Fans not from Derbyshire...

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Born and bred in Ilkeston where I lived until the late 80's before starting my career and moving to staffs.

Met my wife in Staffordshire so I'm still living there together with our son but it's only a 40 minute drive to pride park thankfully.

I've been a rams fan since I was about five and my uncle used to take me to the baseball ground.

I always loved playing football and one day whilst playing on Victoria park in Ilkeston we were scouted as a group by a chap who was after players for the Ilkeston branch of the junior rams so I played for them as centre forward for the next 3 or 4 years and played at the bbg twice a I recall.

Whilst I always followed the rams I really started going back in the 2014 Mac era when the football being played reignited my passion and I've been a regular ever since.

Finally bought our first season ticket in 2019 after I retired from my career and the endless world of shift work and could actually now make just about every home game.

My poor lad was obviously indoctrinated by me despite all of his mum's family being wolves fans and nearly found himself in a sticky situation at the weekend when he and a fellow young ram started singing the dcfc chant at 2am in a Stafford nightclub.

Quite proud of that though?

Great thread ?

Born between Walsall and West Bromwich. My Nan lived about 100 yards from the Hawthorns. My older brother is baggies supporter but I didn’t start to take an interest in football until the early seventies and, of course, chose the plucky under dogs in the 1971-72 season. My dad then got a move to Nottingham and we moved to a house just outside Ashby DLZ.

Luckily, our neighbour was a Rams fan so, I started going with him to the BBG. There were about a dozen Rams fans in the village and we’d go to away games in the back of a transit van (no seat belts or even seats - different times).

Just before all of that, I almost became a Sheffield Wednesday fan for the simple (and rather lame reason) because they were the first team I completed the full set of football stickers for.

I was born 3 miles from Old Trafford, so could have had many years of glory. My Dad is a Liverpool fanatic and steered me away from Man ure.

When we moved to Burton, he took me to the BBG and that was it, I really miss the old stadium.

Wouldn’t swap the Rams for anything, despite the mental torture of the last few seasons.

Have watched Exeter City on occasions

6 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

Ahh the glory fan ???, it been a rollercoaster since then hasn't it. 

A true glory fan would have been supporting Liverpol by 1978. But yes, it has certainly been a rollercoaster!. It's just that I started with the high. I think the rollercoaster probably needs servicing now, so it can climb back up to the top again.

Born in Cornwall. Lived within 15 minutes of Land’s End for most of my life except for university plus moving away again for the last couple of years.

My dad decided to support Derby when he was young. Won over by Brian Clough & Alan Hinton’s white boots. My choice of football team was decided long before I was even born.

Where I’m from my choice would’ve been my “local” team, Plymouth Argyle at just under 2 hours away, or do as my mates and pretty much everybody else in my town did and choose between Liverpool or Manchester United.

Countless trips up and down the country to cover the 600 and the rest miles to watch us lose 4-2 at home to the likes of Crewe Alexandra and win tense six-point relegation battles against Gillingham were the low points (or so I thought until recently). Still wouldn’t change it for the world.

Born in east London dad a Leyton Orient fan but used to work away all the time hence how he met mum from Derby. Used to go to Derby all the time when dad was away at work & three uncles got me to support Derby before the old man could convert me to the O's. 1967 my first game apparently against Everton.

Born near Coventry and started supporting Derby in Clough and Taylor era. You can imagine my delight when my dad started to support that other team when Cloughie joined them!

Joined the RAF and been few places and met many Rams on my travels, now live in Norfolk and have three kids, who spookily all support Derby, used to take them all to the games when they were younger….I have now started on the Grandkids….

My only ever team and would support no one else, no matter what…..

Born in Yeovil to parents who were born and raised in Yeovil as were their parents before them...... 

Father moved us up to Chellaston in 1965 (age 2) through work whereupon my Yeovil born and bred mother was so overcome with the emotion of the place she packed her bags and left for Aus with some random pick up and we haven't heard from her since. 

Father meanwhile met a girl at Rolls Royce whose father was part of the boot room staff at DCFC at the baseball ground. They were married in 1970 and moved us all to Belper. The folks are still there. 

Got a few tours of the dressing room in the early 70s. Stepmothers dad sadly died young in 1973 but our links to dcfc grew out of that relationship. 

I haven't lived there since the mid 1980s and we've been in South Hampshire since 91. But still get to games where I can and drag junior along as well. 

1 hour ago, handyill said:

A true glory fan would have been supporting Liverpol by 1978. But yes, it has certainly been a rollercoaster!. It's just that I started with the high. I think the rollercoaster probably needs servicing now, so it can climb back up to the top again.

Joking bud, 

12 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Also born at the Nightingale, spent most of my younger years in Chaddo but also lived in regent street, Barlow street, ash Bourne road, spondon, borrowash and church broughton before escaping to Cheshire and then the USA. 
you can change your car, your house and your mrs, but you can never change your football team.

Interesting link to Charlotte in that Tom Glick is now the president of the Carolina Panthers!

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Similar story to me. I was born in Wolverhampton and grew up in Staffs too.

My Nan and Grandad used to watch Wolves in their glory days, and their son and grandson both supported Wolves too. The 80s were pretty dire times for Wolves though, down in the bottom division with no money and loads of violence. My Grandad had fallen out of love with football I think, so there was never much of a push to follow them. My dad loves football too, but never really supported anyone, and was also put of by what matches had become.

I think I had already picked up on Wolves fan's belief that they had a divine right to be the best team too. Maybe all teams have a bit of that, but it always felt a bit more self-entitled with Wolves.

Anyway, it wasn't for me, nor was supporting Liverpool who all other kids followed if not Wolves.

I think I was aware of Derby first through Simon Groom on Blue Peter. It was rare in those days for famous people to talk about a football team they support, so it must have stuck with me.

I used to like listening to football on radio, but West Midlands stations didn't do commentary from what I remember, plus they covered lots of different teams too. I discovered Radio Derby were mainly focused on one team and also had commentary of just Derby too. They also had Graham Richards too.

Combined with the promotion and success at the end of 80s, plus a sticker album and Dean Saunders, I got hooked.

My dad, and myself, played sport every weekend so little opportunity to get to any games.

Appropriately, my first game was at Wolves, sitting in their fans with orders to not give anything away. We won 3-2 with 2 late goals, and I imagined to keep a lid on it until we got back in the car.

I did see a Wolves scum walk pass a quite geeky looking fan in Derby shirt after the game and smash him in the stomach. My decision to support Derby was validated on every level!

Since those times I lived in Yorkshire, London and north of London. Got to games where I can, including lots of away games in the South East. Looking forward to taking my boys again to Pride Park, their last game was Leeds playoff first leg. A lot has changed since then!

We have very similar back stories. I loved going to Molineux as a kid but when I finally persuaded my dad to take me to the Baseball Ground on a warm May evening to see us beat QPR, that was it.... a life sentence.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's a certain @BodminRam who may well have a similar story to tell - come on, don't be shy!!!!

Oh go on then Uttoxram, here goes.. Now living in Cornwall, i grew up in Ripley, where i spent my schooldays at Benjo`s in the 70s avoiding the Dirty and tree fans at lunchtime however when caught i would always reply when asked who i support  Derby, usually this led to a kicking as they were older, but then out off the mist i would hear the chant ossie enders and i was saved ( good days ) wouldnt happen today, so when i moved to Cornwall i joined the Andrew for 27 years which meant going to matches was hard, now finished in the navy, me and one of my converted sons will support the mighty rams for ever through good and bad times ( normally bad ) for ever

Best supporters in the world 

19 hours ago, Yani P said:

My father was best mates with Colin Boultons dad so as a very young child I went to the games..used to get loads of signed stuff (posters, shirts, boots etc) as well which luckily I still have to this day..that was enough to get me hooked.

Jokes aside from other fans... as a collector I can't resist but to ask if you would be willing to part with any of those shirts? Or possibly do a swap/trade? I've sent you a message if you are interested, I've sent my details over. Cheers mate ??

Great thread, @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong! It's been interesting to read the comings and goings of 'The best supporters in the world' as @BodminRam says. A little sad to read how a couple of moves have been due to bereavement or family breakups - sending a hug your way. 

Born in Burton, brought up in Barton-under-Needwood (5 miles south of Burton). My uncle used to take me to the Derby home games during the week in the early 1970's and he made me a little box to stand on so I could see. On the way out he would keep a tight hold of me but we still got parted and I remember that weird sensation of moving forwards in the tightly packed crowd but my feet were not touching the ground. I can still tell you the name of every player at that time (my favourite was John McGovern because the crowd were not always kind to him.) Left school and went to London Uni for 4 years. Loved London, but wouldn't have wanted to stay there. Got a job teaching in Glossop, North Derbyshire. Great place to live. 5 minutes and you are out in the Peak District whereas 20 minutes in the opposite direction and you are in the centre of Manchester. Best of both worlds. Lived in Glossop for about 20 years. Met the love of my life and moved down to Belper. Left teaching after 31 years as a teacher/ deputy head. Worked near Lichfield for 10 years looking after plants in a garden centre but the family owned business was a victim of lockdown and closed completely. I still live in Belper which I love! Go over to Barton 4 days a week to spend time with my wonderful mum who is now 90. Hoping to get to more home games this season! Finis!!?

46 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Great thread, @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong! It's been interesting to read the comings and goings of 'The best supporters in the world' as @BodminRam says. A little sad to read how a couple of moves have been due to bereavement or family breakups - sending a hug your way. 

Born in Burton, brought up in Barton-under-Needwood (5 miles south of Burton). My uncle used to take me to the Derby home games during the week in the early 1970's and he made me a little box to stand on so I could see. On the way out he would keep a tight hold of me but we still got parted and I remember that weird sensation of moving forwards in the tightly packed crowd but my feet were not touching the ground. I can still tell you the name of every player at that time (my favourite was John McGovern because the crowd were not always kind to him.) Left school and went to London Uni for 4 years. Loved London, but wouldn't have wanted to stay there. Got a job teaching in Glossop, North Derbyshire. Great place to live. 5 minutes and you are out in the Peak District whereas 20 minutes in the opposite direction and you are in the centre of Manchester. Best of both worlds. Lived in Glossop for about 20 years. Met the love of my life and moved down to Belper. Left teaching after 31 years as a teacher/ deputy head. Worked near Lichfield for 10 years looking after plants in a garden centre but the family owned business was a victim of lockdown and closed completely. I still live in Belper which I love! Go over to Barton 4 days a week to spend time with my wonderful mum who is now 90. Hoping to get to more home games this season! Finis!!?

Does Mrs Miggins make good pies?

?

16 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Does Mrs Miggins make good pies?

Yes and she runs an excellent coffee shop too, though she doesn't have a lot of time for those romantic poets who frequent the place and demand that she brings them a cup of that juice-ed bean called coffee 'before they die' especially that 'Mr. Byron', who she regards as a 'Big Girl's Blouse'. ?

Edited by Miggins