Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

Just now, Archie said:

Ive been thinking about this too. 

If the sale of the stadium for 80 million allowed us to keep within or close to breaching ffp and then a few years later it is sold back to the club for say 10 million, doesn't this just outline the fraud in selling the stadium to himself in the first place to stay within ffp? I'm sure the EFL would want to know more if this situation was to materialise and the sale wouldn't simply go through so easily without questions being asked. The value of the stadium is so public now, why would the owner of it (the former custodian of the club and the person who the EFL clearly do not like) seemingly give it back for very little money when it is known to be worth so much more. 

I'm sure the EFL would be knocking on the door in this case. 

Different owners couldn't be held to account for that surely?

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There was a simple retort to this - that still leaves another 12 clubs, wh are they not also entering administration if this is all down to Covid?

Why are these interviewers unable to think on their feet instead of just asking pre prepared questions?

this response was in answer to that exact question from ED - unfortunately due to verbosity at the end of the question we didn't get a specific answer       

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Different owners couldn't be held to account for that surely?

Yes they could - the EFL can re-visit any decision and hand down any punishment they deem appropriate.

However, I don't believe that they will. I think that as soon as Mel is gone, they will be far more conciliatory. 

Just now, Monty said:

this response was in answer to that exact question from ED - unfortunately due to verbosity at the end of the question we didn't get a specific answer       

I thought Ed Dawes asked the question, MM mentioned about Covid and Dawes said why is it not affecting everyone else, MM then gave the response about parachute payments and League One wages and the questioning was left there.

May be wrong on that. 

13 minutes ago, Miggins said:

This amortisation has puzzled me. I got the impression from the interview that the EFL had indicated that it would consider deviations from the straight line policy as long as they approved it, which I thought they did. Derby chose to do it differently from other clubs to reflect the market realities of the transfer market and then it became a major issue further down the line. He was adamant that it was done in good faith to relect how things really are. As you say @Yani P,  although it was declared compliant by an expert, it was then overturned and not by an expert. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Thats one of the follow on questions ed coukd have asked when Mel said there was no accountant on the second panel - why didnt we have our expert witness? This has been mentioned numerous times in here

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

But Angie, I think this misses the point. The fans will *always* want money spending. The owner is the one in charge and responsible for ignoring the whims of the fans and making the best decision for the club. 

Then they should stop the self-righteous indignation when it all goes tits-up! 

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There’s plenty on this forum who have been ridiculing posters for their criticisms of Mel for a long, long time. Have a look at the way @therams69was being treated on here. Can understand why the term “heads in the sand” was being used now…

They have mate. I still stand by my comment, harsh maybe, but I stand by it. I had alot to say and it was hard for me to disclose certain things which led to alot of criticism. Another one of them ITK accounts and all that and every word or term i would use would be used against me hence why I stopped posting on here.

But I strongly felt many were all too believing of Mel. Perhaps blind faith and all that. The silence from when i posted in May to now was deafening, we should have seen what was coming. The signs were there. 

3 hours ago, Yani P said:

poo..Mel gives support to Rooney..and appears to be saying he has done him a favour by having this tiny squad lol

Mel was certainly generous in his support of Wayne. He said that he is becoming a first class manager and his focus is spot on. He also said he was so proud of Max Bird on Saturday. He wouldn't talk personally about individual managers but admits that he should have been more patient. He said that Cocu was a great guy and in other circumstances would have done a great job for us.

He wasn't extolling the virtues of a small squad. He seemed to be saying that one of the advantages (against the obvious disadvantages) of a small squad is that it has helped in the development of players.

18 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Only one of these points was not known to him when he decided to invest in Derby County. If he didn't like it he should have kept the lid on the biscuit tin. Truth is, simples, he gambled big and it didn't come off. You may have a view on whether the gamble was worth it but the fact it didn't come off had got three bits of nothing to do with television revenues.

these were just general financial impacts he mentioned as I outlined in my post - and the tv income was an overall point again as I noted. The discrepancy between the PL and the championship is very significant

33 minutes ago, Monty said:

just fact checking my earlier post

some general financial impacts MM mentioned

1. 8 championship clubs receive parachute payments of between £12-£42m pa 

2. L1 promoted clubs have a much lower salary cost with a 5.5m tv and solidarity payment

3. covid loss of £20m in the case of DCFC - clubs with more fans have a bigger proportionate hit from covid

4. as an overall point Tv income in the championship is one twentieth of a PL game - he compared games between 'smaller' PL clubs with low fan bases and 'larger' Championship clubs with higher fan bases 

ambitious clubs in the championship trying to be competitive have a higher impact of the covid losses i.e dcfc

He also said if we had received the £8.3m loan that would have been pushing the financial problem further down the line. However I guess the point is when it needs paying back hopefully crowds are back

Just now, CBRammette said:
35 minutes ago, Monty said:

just fact checking my earlier post

some general financial impacts MM mentioned

1. 8 championship clubs receive parachute payments of between £12-£42m pa 

2. L1 promoted clubs have a much lower salary cost with a 5.5m tv and solidarity payment

3. covid loss of £20m in the case of DCFC - clubs with more fans have a bigger proportionate hit from covid

4. as an overall point Tv income in the championship is one twentieth of a PL game - he compared games between 'smaller' PL clubs with low fan bases and 'larger' Championship clubs with higher fan bases 

ambitious clubs in the championship trying to be competitive have a higher impact of the covid losses i.e dcfc

He also said if we had received the £8.3m loan that would have been pushing the financial problem further down the line. However I guess the point is when it needs paying back hopefully crowds are back

Sorry my bit has gone in the quote box with yours.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Then they should stop the self-righteous indignation when it all goes tits-up! 

No, because once again, the fans don't call the shots. As fans it is reasonable to expect that any such large player spend is something we can afford and isn't something that would put us in financial trouble. The fans can be as self righteous as they like, as they aren't the ones that ducked this up. That was Mel.

17 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

WigAn were charged  £2,266,930.25 by Begbies a 3rd rate outfit and we will be more complicated than them¢64,  I have been thru 4 administrations 1 putting into administration and 3 buying from an administrator.

They only want to clock as many hours as possible because they charge an hourly rate , including admin staff back in their offices at £150/hour thru to  ¢650-700/hr for a partner.

Wigans average was £367/hour  well over 4000 hours

I worked at Midland Car Parts in Derby a few years back, Went into Admin, Grant-Thornton were the Administrators, For a while we kept getting updates of the progress and costs, They were the highest paid, I wasn't there long enough(complete 2 years employment)so no redundancy, Even lost my 4 weeks holiday pay.

6 minutes ago, therams69 said:

They have mate. I still stand by my comment, harsh maybe, but I stand by it. I had alot to say and it was hard for me to disclose certain things which led to alot of criticism. Another one of them ITK accounts and all that and every word or term i would use would be used against me hence why I stopped posting on here.

But I strongly felt many were all too believing of Mel. Perhaps blind faith and all that. The silence from when i posted in May to now was deafening, we should have seen what was coming. The signs were there. 

If you had any information that the club was heading for administration then it should have been disclosed and maybe other posters would have taken you seriously?

To most you are just a poster on a football forum and what you say will hold no more weight than other posters opinions. 

I wish I had taken your concerns more seriously (not that I think I could have helped do anything about it) but I make no apology because, as I pointed out at the time, your approach to the matter was completely wrong.

'I know something but won't tell you' is never going to get people on your side I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm trying to stitch the bits together as the new news for me was the "about 4m breach of P&S". 

So we knew from the EFL that revised accounts and financial information was submitted August 18th. 

The hearsay evidence suggested that the EFL were pushing for a 9 point penalty. 

So presumably this was the 4 points for the overspend, which is as per the rules plus the EFL seeking further deductions of 5 which I assume were the subject of the "negotiations" between dcfc and efl. This, despite the fact that the event giving rise was the insistence of following a different accounting approach, which was already punished by a fine. 

Not particularly surprised that we did not reach agreement if the EFL were more than doubling the prescribed penalty. 

Don't know if anyone has replied as I'm wading through this thread.

I believe the implication MM gave was that they were negotiating one penalty for all of the outstanding years (3 years ending 2018 (4 points), 2019 & 2020), so as not to be hit with a double punishment for the same restatement exercise.

2019 was always expected to be a fail given the restatement with 2020 & 2021 likely to be a pass once chunks of the big amortisation hits have worked their way back into the 3 years ending 2018 & 2019.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought Ed Dawes asked the question, MM mentioned about Covid and Dawes said why is it not affecting everyone else, MM then gave the response about parachute payments and League One wages and the questioning was left there.

May be wrong on that. 

yep we didn't get an answer re covid impact and other clubs - the tv income comment was just a general point about income in the championship and not directly related to the current situation 

not sure how much income from rams tv was generated during covid 

34 minutes ago, Rev said:

Mel could sell it back to the club for whatever he fancies, so long as he's not part of the ownership in any way.

The only reason he had to pay that valuation was because he was a related party to the transaction, which wouldn't be the case if ownership was elsewhere.

Could also be true. I don't think either of us know for sure.

He is of course free do to what he likes with his own stadium but the club would probably be punished heavily for the year we should have failed P&S but didn't because of the stadium