Liam Thompson

Day

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

It's so easy to see space when you are up in the stands without seeing the line of vision that the player has. He makes mistakes, of course he does but in my view is well worth his place in the team.

Only when there isn't an option atm. It was easy to see the difference Bielik made immediately he came on. Shinnie (if here) would have been starting I'd have thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough one really. I think he's being exploited for his lack of experience. I have absolutely no doubts about his quality. And no doubts about his ability to turn around his form. The strength of character he showed when he came in after his debut and calmness he had is very admirable. It'll see him well and back on song sooner or later.

Just don't know what's best here, stick with him knowing he has quality and he gets more experience with every game? Will that just expose him and set his progress back? Do we drop him out of the team for a bit? I expect its been a whirlwind few months for him, maybe he just needs to step back a little and drink it all in before coming back into the side? But then no player wants to be dropped, so does that kill his confidence?

One of the many reasons I'm not a manager, just don't know what's best for him. More importantly, what's best for the team? No matter what you say that comes first.

I think he has great potential and has shown signs of being a really good player for us moving foward. I would hate to lose him. I just worry that we have trusted him into the first team sooner than planned due to the lack of our sqaud depth and he needs time to build on his experiences in the first team and the physicality of the Championship.

I hope he will play a role for us this season but just mainly from the bench and coming in for the odd game, rather than relying on him week in week out in the starting 11. I don't want to put to much pressure on him too soon.

11 hours ago, Tombo said:

Tough one really. I think he's being exploited for his lack of experience. I have absolutely no doubts about his quality. And no doubts about his ability to turn around his form. The strength of character he showed when he came in after his debut and calmness he had is very admirable. It'll see him well and back on song sooner or later.

Just don't know what's best here, stick with him knowing he has quality and he gets more experience with every game? Will that just expose him and set his progress back? Do we drop him out of the team for a bit? I expect its been a whirlwind few months for him, maybe he just needs to step back a little and drink it all in before coming back into the side? But then no player wants to be dropped, so does that kill his confidence?

One of the many reasons I'm not a manager, just don't know what's best for him. More importantly, what's best for the team? No matter what you say that comes first.

With Bielik back I'd stick with Thompson on the bench, bring him on after 60mins when we're two, three or four nill up.

3 minutes ago, Taribo said:

With Bielik back I'd stick with Thompson on the bench, bring him on after 60mins when we're two, three or four nill up.

This is my thought also.

He is a great player to bring on when Bielik is tired and needs a rest.

Thompson will eventually grow to become a Mr Dependable like Shinnie, he has that Shinnie/Bannan/Bryson type engine about him.

11 hours ago, Tombo said:

I think like Rooney said. A lot of these young players probably wouldn't have got a chance this season or played half as much. It's purely out of necessity.

It's inevitable he was going to drop off.

He reminds me of when Bird first appeared on the scene. Nice and tidy but first thought is to go backwards.

It's only really this season that we've seen development with Bird where he is a lot more progressive, looks to play it forward and quicker. Rooney has worked a lot with him and you can see the benefits in Birds play. He's arguably been our best player this season.

The same will happen with Thompson. Over time he'll develop, hopefully under Rooney and he can improve as Bird has done.

Personally right now I think my midfield would always be Bielik, Bird and Knight. Think that's our best midfield at the moment.

Thompson will get more chances. But right now I would drop him out the team for a bit and give him time off the bench here and there if possible.

If everyone is fit I think he's on the bench, he needs telling that isn't a backwards step though, he will get his chances be it rotation, injury, coming on late. If anything, being dropped down a bit will test his mental resolve.

It's been a massive progression from where he thought he'd be a year ago.

• 2 months later...
On 15/02/2022 at 09:05, RodleyRam said:

Young players' form goes up and down, perhaps more so than senior players. Not worried about Thompson, he'll come good again but a rest won't do him any harm.

Correct.What a run and pass for the first goal last night by Liam. He really is a “Pocket Rocket” . A lot of us have said he would be very good further up the field. Best moment of the season for me.

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Who would have thought it. A 19 yo lad, of modest stature but with a big heart, having the occasional bit of inconsistency in a tough man’s league. Some of the criticism of this lad over recent weeks has been shocking. Sometimes I think perhaps we don’t deserve nice things.

The talent is there, for me right now, he will always look better playing against teams with an open style of play because he’s quick footed and nimble so able to exploit space.

No criticism here but up against bruisers of the division such as Millwall, he struggles with the lack of space and added physical side; it’s all part of his education though. Reminds me of when we had a young Barry Bannan on loan, he could emulate and better that career in time, with the right coaching.

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The talent is there, for me right now, he will always look better playing against teams with an open style of play because he’s quick footed and nimble so able to exploit space.

No criticism here but up against bruisers of the division such as Millwall, he struggles with the lack of space and added physical side; it’s all part of his education though. Reminds me of when we had a young Barry Bannan on loan, he could emulate and better that career in time, with the right coaching.

Very talented lad I think. Plays as the coaches are asking of him too - taking the ball deep in risky positions, playing as auxiliary left back to allow Buchanan to bomb on, playing simple balls to his colleagues who might be more expansive going forward. 

36 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Was rather humorous his attempt to pull Mitrovic back. Two hands full of shirt and he still could not manage it. ?.

Great game tho by the lad yesterday 

Fail Fathers Day GIF by RETROFUNK
It proper cracked me up that, he’s a fearless young lad, and a tidy footballer. One of the things I’ve thought when he has played is how I’d like to see him drive forward more so loved his run and pass to Buchanan that led to the goal. He’s one I really hope we re-sign regardless of league. Maybe initially not as a starting midfielder but as a rotational option, assuming we survive the season and can build a squad. 

Don’t get the criticism this lads received. Yes he had drop in form, but that’s to be expected from a young player.

He’s actually become an fairly important squad member considering his age and experience, he brings balance to the midfield and helps free up others to express themselves.

It’s such a shame that players like Thompson and so underrated by many.

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Was rather humorous his attempt to pull Mitrovic back. Two hands full of shirt and he still could not manage it. ?.

Great game tho by the lad yesterday 

He didn't succeed, but Davies did. This is him wearing Mitrovic's shirt after the game last night. I presume he found it in his pocket! 

FB_IMG_1650108144449.jpg

FB_IMG_1650108154103.jpg

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Who would have thought it. A 19 yo lad, of modest stature but with a big heart, having the occasional bit of inconsistency in a tough man’s league. Some of the criticism of this lad over recent weeks has been shocking. Sometimes I think perhaps we don’t deserve nice things.

Liam is the best thing to come out of Nott’m since the Raleigh Chopper??‍♂️