Fans not from Derbyshire...

I remember one of the biggest personal disappointments was going to the semi final with my best mate who had supported Derby for a good few years, watching us lose 2-0 to man ure in a game we knew we should have won...long sad journey home..but the real kick in the nuts was a few days later spotting same best mate sporting a man u scarf on each wrist saying he swapped support so he could support a team in the final.. that certainly frosted that friendship..

1 minute ago, Yani P said:

I remember one of the biggest personal disappointments was going to the semi final with my best mate who had supported Derby for a good few years, watching us lose 2-0 to man ure in a game we knew we should have won...long sad journey home..but the real kick in the nuts was a few days later spotting same best mate sporting a man u scarf on each wrist saying he swapped support so he could support a team in the final.. that certainly frosted that friendship..

i went that day and yes we should have won can remember Gordon hills goal. I've never been so disappointed . born on south coast brought up in Derby left went back for work twice moved back to south coast .

Born in Ilford, east London/Essex, moved to Waterlooville (Portsmouth) at 2 years old, then to Luton when I was 6.

I was 8, 1976, when I chose Derby as my team, everyone else were Arsenal,Leeds,Liverpool, Man Utd. Probably helped that my school was called Ramridge, that must have swung it for me I think. I remember the FA Cup semi in 1976.

Moved to Bursledon (Southampton) in 1977 and then to Middleton on Sea (Bognor Regis) in 1985, a week before my 18th.

Then to Goring by Sea (Worthing) in 1990 where i got married, had kids etc.

Lived there til I got made redundant, lost my mum to kidney cancer and got the same cancer myself all within 18 months.

At this point, kids had finished Uni and no longer at home so we decided to move while we could.

So, at the grand old age of 51, we moved to Mickleover because the wife felt good about it when we drove round all the Derby suburbs. She'd also surprised me by enjoying the football at PP the few times we'd been able to make the trip up so we go together now which is awesome.

Special thanks to those great people on this forum for helpful advice on everything around that, particularly Boycie for the plasterer and the kitchen ?

I’m from London (the clues in the name) and was around 6 or 7 when I saw a team photo in a panini sticker album, liked the kit and decided they were the team for me. My mates all followed Spurs, Arsenal or West Ham and we were on the eve of relegation to the third division so I learnt at a young age to turn the other cheek.

My first game was against Newcastle at the Baseball Ground. Newcastle boasted Beardsley, Waddle and a young Paul Gascoigne. We were 2-0 down and battled back to eventually win with an Archie Gemmill penalty. It was the most thrilling experience of my young life. 

That same season I was a mascot and had my picture taken with Steve Cherry. I was misquoted in Rams magazine as saying “I think he’s good no matter what anyone says” (!) and they printed that I was from Watford, where I coincidentally now live. 

And who should I run out on the pitch with that day? He was at the tender age of 37 and in a thick Scottish brogue ordered me to “get a move on!” none other than one Archibald Gemmill. Happy memories!

Born in Derby,lived there for about 8 years. Next door neighbor refused to let me grow up a man UTD fan when I started to get into football,and took me to reserve games midweek in the winter. Remember vividly pride park opening and going with the cub scouts  to the opening ceremony

Live in Devon now and go back to Derby as little as possible,but usually catch a game if we have to go up for any reason

Edited by bimmerman

7 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

I was born 3 miles from Old Trafford, so could have had many years of glory. My Dad is a Liverpool fanatic and steered me away from Man ure.

When we moved to Burton, he took me to the BBG and that was it, I really miss the old stadium.

Wouldn’t swap the Rams for anything, despite the mental torture of the last few seasons.

Have watched Exeter City on occasions

I prefer the atmosphere at Exeter City these days, it's much more of a family atmosphere,people get hounded for shouting or swearing at the players

22 hours ago, Rammeister said:

Born in Holbrook, lived in Derby until about two years old and have been in the West Country (Wells,Somerset) ever since.

I was born in Holbrook, in the Maternity Hospital (now known as Brook House). Left Derby in 1972 to join the Royal Navy and have been living in Plymouth since the early 80's when I married a Devon beauty. Still have sisters, a brother, cousins and an Aunt in Derby. Go up regular for visits of family and matches.

19 hours ago, sheffieldram said:

Born in Sheffield. Lived here all my life. Love the City.

Big fan of Yorkshire cricket but in the late 60s I became a fan of Brian Clough and have followed the Rams for over 50 years.

We once lost at Southampton 5-0 in the seventies, if I remember correctly, and I decided I would support Liverpool instead ( I was only young ). This lasted 2 days until I realised I was hooked on Derby. 

There are plenty of Derby fans here in the city and I love winding up my Wednesday and United friends. Not too much these days though.

If it was a 5-0 defeat at the Dell, I was at that match. A midweek League cup game, did'nt enjoy the trip back to Plymouth with two of my Navy mates who took the micky.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:04, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We seem to have a very wide mix of fans on the forum who are spread far and wide.

But how many are not actually from Derbyshire and as such how and why did your supporting of Derby County begin?

Started life in Alfreton, moved a great distance to Swanwick when 11.

Left the county at 18, never to return except  to see the Rams (and my family and friends of course ?)

Dad took me to first match at the BBG in 1968 when I was 9. Always a RAM ever since. Despite school mates supporting Notts F, Manu and Liverpool at the time.

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

I prefer the atmosphere at Exeter City these days, it's much more of a family atmosphere,people get hounded for shouting or swearing at the players

I was a member of the 100 club at City for a while, we had a few members banned for giving Tisdale some abuse, much better now, but I miss the old grandstand.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:46, StevenageRam said:

Grew up in Lincoln in the 70s and started following Arsenal after they won the double in 1971. My favourite player was Charlie George and when he moved to Derby so did I and stuck with them ever since

Things true football fans should never say..'I used to support(insert team)now I support.....