Liam Thompson

Day

Think this season came a year too early for him personally. Not his fault of course, but he was thrown in the deep end in the Championship before he was really ready, due to our circumstances. Don’t think the formation has helped him really either - 4231 doesn’t suit him, he needs to playing a terrier sort of role in a 433. 

He’s one of few I expect to stay next season, and I think he’ll be far more comfortable in League One.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Who would have thought it. A 19 yo lad, of modest stature but with a big heart, having the occasional bit of inconsistency in a tough man’s league. Some of the criticism of this lad over recent weeks has been shocking. Sometimes I think perhaps we don’t deserve nice things.

Is that an extract from your college report? 

?

14 minutes ago, Ramifications said:

I think he plays much better on the centre or the right side of midfield. They seem to have been using him in Graeme Shinnie's former position but when Bielek went off he went into his role and seemed much happier. He was class. In fact, he was better than Bielek. 

Agree, he's got better and better.  But he reminds me of a kid I used to play with years ago, buzzed around all over the place but you could literally flick him off the ball.  He really needs to do some strength work over the summer then he'd be quite a player. 

Young lad, good start, form dropped off, rightly rested, came back to replace the suspended Bird and did well again. Typical start for a teenager with prospects. They are not going to come in and be top players week in and week out over an entire season. I trust in Wayne to bring him and other young lads on at the right pace. 

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Young lad, good start, form dropped off, rightly rested, came back to replace the suspended Bird and did well again. Typical start for a teenager with prospects. They are not going to come in and be top players week in and week out over an entire season. I trust in Wayne to bring him and other young lads on at the right pace. 

Spot on

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

As @Gerry Daly said, I think this nails it. We've seen with pretty much all of the young'uns, even those who start exceptionally well, that they tend to have peaks and troughs. Max Bird's form dipped for quite a long time yet he now looks better than ever and on recent form alone, he'd have been a challenger for the senior POTY award.

We need to be patient and temper expectations and not jump on these lads the moment their form dips. Our kids will be be battle-hardened sooner than most and with Liam's technical ability I can see becoming a very useful player. Slight tangent, but I also expect Lee Buchanan to be much improved next season assuming he's still with us.