Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

49 minutes ago, jono said:

honestly I have reached the point that the punishment doesn’t matter .. we will be wherever we land, right or wrong. The thing that’s toughest is not knowing. I also get the feeling we will end up with penalties that go on for 3 seasons. I see no integrity, rationale or proportion in any of that. 

You broke the rules .. take your punishment. Correct. 

But if the rules are so badly drawn that punishment is disproportionate and dribbled out for years it is as disgraceful as it is unsporting. 

what is going to be interesting over the coming months is how many other clubs face sanctions and deductions. There is no way on earth that every other champ club is squeaky clean. Then what does a league table look like. It’s a farce. 

I said the same to my son this morning if the EFL treat everyone the same which they obviously don’t I bet 1/2 of the division isn’t squeaky clean so it should look a farce but I bet it doesn’t and it will be just cheating Derby minus x amount of points.

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought Ed Dawes asked the question, MM mentioned about Covid and Dawes said why is it not affecting everyone else, MM then gave the response about parachute payments and League One wages and the questioning was left there.

May be wrong on that. 

MM said that it is the ambitious clubs with bigger revenues who are worst hit by COVID, not the ones with parachute payments or clubs promoted from league 1. He also said , I think, that of the last 9 clubs promoted to the Premier League, only 2 would have complied with Championship FFP limits. 

12 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Yes because they disputed the valuation. For us to buy the stadium back, there's no way the EFL will allow us to receive it for less without punishment

If he owns it the valuation makes no difference to what he sells it for.  If he gifts it to an individual as part of any deal the tax implication would be substantial to him personally.  If it's still affiliated to the club in anyway, I suppose in theory it may go down as some sort of loss if he gives it for free thereby putting us in some breach of FFP further down the line.  

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Just because some disagree with some of your views on MM, it doesn't make them a MM lover. 

I saw the way Lionel Pickering was treated and slated by some of our fans and some of the comments about MM were very similar,  I find it hard to join in with slagging off, but I'm a Derby fan, not a MM fan.

And i'm a Derby fan,i don't give a hoot whether the owner comes from Derby or Dubai.Just because he is from Derby doesn't mean he is allowed an easier ride.

So in summary, we are in administration because high-flying, multi-millionaire businessman Mel Morris accidentally stated in public that he'd eventually have to let the club go for nothing, thus ensuring no buyer with half a brain would table an offer until we're in administration and the club is available for nothing?

How did this bloke ever get rich?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Just now, Arsene Titman said:

MM said that it is the ambitious clubs with bigger revenues who are worst hit by COVID, not the ones with parachute payments or clubs promoted from league 1. He also said , I think, that of the last 9 clubs promoted to the Premier League, only 2 would have complied with Championship FFP limits. 

This is football in the championship in a nutshell,if you want to compete which 9 clubs getting parachute payments and your a club of our size showing ambition you are going to incur losses or just drift along hoping for a miracle every couple of decades. Football is broken.

9 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Really,truthful perhaps but not silly,how many on here hung onto every word MM said.

The thing is, we're football fans. We tend to like owners who give us teams that win and are good to watch. Even better if they say the right things and plug into the club's identity. Mel did this, so he got lots of support and affection. I don't think that's a thing that anyone should disparage.

The position now means he's lost most of that support. 

And it'll happen again with the next owner - they'll be popular when we do well and vilified when we don't.

3 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

Mel states 8 teams still have parachute payments plus 3 teams coming up from Division 1. That still leaves 12 other teams plus Derby! Why aren't they going into Administration due to Covid? Regarding the £8.3 million loan, no reasonable reason given except wanting an extension of time to sort things out with the EFL?!!!! Amortisation - still sticking to his guns. Comes over as quite arrogant saying'that's a great question!'WTF! Sorry switched off as I don't want to listen to this bs anymore! COYR

As I said in a previous post, the phrase “that’s a great question” is quite common amongst those being interviewed. Probably to make the interviewer feel good but also to buy a bit of thinking time rather than saying “umm” or “errrrr”. So whilst he deserves plenty of stick, I’d let him off on that one.

Regarding the £8.3m loan, the EFL’s own website that it wasn’t available to any club in breach, or suspected of being in breach, of regulations. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So in summary, we are in administration because high-flying, multi-millionaire businessman Mel Morris accidentally stated in public that he'd eventually be to let the club go for nothing, thus ensuring no buyer with half a brain would table an offer until we're in administration and the club is available for nothing?

This isnt correct, he negotiated a deal which included the club to be debt free, the deal collapsed, people in these circles then talk between themselves

3 hours ago, Derbados said:

Ed’s doing his best here, he’s getting sod all back 

I also thought that Ed did really well, @Derbados and I thought he got a fair amount back from Mel given the volatlvity of the last couple of days.  Everything is not black and white and the truth often lies in between. I thought his answers were insightful and interesting. I thought Ed did well to put some probing questions. At the same time he was polite and courteous and his non-aggressive questioning led to an interesting and open interview. 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So in summary, we are in administration because high-flying, multi-millionaire businessman Mel Morris accidentally stated in public that he'd eventually be to let the club go for nothing, thus ensuring no buyer with half a brain would table an offer until we're in administration and the club is available for nothing?

Because, in his business career, he must have got more things right than wrong. At least he admitted he made a big mistake with that one.

20 minutes ago, jono said:

But how many of his detractors now were the ones saying “Uncle Mel” .. “pay what it costs” .. “yeaaarrr we got our man” .. “genius attracting Lampard” .. “Wayne ducking Rooney” etc etc etc 

He has effed up big time. His legacy is failure, reckless foolishness, lousy decision making, misplaced trust and dire, desperate uncertainty. No equivocation.

but he wasn't and isn’t the 3 amigos and there are a lot of folk spitting bile on here that need to look at their own changing views over his tenure. 

He gambled on black. It came up red 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

As I said in a previous post, the phrase “that’s a great question” is quite common amongst those being interviewed. Probably to make the interviewer feel good but also to buy a bit of thinking time rather than saying “umm” or “errrrr”. So whilst he deserves plenty of stick, I’d let him off on that one.

Regarding the £8.3m loan, the EFL’s own website that it wasn’t available to any club in breach, or suspected of being in breach, of regulations. 

Will be interesting to see if we were the only club denied it.

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

Then they should stop the self-righteous indignation when it all goes tits-up! 

Absolutely not. As far as the fans were aware for most of Mels tenure the club was being run competently and within the rules. We'll always want money spending. We have no control over how the organisation is run - that is entirely down to the owner.

If said owner then ruins our football club he deserves all the criticism he gets for it. We didn't force him to do anything - he ducked it up all by himself. He should have planned for the long term rather than throwing us under the bus.

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I can't understand the affection for a guy who has handed us to admin where there is a possibility of liquidation.  I am sure some want to build a statue of him in front of PP which he is about to rename Mel's Monument to Failure

It’s not about affection it’s about seeing things with accuracy rather than gut, in the moment emotion. We are all hurting but road rage isn’t constructive, logical or reflective of the whole story which is vastly complex. 

Just now, jono said:

It’s not about affection it’s about seeing things with accuracy rather than gut, in the moment emotion. We are all hurting but road rage isn’t constructive, logical or reflective of the whole story which is vastly complex. 

But I can see it clearly and not a bit of rage in me.  I have held this view for a long time and received many insults because of it.  I have no idea why you wish to suggest anything other but you are well off beam.