Who could we start next season with, player wise (as it stands)?

A couple of posters appear to have serious concerns that we might be fielding a team of geriatrics.

It will be no surprise if we have at least 4 players in the starting line-up against Oxford who will be 21 or under (Thompson, Bird, Cashin and Knight) and depending on pre-season form you could maybe add Sibley to that list which would make it half the outfield players under 22. I reckon to go into a League One campaign with more than that would be a huge mistake - alongside the young players we need experience and physicality in order to allow the youngsters to flourish.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

A couple of posters appear to have serious concerns that we might be fielding a team of geriatrics.

It will be no surprise if we have at least 4 players in the starting line-up against Oxford who will be 21 or under (Thompson, Bird, Cashin and Knight) and depending on pre-season form you could maybe add Sibley to that list which would make it half the outfield players under 22. I reckon to go into a League One campaign with more than that would be a huge mistake - alongside the young players we need experience and physicality in order to allow the youngsters to flourish.

At the moment it's Stretton leading the line. With a good pre-season he could force his way in even if we do sign up someone like McGoldrick and extend Kazim's contract.

50 minutes ago, jono said:

Yep ! It’s all looking pretty good for now. I think I am resigned to Bird and Knight being poached along with Bielik inevitably at some point. but you never know. Yes we need another GK .. Funny thing is we may end up in good shape but as per last season .. missing a goal machine. Just need to unearth a lower league Vardy 

Yes, also suspect Knight & Bielik (loan) will leave but that's money to reinvest into the squad/room in wage budget. Not seen any rumours about Max so would hope he'll stay & we can offer him a new deal asap if we look in good shape to go back up.

Think key is to get the basics sorted & then see where we could improve so definitely need another keeper & options at centre back & full back first. Re goals, I do believe our 2 new wingers are key to creating more chances & scoring a few with Kazim, Stretton & Sibley as main goal threats. Not a bad start but a lower league step up (or two) with pace would be ideal. Given we'll be expected to make the running in most games this yr, be good to see us play 2 up top as much as possible

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yep ! It’s all looking pretty good for now. I think I am resigned to Bird and Knight being poached along with Bielik inevitably at some point. but you never know. Yes we need another GK .. Funny thing is we may end up in good shape but as per last season .. missing a goal machine. Just need to unearth a lower league Vardy 

A goal machine would be great, I’d also like to see a greater goal threat from the rest of the team in general. Not sure if it was down to the style of play or the instructions given but Lawrence seemed to be one of the only players willing to take shots on. Bird scored a couple of decent strikes but didn’t take shots often enough to bag more. Ebiowei and Festy were exciting to watch but again offered little goal output. Hoping the new wide players, Hourihane if he signs and a change in approach can add to it this year. Would be ideal to get a goal scorer to get a chunk of goals (oh for a peak Martin/Hulse/Steve Howard to lead the line) but definitely need others to chip in more than recent seasons.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Move Sibely to LB, Tommo next to Bird with Knight in front. I think Sibley is the only first teamer we have who has actually played at LB before ?

Or Bird and Tommo in a straight swap.

Sibley's the only player we have I'm confident will easily score double figures next season, so long as we play him in his proper midfield roll. It was an error to play him at left back before. Don't compound the mistake. 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sibley's the only player we have I'm confident will easily score double figures next season, so long as we play him in his proper midfield roll. It was an error to play him at left back before. Don't compound the mistake. 

Only until we've given Fozzy a new deal

Today has started with the club confirming departures, most of whom we knew were going. Ravel, Festy, Tyree Wilson, Kornell McDonald, Alex Matthews, Marko Borkovic, Eli Christie and Charlie Rutt.

I suspect we’ll maybe get a few more goodbyes as the day goes on then hopefully more positive news with extensions/new signings later on today or tomorrow. 

36 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Today has started with the club confirming departures, most of whom we knew were going. Ravel, Festy, Tyree Wilson, Kornell McDonald, Alex Matthews, Marko Borkovic, Eli Christie and Charlie Rutt.

I suspect we’ll maybe get a few more goodbyes as the day goes on then hopefully more positive news with extensions/new signings later on today or tomorrow. 

Yeah that'd be my take too.  Start off with the "bad" news (albeit mostly not a surprise) then leave us with some good news toward tea time.  Hope so anyway.  Would love the 5pm announcement to be Curtis re-signing, as club captain. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Out of contract players yet to sign an extension or leave the club:

Curtis Davies
Craig Forsyth
Tom Lawrence
Richard Stearman
Colin Kazim-Richards

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Out of contract players yet to sign an extension or leave the club:

Curtis Davies
Craig Forsyth
Tom Lawrence
Richard Stearman
Colin Kazim-Richards

I'd feel so much better about our squad if these all stayed (obviously excluding Lawrence who is almost certain to leave). Not just the experience they have, but the fact they are all core members of that great team attitude we had last season.