Is this the most depressing period you’ve experienced as a Derby fan?

Mostyn6

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't particularly think the atmosphere at games will be toxic, I do think though that due to the continuing efforts by the club to totally disengage and disenfranchise fans then this will manifest itself in vastly reduced attendances, which Covid will also have an impact on. 

Possible, could go either way, large attendances with us not going for a season, but then small attendances are just as likely given the situation and Covid concerns.

Honestly not sure which way it will go, with no ST numbers to gauge it, becomes impossible.

As for toxic, we lose and I can’t see any other outcome

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

They said they would improve the communication but it just hasn't happened. What are they actually doing on a day to day basis? What are they going to do to ensure the embargo is lifted? 

I find it quite contempible quite frankly,  I don't expect them to go into sensitive detail of the current situation but so do expect the club to come out and say "we are acutely aware of the fans concern with the ongoing reported issues of an EFL embargo, outstanding payments to HMRC and the protracted desire for the club to be sold to new owners, we would like to reassure fans that....."

And I put that together in 2 minutes which is more than anything the club has had months to formulate. Truly shocking. 

20 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

"Getting Cox in" seems to be a solution to quite a few problems really!

Ha ha. Although reminds me of the fruit and veg shop I worked in, where an old boy would come in every Saturday morning asking for Orange Pippins. Every time he would say my wife likes a large Cox of an evening.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As an adult, yes. I was still relatively young in the three amigos days so it passed me by for the most part.

The 3 Amigo days, for as bad as they were, we saw George Burley build a team with Raziak, Idiakez, Reich, Bisgaard. We were able to loan players like Osman.

It's a shame really as we saw some good football.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The 3 Amigo days, for as bad as they were, we saw George Burley build a team with Raziak, Idiakez, Reich, Bisgaard. We were able to loan players like Osman.

It's a shame really as we saw some good football.

The most depressing time for me was spring 1984, instead of being able to celebrate our centenary, we faced repeated High Court appearances to have the club wound up. The final straw appeared to have been on the day of the home defeat to Plymouth in the FA Cup quarter final. Our 'final' appeal at the high court had been thrown out earlier that day, no potential new owner seemed likely and the only hope of salvation seemed to be in a possible FA Cup final appearance. The game at home to Plymouth, struggling in div 3, with a Semi final with the next weakest team left in the competition beckoned and gave us hope. We lost to a solitary goal direct from a corner and as we made our way home, I feared that that was the last game I would see as a Derby supporter.

However, salvation, in the form of Robert Maxwell, seemed to appear from nowhere. Although, it didn't end well with Maxwell, I do wonder what would have happened to club, if he hadn't turned up when he did.

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The most depressing time for me was spring 1984, instead of being able to celebrate our centenary, we faced repeated High Court appearances to have the club wound up. The final straw appeared to have been on the day of the home defeat to Plymouth in the FA Cup quarter final. Our 'final' appeal at the high court had been thrown out earlier that day, no potential new owner seemed likely and the only hope of salvation seemed to be in a possible FA Cup final appearance. The game at home to Plymouth, struggling in div 3, with a Semi final with the next weakest team left in the competition beckoned and gave us hope. We lost to a solitary goal direct from a corner and as we made our way home, I feared that that was the last game I would see as a Derby supporter.

However, salvation, in the form of Robert Maxwell, seemed to appear from nowhere. Although, it didn't end well with Maxwell, I do wonder what would have happened to club, if he hadn't turned up when he did.

There in lies the difference

This team struggles to get out of the 3rd round

Not even close.  Tim Ward's reign when for year after year we showed no signs of progress; sacking Sir Brian after years of progression; the whole post Dave MacKay period and Docherty when average player after average player was sold to us as a world beater replacing genuine world beaters and a succession of owners with no money; 30 minutes from extinction and then saved by Maxwell - saved by a crook who then steadily lost interest and stole the income from our two best players; the long slide into the 3rd division; Brian not coming back and Peter not the manager that Brian was, never mind their falling out; the 3 amigo period; the promise followed by the depression of Lionel's ownership and that's before we get to the 11 point season and three managers in a year and losing at bloody Wembley time after bloody time after bloody time.

Watch the Big Match revisited - that depresses me more but in an addictive way.  Football was fun then, more equal - the pitches (not only the BBG) were awful, the players not as fit, the grounds not as well appointed, the referees not as good (God help us), the FA was in charge (God help us), managers ran clubs with (allegedly) brown envelopes and cash, players were slaves and fans often violent, the BBC actually did proper sport and did it well without 5Live and Robbie and Chris, newspapers covered all clubs not just 6, European cup a knock out competition against Champion sides only heard of not seen before. A lack of familiarity bred interest and passion. Above all there was no social media, no P and S, no EFL, no PL, no Sky/BT, no pleasing fans thousands of miles away. Just better.

What football has become in my lifetime is far, far more depressing than the temporary problems of my beloved club

Just think we know too much stuff these days. Everyone thinks they're an expert on everything and over- analyses every little nuance of the club. Not particularly fans, but pundits etc - all wanting to promote their take on every situation. There's no wonder the fans follow suit.

When I started following football there were still dodgy dealings, still very limited chances of success, still great times and crap times.

I think @ilkleyram has it spot on above. It's not Derby County in particular that depresses me, it's the state of football today.

I'm hoping us as fans, and the management and players, turn this whole situation into an "Us against the world" situation. We'll be celebrating vital points to keep us afloat like we were celebrating wins to edge us into the play offs a few seasons ago. It could be an exciting season, albeit one devoid of much quality. 

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

is this the most depressing time? Or can you recall being more depressed by Derby County. 

I feel old enough to know better now - In truth I've stopped letting in affect me like I used to - The distance (not being able to go to games) has made that much easier - It's a little like the 'orrible 11 points season - I had no hope going into that season and that first game gave me a glimmer, then the next few weeks made me depressed and by Christmas I was just watching in a somewhat detached capacity 

Feel more detached than depressed I guess

The football over the past 2 seasons is the worst I’ve seen in the 39yrs I’ve watch us. We’re a shambles off the field and a bit of a joke club in the football world at the moment. BUT I’m not/never depressed by our football club, even though we are where we are I can’t wait for the start of the season. Even when we get hammered by Huddersfield I won’t get down by it (I’ll have a grumble of course) because there’s always the next game and it gives you something to look forward to in life. Supporting Derby makes me happy because it always gives a day to look forward too, I’d be depressed without it that’s for sure. COYR

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I can remember a spell under John Gregory that I found Derby severely depressing. Tommy Mooney and Nick Chadwick up front! 

We did get Danny Dichio too which was exciting ?

Tommy Mooney was ok actually, plugged a gap for a while.

For soul destroying misery and complete disappointment it has to be the 2014 play off final.

We were the best team in the league once Mac took over and the team was almost the perfect championship mix.

A devastating number 9,totally committed wingers and a sublime midfield all backed up by a solid defence.

Still makes my heart hurt thinking about it.

Where we could have been now if we had won....certainly in a far better place.

6 hours ago, EranioIsGod said:

The 3 amigos for me. Other than that one good season under Burley, it was dire. 

It was bad under the amigo's but it was never that bad that we couldn't put 11 players out (they usually were not very good but at least we had them)