Who could we start next season with, player wise (as it stands)?

At the moment we could field the following against Oxford - 

-----------------------Wildsmith

Byrne----------Chester---------Cashin--------Forsyth

----------------Thompson------Bird

---------------------Hourihane

Mendez-Laing--------------------------------Barkhuizen

---------------------McGoldrick

That's a good side for the Championship, never mind Lg 1

Edited by ramsbottom
Just noticed we signed McG :-)

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Mendez-Laing--------------------------------Sibley

---------------------Barkhuizen

McGoldrick on the bench?

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Mendez-Laing--------------------------------Sibley

---------------------Barkhuizen

Technically, Forsyth can't as he isn't contracted. McGoldrick, Bielik and Knight all available as things stand, and would be expecting to be in the starting lineup.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

McGoldrick on the bench?

I've just edited it.  Can't keep up with the signings ?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Technically, Forsyth can't as he isn't contracted. McGoldrick, Bielik and Knight all available as things stand, and would be expecting to be in the starting lineup.

My bad, thought he's resigned already.  I think Bielik & Knight will be gone on a loan & permanent respectively which is why I left them out.

So after today’s rush of excitement we now have the following first team squad, right?

I’ve included those we know are definitely under contract according to the announcements and retained list, leaving out the likes of Courtney Clarke (cm?), Harrison Solomon (cb?), Max Bardell (rb?) as they’re more likely to still be with the academy.

GK - Wildsmith, Alfie Roberts

LB - ??

CB - Chester
CB - Cashin

RB - Byrne

CM - Bird, Thompson, Knight, Bielik

CAM - Hourihane, Sibley

FW - Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick, Stretton

Priorities now surely have to be the defence, we need more bodies in the wide areas up front too but ideally getting Fozzy and Curtis re-signed and other full back options is what I want to see the club sort next. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

So after today’s rush of excitement we now have the following first team squad, right?

I’ve included those we know are definitely under contract according to the announcements and retained list, leaving out the likes of Courtney Clarke (cm?), Harrison Solomon (cb?), Max Bardell (rb?) as they’re more likely to still be with the academy.

LB - ??

CB - Chester
CB - Cashin

RB - Byrne

CAM - Hourihane, Sibley

Priorities now surely have to be the defence, we need more bodies in the wide areas up front too but ideally getting Fozzy and Curtis re-signed and other full back options is what I want to see the club sort next. 

I'm certain Hourihane will be CM. If Knight stays he'll be AM or on the wing.

It's unusual for a club to have almost a clean sheet when looking at building a squad for the new season. So far, we appear to be going about things in exactly the right way, with some experienced players coming in on one or two year deals.

It makes me feel better about the inevitable departures, or even that we might be comfortable keeping them if that's what they want. The players who remain under contract must surely be encouraged by the quality of signings too.

It seems like we are in control, not the players - and that feels good.

We must give credit to Wayne and particularly Liam because they told us they had a plan for player recruitment and we are watching it come to fruition.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's unusual for a club to have almost a clean sheet when looking at building a squad for the new season. So far, we appear to be going about things in exactly the right way, with some experienced players coming in on one or two year deals.

It makes me feel better about the inevitable departures, or even that we might be comfortable keeping them if that's what they want. The players who remain under contract must surely be encouraged by the quality of signings too.

It seems like we are in control, not the players - and that feels good.

We must give credit to Wayne and particularly Liam because they told us they had a plan for player recruitment and we are watching it come to fruition.

Agreed, a lot of ground work must have been done by WR and LR over the past few weeks. Much to feel optimistic about and to think where we were a couple of weeks ago!

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

LB - ??

CB - Chester
CB - Cashin

RB - Byrne

CAM - Hourihane, Sibley

Just wondering whether if Curtis signs, we might see Cashin at FB?

Can’t see Cashin and Chester being a good enough partnership in the air.

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cashin will never be a LB ?

And we need to stop forcing different playing positions on players. The only reason Cashin should be in the fullback position is to take a throw in!

Wildsmith

Byrne                   Bielik                   Cashin               Chester

Knight              Bird                Hourihane

Barkhuisen                   McGoldrick                      Mendez-Laing

Subs - Thompson Sibley Stretton