Liam Thompson

Day

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Agreed Mostyn.

If we have goal threats in front of us then you can play him but we don’t. Bird and Joz you’ll be luck for three a season. So playing Thompson means that’s three of your front six where we are very unlikely to see a goal. It puts too much pressure on the others.

Only his sixth start but not a goal scorer which is obvious

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't think it was one of his best games. Lots of non-attacking passing which is one of the reason are possession was so high. 

They did have 11 men behind the ball for most of the game, so I think some of that was excusable. For me, he excelled in winning the ball back and switching play, which helped to tire Reading out, but I accept he was more of a cog than a ramrod. He still caught my eye though.

6 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I think hes been  doing a brilliant job. He breaks up the play and keeps the ball moving. Hes been one of the keys to our turn in form. 

I agree, he is doing great, but i also agree with mostyns assessment. He will get there. 

You can’t start trying to change what he is or expect something he isn’t.

Anyone who’s seen him in the 23s knows he’s a holding midfield player who passes the ball nicely to retain possession and keeps it safe. 

Today pass nos / % were high to due to how they decided to defend the lead and it’s cost them eventually, but LT passes were 50% higher than last game and 10% increased accuracy. However I feel that’s more to do with where those passes were played from and too than a measure of his performance level being better.

However, is isn’t ever going to be a player that takes risks with the ball and passes forwards and it’s clearly not what the staff want from him or we’d see one of the more risk taking players ahead of him. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think Thompson has been playing slightly worse each game for the last half dozen games. Not really badly but a little bit worse each time. The last 2 games show he needs a break,  If Shinnie was still here I think he would have started the last two.  Now we will have to wait till Bielik is ready to start a game.

He has become too negative on the ball. Just passing sideways and backwards taking us into possession cul de sacs. When Bielik can start, Boro? he will be able to come off the bench for him and may some confidence from having more space.  

On 03/01/2022 at 17:42, jimtastic56 said:

Liam played it very safe when he first got a chance. I saw today  a more confident lad with a super 1st touch. I think there is a lot more to come . He could go a long way , simply with his passing ability especially if he does it around the opposing box.

Hope he's not another with a contract running out ! ......the EFL have us over a barrel , there will be no squad left !

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I think Thompson has been playing slightly worse each game for the last half dozen games. Not really badly but a little bit worse each time. The last 2 games show he needs a break,  If Shinnie was still here I think he would have started the last two.  Now we will have to wait till Bielik is ready to start a game.

He has become too negative on the ball. Just passing sideways and backwards taking us into possession cul de sacs. When Bielik can start, Boro? he will be able to come off the bench for him and may some confidence from having more space.  

I agree. It’s absolutely no fault of his own as he’s turning out to be a great player. He just needs a rest for a week or two to recharge and refine his game. We’ve just got to hope Bielik is fine so we can alternate bird and Thompson each match.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh ram said:

I agree. It’s absolutely no fault of his own as he’s turning out to be a great player. He just needs a rest for a week or two to recharge and refine his game. We’ve just got to hope Bielik is fine so we can alternate bird and Thompson each match.

Thompson is very much 3rd choice at the minute, for me his role would be sub, cover and Alamo games.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Everyone needs a rest at some point, and we've got a few who need a little rest - it's been a tiring 2 months (mentally and physically).
Unfortunately, we don't have many options right now. Bielik will probably be out for a few weeks, Ravel is out for 2 more games, and we have no idea if Jozwiak will be fine after taking a few aggressive whacks yesterday.

You're picking 6 from Tommo, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Festy, Lawrence, Kazim and Plange. It would probably have to be:

Festy   Knight   Bird   Lawrence
Kazim   Plange

Edited by Ghost of Clough

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Everyone needs a rest at some point, and we've got a few who need a little rest - it's been a tiring 2 months (mentally and physically).
Unfortunately, we don't have many options right now. Bielik will probably be out for a few weeks, Ravel is out for 2 more games, and we have no idea if Jozwiak will be fine after taking a few aggressive whacks yesterday.

You're picking 5 from Tommo, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Festy, Lawrence, Kazim and Plange. It would probably have to be:

Festy   Knight   Bird   Lawrence
Kazim   Plange

That's 6 ?