Fans not from Derbyshire...

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We seem to have a very wide mix of fans on the forum who are spread far and wide.

But how many are not actually from Derbyshire and as such how and why did your supporting of Derby County begin?

Born and bred in Leicestershire. My mum's from Belper so I'm half Derbyshire. My grandad and dad were Derby supporters. 

I’m from Bristol and have no association with Derbyshire other than the football team, which I started supporting at primary school.

Like many I was seduced by a team playing well in the top tier and like the kit and ram logo. I soon started to idolise not the forwards but McFarland and Todd, and spent my own football career as a defender.

Something about this football team has me hooked, and I’ve stuck by them ever since.

I’m known as the Grimsby Clown but I was born in Derby, lived there for 19 years I think it was, moved back for a year to help the family maybe when I was 22 ish.

Been up here ever since, at the stage where I’ve lived half my life in Derby and half up here but still answer with Derby when people ask where I’m from for obvious reasons.

6 minutes ago, Yani P said:

My father was best mates with Colin Boultons dad so as a very young child I went to the games..used to get loads of signed stuff (posters, shirts, boots etc) as well which luckily I still have to this day..that was enough to get me hooked.

Didn’t you put a few penalties past Colin in your back garden?

I don’t actually have any connection to Derbyshire, funnily enough.

I wasn’t born there. I grew up in an NG postcode, likewise my primary and secondary school had an NG postcode. 

I left the UK permanently when I was 20. 

But my dad, who also had no previous connection with the area, moved to the EM in his 20s and later worked in Derbyshire. 90% of football supporters at his work were Derby fans, so it was easy for him to follow them and later take me along when I was a kid.

My first game of memory at PP was around 97. We beat Coventry, and I specifically remember Wanchope scoring by chipping the goalkeeper and Richard Shaw (with his dreadlocks!) sliding back to try and clear it off the line and ending up tangled in the net aswell.

Born in Bromley, Kent and then lived in Bedford (rugby town) until adulthood. All of my mates supported big teams, as Bedford has no decent football teams locally (Luton at a push…)

Dad born and bred Derby, and his family, so it was a case of glory support like my mates, go local to my birth (Crystal Palace) or support the Rams. And you know what, in my 30+ years of watching football, I’ve never once regretted choosing Derby.

Born in Lancashire, but moved down 20+ years due to work. My daughter was born in Derby and the 2013-2014 play-offs saw us hooked as Rams fans and we’ve been season ticket holders ever since. Great city and great football team and support. Can’t wait for the season to start and to get behind the team!

Edited by SinceIWasntSoYoung

Moved with my job to a few miles outside Leicester in 1978. Spent one season going to watch the likes of Leicester, Notts C, Forest, Coventry and Derby, depending on who the opposition was that week. The following season it was only Derby and has been for the last 42 years. Given Leicesters' success in recent years do i have any regrets about not following them - not a cat in hells' chance.

I was born in Birmingham, then lived in Cheltenham, and then moved up to Buxton when I was 10 and decided Derby County would be my team and convinced my dad from Nottingham to get season tickets, first in the Normaton Upper at the BBG, then to PP. Tried to make games when I could after going to uni, now living in North Wales.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Born Derby (Nightingale).

Lived in various places since going to uni.

Now exiled somewhere down sarf.

Always a Ram ?

Similar to me. Born (Nightingale) and raised (within earshot of the BBG) and all my formative years in Derby but left for work in Brum and then down to London in 1983 where I’ve lived ever since. The Rams though always in my heart even though I’m a STH of The Irons just a few tube stops away.