Fans not from Derbyshire...

On 01/08/2021 at 20:18, hintonsboots said:

I was a member of the 100 club at City for a while, we had a few members banned for giving Tisdale some abuse, much better now, but I miss the old grandstand.

I went to the last game in the old cow shed,was haggard and falling apart mind you. Love the big bank terrace,proper old school ground, has barnets old away now as well

I was born in Hull in 1970 and lived in Cottingham, just outside Hull and cried on my 13th birthday when the family moved to Aberdeen because of my dad's new job in 1983.

I was brought up watching Hull City at Boothferry Park and watching Hull Kingston Rovers at Craven Park. My dad still cheers on for the Tigers and the Robins and the rest of the family all have a soft spot for both teams. Watching Hull City as a very young boy actually prepared me for being a Derby County fan, because incredibly they were worse than us in the late 70's, and 80's etc when supporting Derby made us stronger for the current times.

I picked Derby County out of the paper with my eyes closed, when my older brother persuaded me not to support Liverpool who I'd just got into, I remember my Grandad Chick had given me a black and white photo of the Liverpool team, and I enjoyed watching them play, when I stayed up late on a Saturday night watching Match of The Day and awaiting my parents to come home from The National pub in Hull, usually with food from the Chinese Take Away for everyone's supper, so yeah I was encouraged by my big brother to avoid supporting the so called big teams being supported by others, at school at the time, mainly Man Utd, Liverpool and a lot of Leeds Utd, around Hull at the time, so around 1976, I blindfolded picked out Derby County, and I've followed probably more downs than ups ever since, unfortunately with the blind fold off!

My older brother is a Chelsea fan and my younger brother is a Wolves fan and we all love our football.

A few Aberdeenshire Rams, well mainly 1 in @2tupspost on here, I think @Ramadonna9 reads now and again, as does @Rampianand @campavanram and @Elgin_Ram is in the Clan, and @CWC1983probably remembers me from the Westhill Inn, when I grew up in Westhill, Abedeenshire. Their are Rams fans up here in Stonehaven, nearby in Montrose, in Fraserborogh, in Elgin etc and we have many others up here in Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh etc.

I now stay out in Inverurie and I take my two boys to watch Derby County when I can, well the eldest one has been inside Pride Park, the youngest one only outside Pride Park, but both who at the moment have opted to support Liverpool, and the eldest went to Wembley with me to the Aston Villa game, well I still have plenty of time on my hands, hopefully, for my two boys to see sence!

I hate to read on here when Derby fans are falling out with one another and calling one another names, and I hate to read on here when Derby fans are calling their own players, managers, coaches, staff etc all sorts of names also. Get behind them, not against them.

Hope Not Hate.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

The Day I Die.......I'm still D.C.F.C......forever and beyond.

4 hours ago, barnetram said:

Born in London in 1938. Bombed out during WW2 and moved to Derby. Lived in Derby until 1959 and then moved back to London. Educated at Bemrose School and lived eventually in Littleover. First saw DCFC in a wartime game at the Baseball Ground and caught the bug. Have supported the Rams ever since. Held a season ticket for many years travelling up for games together with my son and grandson as time went by. I gave up the ticket and the travelling because of age ,a couple of years ago ( son and grandson still go, I’m pleased to say). However I keep in touch through RamsTV etc. I’ve experienced much pleasure and sorrow with the Rams over the years but it pains me to say that I have never experienced such frustration , anger and sorrow as I have during the last few years. Things can ,I hope , only get better. 

Amazing story! Where in London were you when bombed and did you move up with many others?

Born in Germany (raf Wegburg)

dad from Ilson he supported Derby so it had to happen

moved to Rotherham then all over the place then Ilson for a few years got divorced back to Rotherham now in Conisbrough in Jeremy Clarksons great great grandads house - built by Kaleb Kilner (he created the Kilner Jars)

14 hours ago, archram said:

Thank you, kind sir. Still recovering from a brain haemorrhage and now turned 80 means long journeys to Derby by myself are now off the menu,though my son and my stepson insist they’ll get me to PP again. My partner had hoped that having my brains scrambled might have helped me forget about the Rams - but I pointed out that it actually helped!

Great post ? hope you’re on the mend and the rams put on a show when you get there ?

Born and bred in Perth Western Australia (1959), and have lived there all my life apart from a 3 year stint in Sydney during the mid 80's.

Started following Derby during the glory years of Brian Clough and was a huge fan of Charlie George and Frannie Lee. Have remained a fan ever since.

Only ever attended one game with my wife and that was against QPR away on a wet cold night with Shaun Barker scoring our equalizer.

We both still speak very fondly of the total football experience of going to and from the game on the train and chatting with so many people on the way to the ground and then to the same people on the way home.

COYR

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You lose a third of fan point for that, so can only ever reach 66.6% of a fan.

Anyone can support the team where they were born and lived!

That is a very good point. You could make an argument that those who choose Derby rather than having it thrust upon them by being local are deserving of more respect.

To make that choice and stick with it surely means more? If you were born here and support Derby it's too easy for you.

I'm not going to make that argument though, too much trouble.

On 01/08/2021 at 00:44, LeedsCityRam said:

Born in Derby, spent my infant years in Normanton near the BBG (Violet Street) then moved up North aged 4. 

First got into football about 9 & was told I had to be a Ram because of where I was born. Started looking out for results from 1987 after we came up into old First Division. My Grandad never really liked football but was Derby through & through...bought me a replica top when I was 10 & then got me the Match of the Day video for Derby. Was amazing seeing those old European matches & I was hooked from then on. 

Moved to Leeds 16 years ago for work...love the city, love the people but will always be a Ram. Always got my Derby top on around town, plenty of other Rams up here too. COYR

Another Leeds-based Ram here. Born in Derby, had a season ticket with my dad between 1995-2000 before I moved away to university, then again in 2003-2004 when I temporarily moved home after graduating. Relocated to Leeds for teacher training in 2004 and have never left. Usually make it to 3-4 games a season with my dad still. Agree with Rev's comment about fans who support from a distance more likely to use this forum than those who are based in Derby and hear Rams-news all the time.

Edited by GuiseleyRam
spelling

7 minutes ago, barnetram said:

Was living in Hackney,East London, when we got bombed out. My parents and I moved to Derby because we already had family there who had relocated earlier. 

My father-in-law was born just after war and talks about playing in the bombed out homes. Round Finsbury Park way.

1 hour ago, GuiseleyRam said:

Agree with Rev's comment about fans who support from a distance more likely to use this forum than those who are based in Derby and hear Rams-news all the time.

Yeah, I reckon a higher percentage of exiled Derby fans would be on here than Derby based fans, but would be interesting to know the size of the 2 groups as well.

I've never really known any Derby fans, so all my Rams discussion is on here. If you are surrounded by them, you can get your fill everyday at work/pub etc.

Born in Derby 1980. Lived in town, before moving to Allestree as youth. Dad's job relocated us to Stowmarket Suffolk when I was eleven and still here now. Everyone supports Ipswich (a few Norwich) down here. But it was too late as I'd already experienced the BBG buzz many times and became hooked. DTID. 

I've seen Derby away at mainly the East Anglian games more than I've been to PP and lucky enough to somehow get playoff final tickets with my limited purchase history which I'm sure will upset a few. In fact the only game I went to that season was the Carrow Rd floodlight failure which we came out on top, winning 4-3.

My boy turns 7 next week and has had DCFC kits since he was 3 and has also been handed my older brothers old 80s shirt with the sportsweek sponsor. I'm thinking about treating him to a game at PP soon but not sure if it will be more like torture!? I need to get him there before I take him to Portman Road which is only 20 minutes up the road or he'll soon become a full blown Tractor boy. 

COYR, 

I HOPE SOME OF OUR YOUTHS STEP UP TO THE PLATE THIS SEASON. ???