS - he's worth £140 million so his salary was almost immaterial. Likewise the 'nobody else would have him' mantra. We now know that's bolarks too.

To be honest, I think this is one of those times when perhaps if we've nothing good to say about him, then maybe we should just say nothing at all. That extends nearly every player too. I think they've earned that much, at least.

There has been 2 weeks between collapse of CK deal and the acceptance of the Clowes deal. I am much more comfortable with the Clowes deal than I ever was with CK. 
So how has the landscape changed? Only in Rooneys head has it changed .. his man turned out to be a dud. Or he has had a nice holiday and decided he doesn’t want to come back. 

Anyway he’s gone and we move on. Huge rebuild now and very little time to do it. 

1 minute ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

The guy will handle management long term. He was facing another stint of losing players and managing with one hand behind his back. Nothing but respect for Rooney. Last 18 months he’s had way too much to deal with compared to other managers. 

Yes and no. Like I said a tough gig. But expectations are lower because of that . Any other job and there will be different pressures. 

Just now, PistoldPete said:

Yes and no. Like I said a tough gig. But expectations are lower because of that . Any other job and there will be different pressures. 

Not necessarily about expectations. About day to day involvement- player uncertainty, stress, all the off field stuff that was unexpected. It’s not necessarily about just a ‘free hit’ because that has obviously come with a lot of stress and work and not being able to manage the team how he wanted. I just think he couldn’t take any more players leaving and had enough of it all. Can’t blame him. He probably thought a takeover would have been done ages ago. 

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

There has been 2 weeks between collapse of CK deal and the acceptance of the Clowes deal. I am much more comfortable with the Clowes deal than I ever was with CK. 
So how has the landscape changed? Only in Rooneys head has it changed .. his man turned out to be a dud. Or he has had a nice holiday and decided he doesn’t want to come back. 

Anyway he’s gone and we move on. Huge rebuild now and very little time to do it. 

I don't know Pete and neither do you, so let's not pointlessly speculate, especially in a negative fashion - that's been the crux of my argument and there it remains.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

28,000 fans based on what, we’ve not sold a ticket yet.

Probably based on the fact that people on here for some reason are saying they can't wait to get a season ticket even with our uncertain team and season this year ? I for one don't have that kind of money lying around and if I did I would want to make sure we have a full squad first 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

"It is believed that people close to Rooney were also stunned by the 36-year-old’s decision"

I wonder who the close source was when they blurted out to the People rag that he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Looks like WR has more sources than Heinz ?‍♀️  

I think the administrators and CK are to blame still. I reckon they promised Rooney the world countless times and due to him being messed around and not having enough time (in his mind) to get players in, I think he's thought fudge it. Although like some have said, it was premature and very much contradictory to his statement of not leaving. Maybe a job offer has come up? Maybe he will go to Man U as a coach.. learn his trade some more and then take over after Haags reign? 

There's no such thing as long term loyalty anymore in football unfortunately. I felt Cheated when Lampard left on the first training session back into the new season because we were left with little time for someone to come in and alter the clubs philosophy.. this is no different.. if not worse. Because the players loved Wayne and I can only imagine it being a big inspiration to play for him. It's super testing times and it's at that time you look to the manager to be the rock. 

I just hope the players that are still here carry on where they left off last season in terms of commitment and passion, that's all I want.