Steve Gibson trying to liquidate Derby

Carl Sagan

13 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think there is a lot of self-interest (the likes of Millwall happy to pick up a player for a knock down fee), probably quite a lot of indifference & clubs don't care until it happens to them. So much for the unity of the football family.

The EFL could ask that Middlesbrough & Wycombe drop their claim for the sake of unity in the pyramid system & perhaps setting an unwanted precedent. Both are involved in promotion battles so I cannot see how our 'misdemeanours' have affected them in the long-term. The EFL probably have no real authority to do this, but perhaps a veiled threat that any club involved in a spurious claim against other, could see any possible promotion spot withheld, or savour having to deal with two fixture lists.

Can't see this working but it's like dealing with two naughty children who won't take no for an answer.

We were well happy when we got Byrne at a knock down price with no tears for Wigan.There was our football unity. We are going to have to take our medicine and hope we don’t end up like Luton

As for Wigan, I thought they were treated badly. A Barnsley fan took me to task online. He complained that Wigan took Kieffer Moore off them. So everybody seems to have a complaint about each other.

That's the world of football, even the elite are sometimes forced to sell & very few clubs are in the privileged position of retaining all their players. In fact, it is players & their agents now who dictate proceedings. Look at the likes of Rudiger at Chelsea, CL holders & one of the wealthiest clubs in Europe, as he holds them to ransom whilst other clubs hover to recruit his services.

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

Good point. We are being hypocritical when it suits us

Fair point but, on the other hand, had they played a little more hard ball perhaps we would have increased the fee.

I don’t really see any hypocrisy, it’s just the way negotiations work:

1) Make a cheeky low first bid and get it rejected

2) Selling club (and their fans) make all the usual noises about bids being way too low

3) Increase the offer (rinse and repeat as often as necessary until the buying club get their man or walk away)

If Wigan did indeed accepted a cheeky offer then that probably came as much of a surprise to Derby as anyone. What you don’t do (and I don’t really believe anyone has) is go crying to the EFL if your offer gets rejected.

Sweet Jesus, I've just read the Boro forum... apparently according to some posters Derby are not on their knees and just need to sell their ground, training facility or some players. We don't own the ground you numpties ! That's the point ! Selling players for the sort of derisory numbers offered so far won't cover the cost of Greggs bakes for lunch !

32 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Sweet Jesus, I've just read the Boro forum... apparently according to some posters Derby are not on their knees and just need to sell their ground, training facility or some players. We don't own the ground you numpties ! That's the point ! Selling players for the sort of derisory numbers offered so far won't cover the cost of Greggs bakes for lunch !

I had a look earlier and they’re like the Bristol lot- obsessed with Derby... and think Gibson is the messiah. Crazy really but deluded football fans in a nutshell

EFL now getting backed into a corner, agree covid hit finances we then couner claim, they don't agree teams have to take the points, this is going to get messy, could be the end of the EFL as we know it. 

Gibson you need to go in a corner and have a word with yourself, remember people in glass houses, what goes around comes around

28 minutes ago, falconram said:

EFL now getting backed into a corner, agree covid hit finances we then couner claim, they don't agree teams have to take the points, this is going to get messy, could be the end of the EFL as we know it. 

Gibson you need to go in a corner and have a word with yourself, remember people in glass houses, what goes around comes around

I agree - pretty sure a lot of people on here called out ages ago when Mel used COVID as one of the key reasons for loss of revenue, and therefore detrimental impact on our P&S that this would come out down the line for other teams. And here we are.  IF, and it is an IF, the likes of Brizzel and {insert expletive} Boro use COVID as a reason and have it accepted by the EFL then we have every right to appeal against the EFL's very black and white decisions on us, not least refusing us the loan.  Alongside the Boro and WW claims, this could indeed get very very messy for the EFL.  

There's so many gems in that interview with the Brizzle CEO, but I think my particular favourite is how Covid has destroyed their ability to make millions from selling players, rather than the fact that they're crap and they've got very few players anyone wants.

Well, matey, Covid has put us into Administration and meant that other clubs are trying to sign our best players for peanuts, so pardon me if I don't shed a tear at your predicament.

10 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

I agree - pretty sure a lot of people on here called out ages ago when Mel used COVID as one of the key reasons for loss of revenue, and therefore detrimental impact on our P&S that this would come out down the line for other teams. And here we are.  IF, and it is an IF, the likes of Brizzel and {insert expletive} Boro use COVID as a reason and have it accepted by the EFL then we have every right to appeal against the EFL's very black and white decisions on us, not least refusing us the loan.  Alongside the Boro and WW claims, this could indeed get very very messy for the EFL.  

Can't have one rule for us and another rule for everyone else, this could be very interesting

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

There's so many gems in that interview with the Brizzle CEO, but I think my particular favourite is how Covid has destroyed their ability to make millions from selling players, rather than the fact that they're crap and they've got very few players anyone wants.

Well, matey, Covid has put us into Administration and meant that other clubs are trying to sign our best players for peanuts, so pardon me if I don't shed a tear at your predicament.

They bought when values were high, and have to sell when values are low.

Anyone trading will know that that's the way markets sometimes go.

17 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

To be fair our big P and S breaches were for seasons before COVID. Theoretically if we'd not gone into administration we would have benefitted as much as any other team from some P and S related 'COVID adjustment' for seasons where it hit revenue. 

Of course we did go into administration, and we blamed COVID for that, but so far other teams haven't. (It would definitely get interesting if a few other teams went into administration and blamed COVID.)