Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you had any information that the club was heading for administration then it should have been disclosed and maybe other posters would have taken you seriously?

To most you are just a poster on a football forum and what you say will hold no more weight than other posters opinions. 

I wish I had taken your concerns more seriously (not that I think I could have helped do anything about it) but I make no apology because, as I pointed out at the time, your approach to the matter was completely wrong.

'I know something but won't tell you' is never going to get people on your side I'm afraid.

See this is the problem. The approach, the wording, the language, the manner... I could go on.... This is what the debate ended up going on about...

Did i have 'information' the club was going into admin back in May? No. Did I think it was going to happen? Yes I did.

One thing as I said at the time I was not prepared to do, was name drop people or suggest even where it came from. These same people now risk losing their job. I am sorry but I was not prepared to take that burden. Whether you accept that or not, to be honest I couldn't give a toss considering the current circumstances they now find themselves in. I suspect over the coming weeks and months, once their jobs are going, you may find out more. I had to be careful what I said. Up to people like you to make judgement. Many people on the forum know me and backed me. That should have been enough to trust.

29 minutes ago, GenBr said:

His major duck ups were his transfer policy, non playing staff recruitment and the ludicrous wages we paid. Covid made it worse, but it didnt cause the problem. We had to sell the stadium before covid came along. Covid is completely irrelevant for me when discussing Mels poor stewardship of the club. Its just an excuse and not a very good one.

All true up to a point but if you are treading a fine line, taking risks,  if you think, we’ll just nick this and all will be well … then Covid comes ? … No … it’s very relevant for ambitious gamblers and an extreme example of how plans get derailed. 

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

IF (and it's still a big IF) the worse does happen, I would predict 1 of 2 things happens - either we do a Rangers and just pretend we're still the same club once a new club is fromed (as a business Called Derby COunty Football Club) and never shut up about how we're totally that same club that won the FA cup and the league twice (whilst forest and leicester fans never shut up about how we're not). Or. We create a phoenix club al la AFC Wimbledon that spritually is the continuation of Derby County (e.g. Derby City or something).

Either way, Derby is a city that loves it's football club and that love, demand, passion and drive will eventually lead to a professional football team in the top two divisions of english football.

AFC Derby County. 

Hopefully a viable buyer comes in. 

Sounds like a narcissist to be honest.

“Blame everything and everyone but me”

Its been a circus since he came in - I’ve been berated for years because it was obvious he was taking us into a financial mess and the club would eventually come to a stand still. 

The ridiculous long term contracts, the manager merry go rounds, the pretty much bad monthly tabloids about us. 

This was way before Covid mate 

Edited by Papahet

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm trying hard to imagine how you can believe any of that. 

Pivotal? We were already screwed to the hilt with FFP. He continued to spend. Cocu the right man? He'd be a lucky Dutch man then in English football. ?

Mel has been chasing his debts since the crazy season he bought midfield replacements when loans would have done. Before that he just sacked the man that would take us to the Promised Land because his ego didn't like that others wanted the same talent! ?

I believe that because I listened to what Mel said on an interview by Radio Derby at 1pm, I thought it was probably a good idea to do that before posting in a thread called ‘Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm’. 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Go on then tell me the things YOU heard that Mel or other sources/EFL hasn't already told the media/press or fans in one form or another. Put your facts where your mouth is mate.

You don't know if you don't listen and by the same token can't judge if you don't listen. You may well be right, but you are guessing if you don't listen.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I believe that because I listened to what Mel said on an interview by Radio Derby at 1pm, I thought it was probably a good idea to do that before posting in a thread called ‘Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm’. 

The comments I made relate to known facts about the club - why did you have to hear it all again, didn't it sink in first time?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Go on then tell me the things YOU heard that Mel or other sources/EFL hasn't already told the media/press or fans in one form or another. Put your facts where your mouth is mate.

To me the biggest reveal was that - in Mel's opinion - the potential buyers are simply hovering with no intention of buying until the club does go into Administration, and the points deductions are settled.

That may have been predictable to many, but here was Mel actually saying it.

I have also been thinking his relationship with Rooney had totally broken down - not telling him about Administration was disgraceful and Rooney said they haven't spoken for weeks - but it was nice to hear the praise heaped on Rooney by Mel.

I also think it was good to hear details about managerial appointments, failed takeovers and so on from the man himself.

People have been calling for honest communication from Mel. Here he was delivering it and you chose not to listen. Fair enough. I am just surprised.

Even if he had ranted about the EFL (which he didn't to a large extent) or Covid (which he did a bit more), I still think it's worth listening to the other side rather than just close your ears to it and make your mind up beforehand.

None of this is to say that I am happy with how Mel has managed the club or with what he's done, I'm very far from happy about it, but I do believe in listening to all sides and making a judgement based on that. As opposed to shutting things off. Why anyone would demand more communication and then just not listen? Sorry, don't get it.

Just now, Ramtastic ones said:

You don't know if you don't listen and by the same token can't judge if you don't listen. You may well be right, but you are guessing if you don't listen.

I'm not bothering to, I've read Nicholson's pieces - the DET got the same info as RD or didn't you know that? 

12 minutes ago, Chilwellram said:

If administration is just around the corner how long can we keep on paying the players wages for  ?

That is a big worry and without being in the transfer window, the administrators will find it difficult to raise funds. However, the club have sold quite a few season tickets and hopefully that money has been kept back for the players wages, otherwise there'll be another 3 points deduction coming.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

To me the biggest reveal was that - in Mel's opinion - the potential buyers are simply hovering with no intention of buying until the club does go into Administration, and the points deductions are settled.

That may have been predictable to many, but here was Mel actually saying it.

I have also been thinking his relationship with Rooney had totally broken down - not telling him about Administration was disgraceful and Rooney said they haven't spoken for weeks - but it was nice to hear the praise heaped on Rooney by Mel.

I also think it was good to hear details about managerial appointments, failed takeovers and so on from the man himself.

People have been calling for honest communication from Mel. Here he was delivering it and you chose not to listen. Fair enough. I am just surprised.

Even if he had ranted about the EFL (which he didn't to a large extent) or Covid (which he did a bit more), I still think it's worth listening to the other side rather than just close your ears to it and make your mind up beforehand.

None of this is to say that I am happy with how Mel has managed the club or with what he's done, I'm very far from happy about it, but I do believe in listening to all sides and making a judgement based on that. As opposed to shutting things off. Why anyone would demand more communication and then just not listen? Sorry, don't get it.

You haven't been listening - he's said it all before. I read the bit about the buyers hovering in the background thank you - look at Nicholson's Twitter feed. I'm not surprised he's heaping praise on Rooney, he'll say he appointed him and now that revelations about who's been paying what are being leaked Mel's got to gain some support back. I've read the Covid stuff too.

Why did I have to listen to Mel and Ed Dawes, I didn't there are plenty of sources information apart from an edited chat.

47 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yes, it is correct what he said about player values dropping mainly in the last year of their contract and I don't see that it is illegal to do the amortisation in this way. Derby used this method in the belief that when the final year of these players' contracts were due, we would be in the premier league and then it wouldn't matter,  one of a number of gambles which didn't pay off. 

He also tried to justify Lampard's team's wages by saying that Rowett's compensation nearly covered their first season costs, but they were on 3 year contracts, how would we have covered the other 2 years?

Ultimately, he is responsible for what has happened to the club, he has taken gambles which haven't paid off. He and Derby have been unlucky on a number of occasions over the years with a number of events contributing to the current situation. Who knows, had Zamora not scored that goal, Hughes and Bryson got injured, Newcastle, Stoke and Chelsea not sacked their managers, EFL deciding our amortisation policy was wrong years later, EFL questioning the value of the ground, Lampard picking a different team against villa and finally the big one covid, we may have got away with it.

He probably thought that as it was his money, he was entitled to take the gamble. But unfortunately it isn't that simple and the reputation and status of the club are now in question.

Didn’t say it was illegal I have long held the view that it was poor corporate governance and expressed that many times here.  He pushed the envelope until it burst

15 minutes ago, Ramtastic ones said:

What Derby did was adopt a method that reflected the reality of football. Ronaldo for £13m, Bogle and Lowe for £7m. There is the reality. What do you think is better value? All will be worth nothing as an asset when their contracts expire.

You think our model reflected reality?  Really you do?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The comments I made relate to known facts about the club - why did you have to hear it all again, didn't it sink in first time?

Because people have been calling for it to be communicated by Mel himself, rather than through tweets by journos and people claiming to be ITK. Weren't you even curious as to what the man had to say and how he said it?

I see you've read the DET and other articles but can you judge tone and sincerity from a third party article, isn't it better to judge that by hearing it directly.

Anyhow @RoyMac5 my argument isn't with you (as it wasn't with @therams69. We are all Derby fans and we are all despondent about the situation; we just have different approaches. Let's all hope we have a brighter future - and soon.

COYR ?

Edited by IslandExile

If I am honest I listened, nodded and shook me head at times but in reality I am not really bothered one way or another about what he said. It changes nothing. We are where we are and the real damming bit there is nothing we can do about it. Like a gambler Mel (and most supporters) thought a bit more and we will win the prize of promotion then another bit and another. A very large percentage applauded him taking that next bet, not that we could stop him, and the next. Now the money has run out and the future is bleak. Bemoaning Mel will get us nowhere. Supporting the team will. I my mind the notice and support against WBA and Stoke are the reason OUR team got  those 4 points. When the players started flagging WE got behind them and both lifted them and drove them on. The worst bit is that we are again waiting to see how OUR club is punished, waiting to see and praying somebody buys us before the administrators can sell out assets off in a fire sale. Hoping Wayne and the management team are allowed to stay and all the rest of it . All we can do , and I urge you all to do it, us support OUR team and drive them on so that even if we are relisted we are relisted as a confident winning team that can take that into next season and bounce straight back

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Didn’t say it was illegal I have long held the view that it was poor corporate governance and expressed that many times here.  He pushed the envelope until it burst

It may still have been seen as a legitimate way of valuing players, until we started handing one year extensions to certain players, then releasing them the next month. 

I'm at a loss to find the benefit in that, other than pushing the loss into a different financial year.

The man is a fool, and he has failed the club and himself. He complains that Covid left the club £20m short, but has more or less detailed over £20m of bad decisions in his interview. Those bad decisions have been stacking up for years. As a fan, I had always believed he had those bad decisions covered, so ultimately it was simply at his own risk. Instead, he took the risks and then stacked the consequences on the club, and you, and me, and all the suppliers, staff and players who are now in jeopardy. Awful.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Because people have been calling for it to be communicated by Mel himself, rather than through tweets by journos and people claiming to be ITK. Weren't you even curious as to what the man had to say and how he said it.

I see you've read the DET and other articles but can you judge tone and sincerity from a third party article, isn't it better to judge that by hearing it directly.

Anyhow @RoyMac5 my argument isn't with you (as it wasn't with @therams69. We are all Derby fans and we are all despondent about the situation; we just have different approaches. Let's all hope we have a brighter future - and soon.

COYR ?

Not any more, no. I've seen enough of the glad-handing that used to go on at the Fans forums and listened to him tell us all at them how unfair FFP was, but don't worry cos we won't fail it - or maybe I misremember that last bit?

As I said, it wasn't a live interview it was edited. I might have listened back to a live chat.

Yes we are all Derby fans, and some of us can remember having gone through similar situations, indeed Mel and LOG rescued us from one. So to find ourselves back there because of his actions is doubly infuriating. I would have liked the opportunity to ask if the club was safe, but I expect even if I'd been at a fans forum I wouldn't necessarily have been told the truth?

#COYR