Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

The Lampard situation is interesting and is maybe the pivotal time to what we see now, also a little bit with Cocu. I’ll elaborate more in another post I think but , but I think with Lampard he gets his eyes fluttered and we end up with £60mill worth of talent on loan that’s irreplaceable. And £20 mill spent players who are worth nowhere near that.  Cocu is Mels dream appointment in terms of what but has to spend any profit he made of Lampard and then some just to make sure we are somewhere near replacing that £60 mill worth a talent. It becomes clear that Cocu is the right man, but at the wrong time.

I'm trying hard to imagine how you can believe any of that. 

Pivotal? We were already screwed to the hilt with FFP. He continued to spend. Cocu the right man? He'd be a lucky Dutch man then in English football. ?

Mel has been chasing his debts since the crazy season he bought midfield replacements when loans would have done. Before that he just sacked the man that would take us to the Promised Land because his ego didn't like that others wanted the same talent! ?

3 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I won’t be listening to this if it’s interspersed with music. Radio Derby’s choice of “music” is diabolical in the extreme. Why have they always been 30-40 years behind the times? Are the majority of their listeners in the 80-100 age group?

What did you say?

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've heard this line of defense before so not having a pop at you in my reply....as the steward and custodian of our football club I'd have expected at least a plan B to have been formulated if the reckless spending didn't bear the fruits it was meant to.

The only plan B I can see is lets put the club in administration. 

Would your plan B have factored in a global pandemic that decimated your income by about 65%?

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

But Angie, I think this misses the point. The fans will *always* want money spending. The owner is the one in charge and responsible for ignoring the whims of the fans and making the best decision for the club. 

Edited by Andicis

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've heard this line of defense before so not having a pop at you in my reply....as the steward and custodian of our football club I'd have expected at least a plan B to have been formulated if the reckless spending didn't bear the fruits it was meant to.

The only plan B I can see is lets put the club in administration. 

Plan B was to change our ammortisation policy.

Plan C was to sell the stadium to himself (although Where's the 80million now I have no idea?). 

Plan D When these didn't work (which they didn't), throw the club into administration and walk away with the stadium..

I'm trying to stitch the bits together as the new news for me was the "about 4m breach of P&S". 

So we knew from the EFL that revised accounts and financial information was submitted August 18th. 

The hearsay evidence suggested that the EFL were pushing for a 9 point penalty. 

So presumably this was the 4 points for the overspend, which is as per the rules plus the EFL seeking further deductions of 5 which I assume were the subject of the "negotiations" between dcfc and efl. This, despite the fact that the event giving rise was the insistence of following a different accounting approach, which was already punished by a fine. 

Not particularly surprised that we did not reach agreement if the EFL were more than doubling the prescribed penalty. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

You don't think someone can be critical of overspending and then being critical of managers and players for being rubbish?

I'm sorry but that's patently absurd. There is not only the 2 extremes available. You can live within your means and aim for better. See Tom Glick for details.

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think we as Derby fans all realise that relegation is 99.9% certain. 

To me, that helps put an end to another dilemma. I love going to the Brian Clough/East Midlands Derby. I always prefer Derby and Forest to be in the same division. However, I also quite enjoy watching Forest in a relegation battle. In most years I generally want them to stay up - albeit only just. This season I don't have to feel dirty watching Forest in April and hoping they win. 

In the nicest possible way - I really hope Forest maintain their current form and finish below us - especially if we have a 21 point penalty.

Bless you and thanks - agree I always enjoy a good Derby game myself - joy was unrestrained yesterday though with Hughton's style of play not holding the team back and we're only 9 points off the play-offs !!! Many think Cooper is a good choice as the new manager which looks pretty much a done deal. Best of luck I wouldn't wish your current plight on any club, even you!!! COYReds     

Edited by Icomeinpeace
spelling

9 minutes ago, Icomeinpeace said:

Hold on to your hat... so the number's that are being touted are 12 for administration, 12 instead of 9 for the late submission of accounts (which Mel admitted in the interview), 12 for 1st year FFP breach then a further 9×2 for two further years. There could also be 3 pts (suspended) for not paying players and, this is a new one because of administration but I believe there's 15 pts if you can't settle 25% of creditors immediately - I make that around 72 points... 

only too aware of that, hence the second part of my post. 

I don't think it's as simple as Mel handing the stadium back to us at this point.

For him to do that, after we avoided falling foul of P&S by selling it, we risk the EFL opening that case up again and positing that he has deliberately sold it back to us far under the market value (I.e. £0).

That market value was argued about relentlessly and now legally we know what it's worth.

If we want Pride Park back the price is £80million. Possibly more if the price of the land rises further.

We'll probably never own the ground again until we can get into the Premier League and get away from P&S.

2 hours ago, samwcave said:

“It’s absolutely all about COVID” 

answer me this then Mel… why isn’t every other club in admin? 

he. Is. Clueless. 

I don't think for one minute that Covid is to blame for our problems, @samwcave, but I think Mel's point was that it came during the time that he was trying to sell the club. No club revenue at that time, no possibility of visits or face to face meetings, everywhere shut down which all made it very hard to sell the club.

Other teams in the championship suffered financially because of covid, but individual circumstances meant that some were impacted more financially than others. From what I gathered 8 teams in the championship benefited from parachute payments during this time of between 12 -42million. I'm just looking at what I have typed and I assume that was shared between them? I don't know. Derby did not qualify for this, obviously and they were not eligible for the EFL grant given to other championship clubs because of the embargo.

Mel said that that many different factors should be taken into consideration when deciding who qualifies for loans and who doesn't and there is a lack of joined up thinking at EFL. All factors together should be considered rather than looking at one set of figures. Covid hit some clubs harder than others depending on parachute payments, EFL loans, the size of the club and the overheads. In fairness I don't think he sounded clueless, more exasperated.

24 minutes ago, JABBA said:

Most of these will be due to the huge bonuses paid to players for the promotion and clauses in sales the breach not really contributing to the success but rising as a result of it.

That's a really good point.

They breached because they were successful, they weren't successful because they breached.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

I don't think it's as simple as Mel handing the stadium back to us at this point.

For him to do that, after we avoided falling foul of P&S by selling it, we risk the EFL opening that case up again and positing that he has deliberately sold it back to us far under the market value (I.e. £0).

That market value was argued about relentlessly and now legally we know what it's worth.

If we want Pride Park back the price is £80million. Possibly more if the price of the land rises further.

We'll probably never own the ground again until we can get into the Premier League and get away from P&S.

Sadly you're probably right Tombo. 

Tragic. 

Once he tried to compare us to forest in regards to sacking of managers, I nearly turned the interview off. The majority of his explanations were excuses. Covid did this. EFL did this. We've been hard done by. Everyone hates us. Compared us with this and that club.

No accountability which is all I'm looking for as a supporter. 

Arrogant. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes let's throw in Covid again.

It wasn't mentioned nearly enough in the press statement circulated on Friday night.

Covid.

There's one free from me. 

So do you think Covid has had no effect at all on club finances?

FWIW I'm not even defending MM here, think he should pick up the tab for any debt accumulated during his tenure.