Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Exactly now saying there was a failure not I failed. Sorry we didnt get across the line not the same as I am sorry. 

He said he had put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the job. He had invested loads of money and had tried hard to move the club forward. Did he feel a sense of failure? Yes. This is not the end of the dream but sad that he didn't fulfil the dreams of the fans during his time. He thinks that the path forward will lead to re-vitalisation but sorry that he couldn't pull it off for them when he desperately wanted to.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Absolutely not. As far as the fans were aware for most of Mels tenure the club was being run competently and within the rules. We'll always want money spending. We have no control over how the organisation is run - that is entirely down to the owner.

If said owner then ruins our football club he deserves all the criticism he gets for it. We didn't force him to do anything - he ducked it up all by himself. He should have planned for the long term rather than throwing us under the bus.

Less 20 million lost revenue on Covid and catastrophic player re valuations because of that .. Derby won’t be the first with this problem. It remains to be seen if the EFL chase others with the same vigour. I am not excusing Mel. His failures are huge and demonstrable but perspective is crucial. 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

But I can see it clearly and not a bit of rage in me.  I have held this view for a long time and received many insults because of it.  I have no idea why you wish to suggest anything other but you are well off beam.

+1 there's no rage in me either but that doesn't fit the narrative.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It did say it in the club statement.

Sort of doesnt make sense that if a club is in financial trouble that the EFL would not loan them money to get out of financial trouble. 

Sums the EFL up quite well actually. 

He mentioned the wendy suspended points so surely he would have mentioned this???  The loan is to pay HMRC I think, did our debt to HMRC predate covid?  clutching at straws now so better shut up 

Edited by Spanish

1 minute ago, Norman said:

I'm not gettng this narrative set by a few on here that those daring to criticise Mel now were the same ones demanding signings and overspending. 

Massive, sweeping generalisation that comes across as a weak excuse for Mel's actions. 

Well perhaps you should. I see nothing weak in noting that empty vessels make the most noise. I was pretty sure at the time that the Butterfield / Johnson purchase was skewed and the later Chris Martin long contract seemed at odds with FFP but assumed the pro finance people knew what they were doing. Mel failed on that score .. big time. They were his people. He deserves criticism and vilification but a heck of a lot of folk didn’t care at the time  ., they were greatful that Mel had seemingly deep pockets and cheered to the rafters. I haven’t the will to sift through 4 years of posts … but they know who they are ! And I’d bet some of them are crucifying Mel right now. 

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

One of the most important aspects of leadership is to do things because they are right, not because others want you to do them.

I'm sure Mel read this message board before signing the likes of Bradley Johnson. 

I mean, it's not like he has stated himself that we learned he was available at the very last minute on transfer deadline day and just went for it. No plan, no process. 

Must have been all the pesky people on here demanding it. 

Edited by Norman

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It did say it in the club statement.

Sort of doesnt make sense that if a club is in financial trouble that the EFL would not loan them money to get out of financial trouble. 

Sums the EFL up quite well actually. 

Financial trouble of the clubs own making, besides not meeting the requirements to qualify for the loan,missed repayments being one of them why throw good money after bad with possibly no chance of repayment and it was just delaying the inevitable. I imagine the EFL have a better understanding of the clubs finances than anyone on here.

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

He mentioned the wendy suspended points so surely he would have mentioned this???  The loan is to pay HMRC I think, did our debt to HMRC predate covid?  clutching at straws now so better shut up 

Id be surprised if we ran up in excess of £20m debt pre Covid.