Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

All I got from that was :-

Salford was a sterner test with their pressing and front foot defending limiting time and space on the ball as opposed to Betis low intensity low energy approach of a team who looked like they were only interested if they had the ball. There was so much time and space in possession it was like a training game at times.

Jagielka needs to be signed.

Sibley, Watson, Hutchinson have all looked to offer more as inside forward than Aluko has. I dont see what he brings to it.

Forsyth was excellent.

As was Shinnie.

Bird is better and will be worth more than Carroll. I don’t see the benefits of Carroll over Bird in essentially the same role.

Roos was MoM

Not sure Baldock is the answer even as cover as CKR will clearly be the main striker.

Rooney has made a rod for his own back making Lawrence skipper as he has to play him….will he justify that?

Morrison has had less impact with each appearance….

I think we are yet to score a goal with any of Morrison, Lawrence or Aluko on the pitch.

A win is a win and always raises morale 

23 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The great thing is that the mismanagement of him has probably taken £10m off his value. Completely and utterly counter intuitive.

Just trust him, really don’t think it’s difficult.

If he's such a great player then others will see it. If he isn't no-one will want him. ?

Based on tonight

Didn’t think Baldock offered anything I wouldn’t offer him a contract 

aluko not sure did a few good things but vision wasn’t one of them

Jag sign him up 

Morrison did enough to show what he can do sign him up

Carroll people might disagree but I saw enough to say he has something to bring I would sign him

Stearman didn’t play

Alsop pass had nothing to do

39 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

When did Watson score a hat trick at pride park?

I like him but he's no Sibley!

Sibley just needs minutes.

Sibley hasn’t scored a hat trick at Pride Park?

I wouldn’t be doing anything daft like loaning Sibley out. But I don’t think the best thing is to just give him 90 mins and trust him… he’d be sent off 2/3 times a season 

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No,he's not got either pace or the guile from what I saw.

We need another striker in,Colin can't do a full season or anything like it I wouldn't of thought.

Importantly,that striker needs to be another hold up type,like Colin so it doesn't completely throw the players when Colin is supplanted by him.

We've cocked up that before!

I actually don't think we necessarily need that but it's important that what type of player is there is matched to the player playing at 10. A 4231 does allow for a player focussing on getting in behind but typically you want to pair that kind of player with somebody  at 10 who is going to sit in the pocket and look to thread passes as opposed to somebody who is looking to make late runs and get their shot off. In the current squad if you had Sibley or perhaps Lawrence at 10 they are probably best suited by somebody who is physical, can create space for them and set them up. The ball in this situation is often played into 9 for them to feed the onrushing 10. However if you played somebody like Watson, maybe Morrison or maybe even Bird you could afford a player running in behind with the idea that ball solely goes into the 10 who then looks to play in the 9. If that all make sense?

Either works and can be effective but you just need to have a plan for who is doing what and why.

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Unpopular opinion but I think he will be a better player than sibley 

Both have ability… just like the look of Watson more .. has a touch of  real class 

Sibley hasn't shown much for a while. His first touch is poor and he takes too long to make his mind up when in possession. 

I know confidence is everything with players like him and that irregular appearances don't help but he needs to produce to get game time. 

CKR messed up several chances tonight but still looked the most likely to score before Bird's surprise winner. 

We can't keep playing Lawrence, Jozwiak and a defensive midfield and hoping they'll score. 

If we can't bring players in, it'll be another 30 goal season. 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If we can't bring players in, it'll be another 30 goal season.

And that's what I've been saying.

Forget Rooney for a minute, forget the coaching staff, forget the shambles off the pitch, it's all about the players. We need better players. It's as simple as that.

And I know with the current situation, it is going to be hard to bring better in. But not impossible.

But what I would say is, just from these few games, Baldock and Aluko are not it. They are not the answer. They will not improve us. 

It was great fun against a team who were technically very good but played at half pace. Notts County I'd imagine will give us a stiffer test, as did Salford.

Roos pulled of two excellent saves, and there were some good performances outfield, notable Shinnie, who it's fair to say didn't enamour himself to the Spanish with his style of play, and Byrne. No surprise those two were our best two players last season.

Of those without a contract, Jagielka and Carroll performed well. Aluko, Morrison and Baldock I'm afraid did not impress. 

Sibley, Williams and Watson looked bright when they came on, and CKR changed the impetus of the game when he came on by giving us a focal point up front. 

Decent atmosphere in the second half as well - doubt the East Stand has had so much singing in it since it was built! Overall, great to be back, more positive than the doom and gloom on here and on social. For tonight, at least.