Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

So I had been thinking Rooney left because he was tied into Kirchner's bid.

But someone posted a link to an article in the Sun (cannot find it now), which said he left so he can focus on getting his coaching badges.

Pretty mundane as explanations go but it does make sense now I think about it.

When asked about the Everton job, Rooney said something along the lines of "I am ready to be a Premier League Manager, I think I am good enough to do it. But, right now, my focus is on Derby County". There was still a chance, at that time, of avoiding relegation and ownership wasn't resolved.

Now relegation has happened and the club is on the verge of salvation, I believe Rooney thinks his job here is done and that he can now focus on his own career. He clearly has aspirations of managing at the top level - and feels he's ready, even if Derby are still some way off.

So I wholeheartedly thank him for keeping the club together during arguably its most difficult time. Thank you for your loyalty, dignity and resolve.

Good luck in your future career.?

15 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The timing was obviously right for WR, As this is why he asked for his contract release...it suited him, There's no doubt in my mind that the links to the yank, Stretford et all was the reason, His home life and children were suffering...he's WR ffs he's had this all his footballing life, He's got another job lined up...might be, But that's going to be some gamble by whoever takes him on if in the Championship, Wages, Spending plans, Confused team selection and so on, DCFCs open door for players to move on...could be...but there was light at the end of the tunnel with Clowes taking over and funds in place of sorts, He wants time to take his coaching badges...BS, He could do that while with us or A N Other team...Nope for me he bailed as Stretford and co were not here...all guess work from myself and with other's, The real reason may be written about some day?‍♀️

Footnote

Interesting that WR is quoted as saying DCFC need a fresh face as Manager in yesterdays DET, So much for WR telling Rosenior not to take the Blackpool job.

All is gone now and we start again hopefully with a squad that can compete in this division. 

There IS light at the end of the tunnel.  But I imagine the emerging situation is a much longer tunnel than CK promised and Rooney doesn't want to manage in a tunnel.  It's okay for fans - they can focus on the distant light.  I think Rooney's conversation with the administrators was about this - he wouldn't want to manage in League 1 for the medium term.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

So I had been thinking Rooney left because he was tied into Kirchner's bid.

But someone posted a link to an article in the Sun (cannot find it now), which said he left so he can focus on getting his coaching badges.

Pretty mundane as explanations go but it does make sense now I think about it.

When asked about the Everton job, Rooney said something along the lines of "I am ready to be a Premier League Manager, I think I am good enough to do it. But, right now, my focus is on Derby County". There was still a chance, at that time, of avoiding relegation and ownership wasn't resolved.

Now relegation has happened and the club is on the verge of salvation, I believe Rooney thinks his job here is done and that he can now focus on his own career. He clearly has aspirations of managing at the top level - and feels he's ready, even if Derby are still some way off.

So I wholeheartedly thank him for keeping the club together during arguably its most difficult time. Thank you for your loyalty, dignity and resolve.

Good luck in your future career.?

I’m convinced that if he ever returns to PP as the manager of the visiting team (you never know, we might get drawn against a premier league team in one of the cups one day ?) he’ll get a well deserved very warm welcome.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He certainly deserves our gratitude and he has mine but, the “he had nothing to lose” narrative isn’t over the top in my opinion. What those of us that have said it are trying to say (I think) is that, ordinarily, a manager that sees his team relegated (after only avoiding the drop the previous season by the skin of their teeth) and enduring such an awful run of away defeats would normally face severe scrutiny and probably the sack. However, due to hand he was dealt, Rooney has rightly been immune from any such consequences. I very much doubt he approached the task in hand with a nothing to lose attitude - otherwise we’d probably have had our relegation confirmed long before it was. Instead, he did a fine job, surprised many of us with his intelligence and, at one stage, made it look like the miracle could be on.

Thanks for the clarification, though if what Jonathan Northcroft has said is true, he DID have something to lose : several million pounds in salary when he ripped up his playing contract! You can bet he's also walked away without a pay off.

You're right though that he wasn't being judged on results here (so hopefully for him this will prove to be a unique experience in his management career) but on fortitude, inspiration and basic human (not moral) decency. I'm sure we'll all be watching with great interest when he eventually takes up his next post to see how he fares without the lead weights of administration and embargoes around his neck. 

Needs his coaching badges to step into a Prem clubs managerial role? Now's a good time for him to leave. If he'd started a rebuild (and why not we're about to be taken over) and it went wrong or looked to be a slower process than assumed, then he'd have lost all the positive media spin he so far has gained. Oh and CK et al not getting the club made a difference, what if the next owner sacked him? ? 

Edited by RoyMac5

18 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The discussion is related to Rooneys tactics and style of play. In this regard it makes zero difference whether you see it in person or on tv. 

If you don't like the opinions of certain posters either block them or actually engage them in debate. Dont just keep attacking them because you dont like their tone of voice.

Its so tiresome to see the same people whining again and again about people being negative. Actually try contributing to the debate rather than looking for things that suit your own narrative or attacking other forum members.

With respect the discussion is not just about tactics and style of play but  what Rooney has  done to galvanise the club and it’s fans. Anyone that has been to games home or away will surely agree with this, many have posted on here saying the atmosphere at games last season was unlike any that they have witnessed before, a sentiment I entirely agree with. I therefore think it is pertinent to ask the question of how many of those games were actually viewed in person. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion the question is whether it’s a valid one or not. And just to be clear I have never stated that I’m a better fan than you etc… that’s in someone else’s head.

I think there could be a level of truth behind the view that Wayne had a free hit last season and was in reality in a no lose situation. 
Had he done the unthinkable and kept us up he would have been lauded for it, however when we were inevitably relegated there was no blame afforded to him either due to MM, Q etc etc (which was fair IMHO).

Now the rebuild is on (as is the true pressure of managing a BIG Club) and the crutches are removed. Now the focus would be on Wayne’s ability in earnest to identify talent, to recruit said talent and to coach and manage the squad that would be his by definition.

I think he knows that had a high chance of failure with the loss of the current squad and the lack of recruitment. I believe he has been advised by those around him to cut and run to preserve his reputation as another season of abject failure without the excuses of MM & Q would leave his prospects in tatters at the start of his career.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

image.thumb.png.7a09073db51416553250042e93a0a207.png

I do hope they've ran this story as a 'we've heard article .  Front page normally means first hand account .  That would be disappointing in the extreme as the papers knew before his players. 

Not really bothered. Provided they heard the news via an official announcement before it was in the paper which, is what happened. In an ideal world I guess he would have gathered the players together to tell them personally but that would have been difficult with them not reporting back yet.

The whole Kirchner set up was too good to be true. He obviously promised Rooney funds to bring in all these players yet when it came to the crunch, he couldn't get it over the line. The whole thing is odd and I suspect we'll never know what actually happened.

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do hope they've ran this story as a 'we've heard article .  Front page normally means first hand account .  That would be disappointing in the extreme as the papers knew before his players. 

Hope it's not an exclusive deal with The People as it would come across as tacky in the extreme and also very disrespectful to the players he's managed for the past 2 seasons. 

17 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Well it just shows how $hitty our journalists are now, Top right hand corner...celebrating the return of the King, If it's not Kirsty MacColl telling us "there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis" we now have a People reporter reporting a return for the King.

God preserve us...in jam.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Hope it's not an exclusive deal with The People as it would come across as tacky in the extreme and also very disrespectful to the players he's managed for the past 2 seasons. 

If you’d have bothered to click on to the story you would see “ sources close to say” , don’t want to upset the narrative though eh?

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

On 25/06/2022 at 11:30, Big Bad Bob said:

I suspect you are right. I just find it a bit off. He's stuck through thick and thin with us, had the opportunity to go to Everton and another championship club and the day we get some good news he's jacked it in. 

I think what you have said has played on his mind and I suspect Colleen has been in his ear quite a bit on holiday and made his decision. He's probably had a discussion with rosenior to say he's leaving and it's highly likely he'll get the job at Derby and that's why he didn't go to Blackpool. 

#notITK

Looks like I was itk after all ?

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

If you’d have bothered to click on to the story you would see “ sources close to say” , don’t want to upset the narrative though eh?

Fair comment I don't usually even give these scandal rags the time of day so not going to break the habit of a lifetime and start actually delving into their clickbait.

Positive thing I guess is that I gave a certain poster on here another opportunity to like a retort to another post of mine which displeases them so can't be all that bad. 

Edited by Tyler Durden