Fans not from Derbyshire...

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

That makes at least 2 of us then, I.E.

Born & bred in Derby.  Went to my first game with my Dad and my Grandad, who was a steward at the BBG.  That was 54 years ago.  Spent most of my adult life down South, where my kids were born and still live but made sure to bring them up in the proper way.  In fact, my son has forgotten more than I will ever know about the recent crop of players to grace the black & white shirts (of which he has at least 30 different ones).  I returned to Leicestershire to be nearer God's country some 8 years ago.  Now I have a grandaughter, I'm hoping we can recreate the 3 generation experience - but with me as the old fart!  COYR!

Nightingale too 1959

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

That makes at least 2 of us then, I.E.

It seems there are quite a few of us born at the Nightingale.

Last time I went past it, they still hadn't put up the blue plaque to mark my arrival in the world.

"Born here: IslandExile. He supported Derby County all his life.... despite everything".

I was born in Sutton Coldfield and still live here, but my Dad’s family was from Derby.  I started going to the Baseball Ground when I was 6 with Dad and his parents.  My brother and I have brainwashed our kids and we now take them, our boys are obsessed!  I’ve never lived in Derby, I’ve never been out in Derby, but I’ve got a huge love for the club and a ram tattoo on my @rse!

I am born and bred in Nottinghamshire and as a 14 year old had never been to a football match, our corner shop was taken over by someone from belper and they had a lad the same age as me. We became best friends and  they took me to a game at Derby and fifty odd years later I’m still here with my son and grandson as season ticket holders.

29 minutes ago, RedSox said:

@kash_a_ram_a_ding_dongSo, what's your story, as the O.P.?

Born and bred in Ilkeston where I lived until the late 80's before starting my career and moving to staffs.

Met my wife in Staffordshire so I'm still living there together with our son but it's only a 40 minute drive to pride park thankfully.

I've been a rams fan since I was about five and my uncle used to take me to the baseball ground.

I always loved playing football and one day whilst playing on Victoria park in Ilkeston we were scouted as a group by a chap who was after players for the Ilkeston branch of the junior rams so I played for them as centre forward for the next 3 or 4 years and played at the bbg twice a I recall.

Whilst I always followed the rams I really started going back in the 2014 Mac era when the football being played reignited my passion and I've been a regular ever since.

Finally bought our first season ticket in 2019 after I retired from my career and the endless world of shift work and could actually now make just about every home game.

My poor lad was obviously indoctrinated by me despite all of his mum's family being wolves fans and nearly found himself in a sticky situation at the weekend when he and a fellow young ram started singing the dcfc chant at 2am in a Stafford nightclub.

Quite proud of that though?

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Born in Durham, lived in Scotland, then Cheshire, which was the closest I've ever lived to Derby. Now in the Yorkshire Dales. Was the only kid in junior school with DCFC stitched onto my towel bag (you young uns might need to look that up?!). Watched the Rams' north eastern trips quite often but only set foot in the BBG once (and won the chance to go onto the pitch to meet the captains and referee David Elleray). I get to maybe half a dozen home games each season and whatever I can get to away. Subscribed to the Ram when it was newspaper size.

Born in Kent, moved to Littlover/Normanton (Warwick Ave, estate agents call it Littleover but we all really know it's not) when three, moved away to go to Uni, nearly forty years later live in Warwickshire, just outside Straford Upon Avon (moved here in 2005 to cash in on the housing boom that would come from the 2012 Olympics before realising too late it was the other Stratford). Got into Derby as John Robson lived next door when I was a nipper and his wife used to take me to the games.

The Rams are my only tie now to my home town, if I go back now you can recognise me easily. I'm the one driving up Cornmarket because I haven't realised it's pedestrianised or asking people in Eagle Centre Market why Ben's Pot Stall has shut down.

Born and brought up in Leicestershire. My dad lived in Shardlow til he was 7, then moved to Leics. and was only member of family to support Derby still. Took me to BBG when I was 10 in 1951. Am now 80 and still an avid supporter though after serious illness doubt if I’ll ever get to PP again. Have been to matches with my sons, my grandchildren and a great granddaughter! Think I’ve done my bit in providing future supporters for the Rams!

Born and bred in Barrow-in-Furness. Started following the mighty rams in junior school in the mid seventies. I’m the youngest of four brothers. Two brothers support Liverpool and my other brother was a Everton fan so I didn’t want to follow them. At junior school their was twins from dirty Leeds so not a chance. The only other team was the rams and I’m so glad I decided to support them. Never a dull moment following our great club. Hopefully better times to come. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Crazy story. Did you find any family and did your grandad survive WW2?

I met my grandfather once before he died. He was a engineer at RR. I have a auntie in her 90’s who was the First Lady Mayoress of Derby and have met cousins from Derby and Inverness so it’s been all good. Caught up over half a dozen times now. We were supposed to move over last October but COVID ducked that up. Dad ended up being a pretty good athlete playing Aussie rules for Geelong in the VFL. It’s funny for someone born in Central Queensland that I feel so at home when I go to Derby.

21 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

I met my grandfather once before he died. He was a engineer at RR. I have a auntie in her 90’s who was the First Lady Mayoress of Derby and have met cousins from Derby and Inverness so it’s been all good. Caught up over half a dozen times now. We were supposed to move over last October but COVID ducked that up. Dad ended up being a pretty good athlete playing Aussie rules for Geelong in the VFL. It’s funny for someone born in Central Queensland that I feel so at home when I go to Derby.

Great story!

Great stories here, brilliant sunday reading!

I was born in Finland, and I still live here. I’ve been a football fan since I was a small kid, but I never found a team of my own. I tried Ajax while living in Amsterdam, but it didn’t stick (even though this was in the mid 90’s with Litmanen etc) and later Malaga in the early 00’s.

Then about ten years later in 2011 something beautiful happened. My girlfriend at the time got an opportunity to study abroad for a year and she wanted to go to the UK. There were three universities to choose from if I recall correctly: Leicester, Swansea and Derby. She chose Derby…

Fortunately I was able to follow her to Derby a bit later. We found a nice apartment at Charnwood Street and ended up living there for a year. I started to listen to Derby’s games on radio and watched all televised games. I remember being in The Neptune when Steve Davies broke his skull.

Then in December we went to Pride Park for the first time, and I was sold. Derby vs Leeds, 1-0. Jamie Ward scored but especially I remember how good Barker-Shackell partnership was.

So, finally I found my own team and I’ve been supporting the Rams ever since. I haven’t been to Derby after 2012 but hopefully this will be fixed sooner than later. I’ve been subscribing Rams TV from the beginning and even with the recent price hike it’s well worth the money.

I wonder if the are some other Rams supporters here in Tampere area ..?

Born in Greenock, my Mums family are all from there, she was up there carrying me while my old man Derby born and bred was in Honduras with the Grenadier Guards.....he got out the army in 77, when I was 5 and we moved to Normanton, later moved to Shelton Lock, when I was 15 we as a family moved up to Lincolnshire for a quieter country lifestyle, never have stopped supporting Derby, and although my son who is 12 was born up here he too is a massive Derby fan and we get to games together as often as possible