Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

The biggest thing for me was the reveal that on the 2nd sitting of the panel judging our accounts we had no accountant on it like the first time who was totally happy with how Derby did it .

Do you not think  on its own that this stinks and certainly shows the EFL are not giving Derby a fair crack of the whip , i happen to think that what Mel said about how Derby have judged their player values as perfectly o.k .This in my opinion should be abled to be judged at a much higher level than it has been as i think deffo Mel has upset people in the EFL before this and they have been out to get him no matter what the cost ( Stevie gibson comes to mind ) . 

Im not saying im sticking up for Mel as he should really have batted on a straight wicket and he has tried to bowl a few to many googlies .

But the fact remains on the fact of who sat on the 2nd sitting if its true absolutely stinks and doesnt put the EFL in a very good light at all.

Surely Derby as a club can take this further . . 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You haven't been listening - he's said it all before. I read the bit about the buyers hovering in the background thank you - look at Nicholson's Twitter feed. I'm not surprised he's heaping praise on Rooney, he'll say he appointed him and now that revelations about who's been paying what are being leaked Mel's got to gain some support back. I've read the Covid stuff too.

Why did I have to listen to Mel and Ed Dawes, I didn't there are plenty of sources information apart from an edited chat.

Don’t know why you have to listen, I mean the choices you seemingly had were spending an hour listening to an interview or spend the day after not listening to it on a forum questioning others’ opinions and asking why anybody had bothered?

Just now, TuffLuff said:

Don’t know why you have to listen, I mean the choices you seemingly had were spending an hour listening to an interview or spend the day after not listening to it on a forum questioning others’ opinions and asking why anybody had bothered?

I don't care who listened and for how long. The link is posted above go listen again. You didn't get it all the first time then?

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Intuition is an interesting subject. But in this case I'd prefer facts - is the stadium and training ground to be part of any deal or will you be leasing them to the new owners? Why didn't you settle a points deduction with EFL, accept their offer? Or why didn't you submit the late accounts and P&S?

These questions were not addressed in the interview, Roy, so I really can't say. But I still stand by my intuition! Call it a gut reaction about how I felt about the interview. Can't explain it really.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

some of us can remember having gone through similar situations

Just for info....I've been through Tommy Doc ripping the great team apart, the Division 3 days (which were fun), the Stuart Webb "rescue" and the subsequent Maxwell era, Lionel and the Co-op, the 3 amigos etc.

But I actually think this is possibly worse than any of those. Maybe that's partly because I'm falling out of love with football in general: sky money, Premier League, European Super League etc.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You think our model reflected reality?  Really you do?

Thing is, it *could* reflect reality. In Derby's case it  "as if by magic" made a reality in which we met FFP/P&S rules in years where we'd spent a lot of money. Funny that. If it had been implimented during the Nigel Clough/GSE auterity football years it might have been a whole lot more convincing that it was being done as an improvment to the accounting methodology.

Part of what I thought came up in the hearings and written reasons was essentially (paraphrasing) "There's not enough reliable data to make using a non-straight line method defensible" after all each player is an individual human being who happens to be talented at playing football, each player will be on an individual contract, you can't really reliably say what the value of each of those contracts would be at any point other than the start (you know what you paid) and the end (there is no longer value) which is why everyone else does it in a straight line. Doesn't mean you'd have to do it in a straight line, but you'd have to present a good case of why a straight line wasn't best.

I did thnk that prehaps what could be defensible is a curve (ar series of curves) made from a large scale analysis of transfers as to how contract values depreciate over different contract lengths (and ages, positions etc) and develop a standarised non-liniar methodology - perhaps someone doing a data science course might want to do a paper on that?

Just now, IslandExile said:

Just for info....I've been through Tommy Doc ripping the great team apart, the Division 3 days (which were fun), the Stuart Webb "rescue" and the subsequent Maxwell era, Lionel and the Co-op, the 3 amigos etc.

But I actually think this is possibly worse than any of those. Maybe that's partly because I'm falling out of love with football in general: sky money, Premier League, European Super League etc.

Well then I commend you your fortitude for listening to Mel. I could only bring myself to read the fantasies. #COYR

1 minute ago, Miggins said:

These questions were not addressed in the interview, Roy, so I really can't say. But I still stand by my intuition! Call it a gut reaction about how I felt about the interview. Can't explain it really..

Having listened to Mel at Fans Forums he can sound very convincing. 

It doesn't matter because soon the future of the club won't be down to him. #COYR

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well then I commend you your fortitude for listening to Mel. I could only bring myself to read the fantasies. #COYR

I've begun a poll but I would like to hear what you, specifically, think are the reasons why Mel has put us into administration?

In your opinion, is it purely a get out after years of incompetent management or do you think it's something more vindictive than that?

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I've begun a poll but I would like to hear what you, specifically, think are the reasons why Mel has put us into administration?

In your opinion, is it purely a get out after years of incompetent management or do you think it's something more vindictive than that?

No I don't think it's vindictive and I have never implied such. I think he's a real egoist and after years of managing the club as he wanted, managers etc, the Academy because right at the start of his tenure he told us he wanted to leave a legacy, it's all about him. Him leading us to the promised land, on his terms...

...he's decided to stop paying for the mess he created, slightly exacerbated by covid. Will he keep the ground and Moor Farm? I laugh at the offer of the club for £15m (?) less than he paid - well there are bits missing since you bought us! ?

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Ultimately, he is responsible for what has happened to the club, he has taken gambles which haven't paid off. He and Derby have been unlucky on a number of occasions over the years with a number of events contributing to the current situation. Who knows, had Zamora not scored that goal, Hughes and Bryson got injured, Newcastle, Stoke and Chelsea not sacked their managers, EFL deciding our amortisation policy was wrong years later, EFL questioning the value of the ground, Lampard picking a different team against villa and finally the big one covid, we may have got away with it.

Not condoning Mel's culpability at all - the failed gambles are clear enough, he's put us where we are - though you missed one  'misfortune' out! The fateful Joiner's Arms pi$$gate crash and morale/squad-crippling aftermath. It put the skates under Cocu. Has any club ever seen such a stupid, reckless caper from captain and his jolly pals? Then, having to pay off clown Keogh, to boot...Mel's disastrous sacking decision!

Forget Balotelli's "Why Always Me?"....it's "Why Always Derby?"

28 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You think our model reflected reality?  Really you do?

Probably and I say that with the acceptance that I may be wrong. In reality teams buy player who perform to the expected level an in this scenario the model of exponential depreciation works. If a player under performs then the straight line model applies - unless the club decided to off load, then the negative exponential would apply. If a player over performs then his asset value would increase. Accordingly, no fixed model is correct and logically the method of amortisation applied, should reflect the individual asset. For example Bogle's asset value increased, jozefoons decreased - why treat them the same?

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So in summary, we are in administration because high-flying, multi-millionaire businessman Mel Morris accidentally stated in public that he'd eventually have to let the club go for nothing, thus ensuring no buyer with half a brain would table an offer until we're in administration and the club is available for nothing?

How did this bloke ever get rich?

Luck that’s how

1 hour ago, therams69 said:

See this is the problem. The approach, the wording, the language, the manner... I could go on.... This is what the debate ended up going on about...

Did i have 'information' the club was going into admin back in May? No. Did I think it was going to happen? Yes I did.

One thing as I said at the time I was not prepared to do, was name drop people or suggest even where it came from. These same people now risk losing their job. I am sorry but I was not prepared to take that burden. Whether you accept that or not, to be honest I couldn't give a toss considering the current circumstances they now find themselves in. I suspect over the coming weeks and months, once their jobs are going, you may find out more. I had to be careful what I said. Up to people like you to make judgement. Many people on the forum know me and backed me. That should have been enough to trust.

Understand your stance but I'm just telling you how things are.

I couldn't care less if people on the forum know you or not, I don't know you from Adam so have absolutely zero reason to trust you any more than any other poster, unless you had provided something worth looking into, you didn't. 

Another thing i agreed with him on covid has hit the bigger clubs harder that are pushing to match the clubs that have come down with parachute payments you can see his side of this surely . The things he has done wrong for me is the stadium sale to himself that stinks even if tech legal . Also wasted millions on unwise decisions on players and managers to the point he cant fund this anymore . When you add onto this he has plainly put noses out of joint on tv rights ( i happen to think he is correct by the way ) and this has caused the big wigs at the efl to come gunning for him . Derby ought to be able to challenge who sat on the 2nd independant panel judging our accounts , the fact it lacked an accountant like the first time stinks of an efl set up , this should go to a higher court of law . 

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

The biggest thing for me was the reveal that on the 2nd sitting of the panel judging our accounts we had no accountant on it like the first time who was totally happy with how Derby did it .

Do you not think  on its own that this stinks and certainly shows the EFL are not giving Derby a fair crack of the whip , i happen to think that what Mel said about how Derby have judged their player values as perfectly o.k .This in my opinion should be abled to be judged at a much higher level than it has been as i think deffo Mel has upset people in the EFL before this and they have been out to get him no matter what the cost ( Stevie gibson comes to mind ) . 

Im not saying im sticking up for Mel as he should really have batted on a straight wicket and he has tried to bowl a few to many googlies .

But the fact remains on the fact of who sat on the 2nd sitting if its true absolutely stinks and doesnt put the EFL in a very good light at all.

Surely Derby as a club can take this further . . 

100 per cent. The EFL look increasingly dodgy with stuff like this. 

1 hour ago, therams69 said:

See this is the problem. The approach, the wording, the language, the manner... I could go on.... This is what the debate ended up going on about...

Did i have 'information' the club was going into admin back in May? No. Did I think it was going to happen? Yes I did.

One thing as I said at the time I was not prepared to do, was name drop people or suggest even where it came from. These same people now risk losing their job. I am sorry but I was not prepared to take that burden. Whether you accept that or not, to be honest I couldn't give a toss considering the current circumstances they now find themselves in. I suspect over the coming weeks and months, once their jobs are going, you may find out more. I had to be careful what I said. Up to people like you to make judgement. Many people on the forum know me and backed me. That should have been enough to trust.

But even if everyone on here had bought into what you said in May how would that have stopped us being where we are now?