Is this the most depressing period you’ve experienced as a Derby fan?

Mostyn6

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

No, but it's certainly the most depressing period as far as this forum goes  ?

Definitely agree with this. 

The Clough years were a grind, but the members at the time were still able to have a laugh and lighthearted fun. 

Been a couple of topics in the Jim Smith recently that have been a blast from the past but the atmosphere on here is down to all of us.

7 hours ago, UTFR said:

Christ. whats the worst that can happen?

We get relegated? I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates.

Administration? Points deduction? Relegation. I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates.

Club wound up and we start again in the isthmian league. I'll still go. A few new grounds. Still sing, still moan, still have a good time with my mates. etc etc.

We cant control any of it lads and ladies, enjoy your life. Football will still be there to dictate ours saturday evening moods forever.

This……??

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't particularly think the atmosphere at games will be toxic, I do think though that due to the continuing efforts by the club to totally disengage and disenfranchise fans then this will manifest itself in vastly reduced attendances, which Covid will also have an impact on. 

See I disagree in part and I think it will be decided in the first few games. I think we have all the ingredients for the atmosphere going toxic extremely fast what with last season, the trouble off the pitch and heightened tensions due to Covid. Lose a couple games badly early doors and I think you can easily see a situation where fans take out their frustrations on a matchday. However if we have a spirited start I could see it turning the other way where fans really galvanize behind the team. 

4 hours ago, ram59 said:

The most depressing time for me was spring 1984, instead of being able to celebrate our centenary, we faced repeated High Court appearances to have the club wound up. The final straw appeared to have been on the day of the home defeat to Plymouth in the FA Cup quarter final. Our 'final' appeal at the high court had been thrown out earlier that day, no potential new owner seemed likely and the only hope of salvation seemed to be in a possible FA Cup final appearance. The game at home to Plymouth, struggling in div 3, with a Semi final with the next weakest team left in the competition beckoned and gave us hope. We lost to a solitary goal direct from a corner and as we made our way home, I feared that that was the last game I would see as a Derby supporter.

However, salvation, in the form of Robert Maxwell, seemed to appear from nowhere. Although, it didn't end well with Maxwell, I do wonder what would have happened to club, if he hadn't turned up when he did.

Loads of bad times but for me this is the one. Our only hope seemed to be to keep the club going on FA Cup gate receipts but we lost at home to lowly Plymouth with a corner going straight in over Steve Cherry's head on a miserable night and it seemed it was the last game Derby County would ever play.

Clough resigning was terrible. Equally terrible was when him and Taylor came back a few years later and were going to take over again, and everything was going to be all right. They turned up at the Baseball Ground to rubber stamp the agreement but the afternoon dragged on and on and the expected announcement never came, and all the hope evaporated. My recollection is that when they spoke about later, no one cold put their finger on why they didn't come home to us.  Eleven points was embarrassing. The Three Amigos were rightly hated. But 1984 was the worst.

This is bad but I'm more detached from it.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

See I disagree in part and I think it will be decided in the first few games. I think we have all the ingredients for the atmosphere going toxic extremely fast what with last season, the trouble off the pitch and heightened tensions due to Covid. Lose a couple games badly early doors and I think you can easily see a situation where fans take out their frustrations on a matchday. However if we have a spirited start I could see it turning the other way where fans really galvanize behind the team. 

As long as the players on the pitch are giving their all, the fans will get right behind them. 

8 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The late 70’s until the arrival of King Arthur 

Agree, all made worse by what Clough and Taylor were doing down the road. Never had the phrase "Could have been us." rang truer. Strange but I thought the relegation from old div 1 was worse for me than going to old 3rd. Probably as we got cox in and the feeling did not last long.

Edited by TimRam

I'm relatively young so the only other two awful points I have to really point to are the 3 amigos and that 11 point season. With the 3 amigo's I was still a small kid so I didn't really fully comprehend what was going on. The 11 point season despite being embarrassing wasn't so awful, we were getting caned by good teams but the fans in general were good natured and accepted our demise with good humour. 

I think this is a different magnitude of frustration. The club is an absolute shambles from top to bottom; there is no communication from the club on any number of issues, the squad is in dire need of robust additions but seemingly we can't sign them, we've got an inexperienced manager out of his depth and to top it all off we don't know how many of us or under what circumstances we will be able to attend the opening games of the season. It's not depressing but it is immensely frustrating as a fan and it makes you question why the club should receive another penny of your hard earned money quite honestly.  

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

No, but it's certainly the most depressing period as far as this forum goes  ?

1 hour ago, David said:

The Clough years were a grind, but the members at the time were still able to have a laugh and lighthearted fun. 

Been a couple of topics in the Jim Smith recently that have been a blast from the past but the atmosphere on here is down to all of us.

Perhaps that’s what triggered this thread. I’ve never known such a rubbish Transfer Forum. I look on most threads and there’s nothing happening. 

I kinda agree with @ilkleyram and @angieram..... The backdrop of football as a whole makes this the most depressing time that I can remember.

Even when Clough and Taylor left, even when Docherty traded the crown jewels, even the 80s in the third tier, even after Maxwell pulled the plug, even the 3 amigos.... There was still enjoyment going to matches, there was still a sense of optimism that the club could move forward.

For me, that's all gone now. Even if we do overcome the current situation, and that might take a couple of years, maybe longer. Even if we somehow manage to get back in the top division again..... The footballing powers are geared up to keep the select few clubs at the top. We saw that with the failed European Super League. All other clubs are just there to make the numbers up.

Leicester really shook them up the other year, they'll not let that happen again. That's what is so depressing. It's just not the people's game anymore.

Most depressing time as a football fan, let alone a Derby fan? Yes, sadly but very definitely.

Edited by IslandExile

2 hours ago, Sport Billy said:

It was bad under the amigo's but it was never that bad that we couldn't put 11 players out (they usually were not very good but at least we had them)

Very true. Although the players we fell in love with were quickly sold for dust 

1 hour ago, David said:

The clough years…..rebuild job,great signings, the last period of really shrewd recruitment at DCFC, great team spirit…. Completely undervalued in terms of the job he did….

interesting that the players from that era agree about this too….ward, Bryson, bucko, Russell etc 

Not the worst time, when i was 13 years old got relagated to division 3, and nearly went out of business, 1984, Mr Webb, Got Maxwell to save us at the last minute, then Mr Cox arrived and we had a great time again getting 2 promotions in 2 seasons, and finishing 5th in the old division 1, hope the good times arrive again, soon.