Is this the most depressing period you’ve experienced as a Derby fan?

Mostyn6

25 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

@angieramand @ilkleyram

can clearly see that the beautiful game of football has become ugly through greed and unnecessary change. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it depressingly badly. Then again the youth of today will probably think us oldies need sending to the nearest opticians, and require to be sectioned, when we harp on about the good old days.

..........in with the old, out with the new.........hold me close.

Good old David Essex ?

7 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

There are 2 times I have felt depressed about the Rams, the first when Tommy Docherty ripped apart a great side and replaced great players with awful replacements and we saw what clough was doing at forest, but the time that has depressed me the most is now when I come on here and see the “I can be a worse fan than you “ postings of the deplorables who think it is big and clever to slag off every aspect of the club, it makes me vomit. I hate social media at least in the past the anti fan had to keep their thoughts to themselves or if they voiced them in the pub would get a knuckle sandwich.

who doesn't love beating up someone who has an opposing view.... ??

On 21/07/2021 at 12:36, Betty Swollocks said:

Nowhere near.

For me the worst time was 1984. Much worse than it is now.

Closely followed by Cloughs last couple of seasons here where he was content with a lower/mid table finish every season and tried to masquerade it as a success

At least Clough’s last couple of seasons were out of necessity though, and the wage bill then was lower than it is now yet the squad’s currently a mess 

Phil Brown era was the most depressing for me. 

Towards the end of the three amigo era when id had enough of them selling our best players for nowt & on the back of burley who had played wonderful stuff & worked miracles with the resources he had. We then appoint that clown that plays the goalkeeping coach & puts the assistant manager upfront. It was like when a pub team is short so the landlord and manager bring their boots for a game

6 hours ago, cannable said:

At least Clough’s last couple of seasons were out of necessity though, and the wage bill then was lower than it is now yet the squad’s currently a mess 

As I posted earlier, I am no fan of Nigel but it is undeniable he served the club very well. That I don't (and didn't) think he could take us much beyond just staying in the Championship does not mean I don't respect his integrity and other personal qualities.

Supported the team since the Tim Ward era and the worst time for me was the Paul Jewell era. Not only brought in many very poor players but a lot seemed to be pretty obnoxious characters. Can’t think of any other time where I really struggled to name any players I actually liked. At lest that doesn’t apply today.

27 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think that will be officially rock bottom lol

Whenever you think we've hit rock bottom we manage to sink further. I really wish I wasn't addicted to Derby County and could just let it go but I can't

37 minutes ago, AGR said:

Whenever you think we've hit rock bottom we manage to sink further. I really wish I wasn't addicted to Derby County and could just let it go but I can't

Ditto 

living in notts I’ll never get away from it 

literally anywhere else in the world I could detach a little from it if I needed to 

but no … I’m stuck with it lol

The maxwell era was far worse. Not only were we a total shambles on the edge of going bust but Forest were also brilliant and winning every cup competition going (apart from the FA Cup ha ha), the victims were dominating the league and Europe…truly awful and England were terrible 
at least now, they are both rubbish and England are the best they have been in my lifetime 

The play off defeat to QPR was a defining moment for our club. The way we totally controlled the game, the fact they were down to 10 men and the last minute winner made it even worse. I have never felt as low as a Derby fan and it still haunts me to this day.

Defining moment because if we’d have won that game I don’t think it would be unrealistic to expect us to be an established Premier League club with lofty ambitions. Capacity crowds at Pride Park with stadium expansion already complete by now. Who knows, maybe even spine tingling European fixtures under the lights.

What has followed is a long, drawn out, well documented circus and we find ourselves under an embargo with little hope of improvement any time soon.

I accept this is where we are now and the pre season excitement is still for some reason building but it could have been oh so different.

It just wasn’t meant to be.

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Supported the team since the Tim Ward era and the worst time for me was the Paul Jewell era. Not only brought in many very poor players but a lot seemed to be pretty obnoxious characters. Can’t think of any other time where I really struggled to name any players I actually liked. At lest that doesn’t apply today.

You didnt like any of the following Jewell signings?:-

Danny Mills, Robbie Savage, Laurent Robert, Alan Stubbs, Benny Feilhaber, Hossam Ghaly, Roy Carroll, Tito Villa (relegation fight signings)

Steve Davies, Martin Albrechtsen, Jordon Stewart, Rob Hulse, Kris Commons, Paul Green, Andreij Pereplotkins, Liam Dickenson, Premieslaw Kazmierczac, Tyrone Mears, Luke Varney, Nathan Ellington, Darren Powell

there is one more, he signed 22 players in 2008. I cannot think who it was. 

Tommy Docherty's two seasons was also a depressing time.

Just two years earlier Derby had been Division 1 Champions, Charity Shield winners, beating Real Madrid, FA Cup semi-finalists, with a team of players who were all top of their game.

Docherty sold them all, brought in poo, and when he left us in 1979, it was a total mess. Within 4 years the club was, literally bankrupt, and getting relegated to the third division.

Derby County FC throughout their history have been through everything - you name it, and the Rams have done it, and sent the postcard. However, like the proverbial 'Phoenix', they will rise again, and probably do all the same mistakes again, just with a different set of players, managers, coaches, owners and directors.

That's the fun of following your club, and, I suppose, I wouldn't have it any other way, apart from at least 10 years of being in the Premier League, a FA Cup win and a couple of years following them in Europe.

That's not too much to ask for, is it?