Who could we start next season with, player wise (as it stands)?

21 minutes ago, Rev said:

Let's hope so, seems a stretch but why not!

When you see the top goal scorers at this level last season, it really could be anyone. Will Keane and a guy with a modest record in Scotland’s second division were the top goalscorers last season. 

On 01/07/2022 at 20:22, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Well now we can start speculating!

Assuming we're still interested in players that we've been linked with before (and rumours of up to 10 new signings coming through the doors coming to fruition) the squad could look a bit like this:

GK: NEW, Wildsmith, Foulkes
RB: Byrne (or NEW if he leaves), Bardell
CB: Chester, Stearman, Davies, Cashin
LB: Buchanan (or NEW if he leaves), Forsyth
CM/DM: Bird, Robinson, Hourihane, Thompson
RM: Barkhuizen, Richards
AM: Knight, Sibley
LM: Lawrence (yes, very unlikely, I know!), Mendez-Laing
ST: Collins, Niasse, Kazim-Richards, Cybulski, Stretton

Not bad!

Well this is what other clubs’ fans are on about. We’ve got no debt and no points deduction and most likely a strong squad that should bring us straight back up. Of course they forget that we’ve been relegated, been through 18 months of hell and have been forced to haemorrhage home grown talent.  And that our greatest strength now is our fan base , and how can they object to that ... 

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Davies will be announced soon. Is Tom Lawrence staying or what? I've heard nothing concrete 

Nor me, but in Tom’s shoes if another company is knocking on your door offering to double the salary than your current employer can offer and give you a large signing on fee and a 3 year deal what would you do ? Then there’s Knight Bird Sibley. That’s going to be challenging. You never know. The next 7/10 days are going to tell us a lot. Fingers crossed

If we start the season with a midfield of Bielik, Bird and Knight for options we should be fine.

Hopefully Sibley gets a run in League One and really shows his potential.

Buchanan and Byrne as fullbacks will be one of the strongest in the league. Cashin will be top quality too.

We needed new wide players and in Bark and Mendez-Laing they are hopefully hungry enough to prove a point. I’d still be looking to strengthen this area and upfront too.

But we have a base now. 

League One is a funny league. Ipswich were disappointing last season yet still hit 70 points. It’s almost a league of two with former PL/Champ clubs like Bolton, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Barnsley, Charlton and then a bunch of much smaller clubs like Fleetwood, Morecombe, Accrington.

Our current best XI is easily top half standard in League One. Assuming we bulk out the squad, anything less than 70 points would be disappointing in my eyes.

Edited by Bris Vegas

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith, Byrne, Cashin  Bardell, Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, LThompson, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Stretton, Cybulski

Do you think Bardell is ready to be part of the first team squad now then GoC? Would that be as backup RB or 4th/5th CB? Or both?

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

When you see the top goal scorers at this level last season, it really could be anyone. Will Keane and a guy with a modest record in Scotland’s second division were the top goalscorers last season. 

Players can surprise you, I mean Andreas Weimann got 22 goals last season, Andreas effing Weimann!! Had he even scored 22 in his career prior?

If we somehow could afford  to sign Chester and Stearman, wouldn’t that be great?!

Chester-Davies-Cashin covered by Stearman and Forsyth is easily championship level back-three. With the first choices, even top half.

Fingers crossed that we get Chester, for me that would be the biggest coup. 

15 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

Players can surprise you, I mean Andreas Weimann got 22 goals last season, Andreas effing Weimann!! Had he even scored 22 in his career prior?

Yes he did - we had him playing out wide when selected which limits a second strikers natural ability 

Great start to the rebuild last night. Twitter last night felt like Christmas morning!

Really pleased to see Cashin & Thompson staying. Both showed such maturity & talent when they got into the first team mid season & would have been gutted to see them go too. There will be spells of indifferent form but I think regular football at this level will see both develop into important first team players. Important also to keep the core of Academy graduates whilst we bring in a lot of new faces, need as much continuity as possible to avoid a disjointed team.

Three good signings too. Wildsmith looks a good shotstopper, am hoping he's also decent with the ball at his feet & like his ambition to finally break from his boyhood club. Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing have always had quality about them...very different players but really strong options on the wing. 

Strong rumours that Curtis, Kazim & Stearman have already signed (brilliant news if true) & that we're in for another evening of announcements. Of the rumoured new players, Chester would be a really good signing & whilst far from Johnson's biggest fan, he would offer the physicality we will need at this level. Still would be astonished if Hourihane signed, am sure there are top half Championship clubs who would happily take him.

Either way, am loving the anticipation of further news! 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If we start the season with a midfield of Bielik, Bird and Knight for options we should be fine.

Hopefully Sibley gets a run in League One and really shows his potential.

Buchanan and Byrne as fullbacks will be one of the strongest in the league. Cashin will be top quality too.

We needed new wide players and in Bark and Mendez-Laing they are hopefully hungry enough to prove a point. I’d still be looking to strengthen this area and upfront too.

But we have a base now. 

League One is a funny league. Ipswich were disappointing last season yet still hit 70 points. It’s almost a league of two with former PL/Champ clubs like Bolton, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Barnsley, Charlton and then a bunch of much smaller clubs like Fleetwood, Morecombe, Accrington.

Our current best XI is easily top half standard in League One. Assuming we bulk out the squad, anything less than 70 points would be disappointing in my eyes.

I hope we will have Buchanan, Byrne, Bielik, Bird and Knight but it’s a bit optimistic to think we will have all of them don’t you think?