Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's early days and preseason. I was just hoping to see a bit more I keep forgetting we're bargain basement shopping. ? He was alright. 

To be frank Roy, the thing that struck me was he seemed more like a CF than a winger.  He could hold the ball tight to him with 2 on his back. Lot of strength. He nearly got a serious big CF’s shot off bursting through the middle in the first half. .. yes, it is early days. You never know how they will gel in a unit but I wouldn’t like to play against him. 

Some good play, better than expected but no final quality (CKR goal aside which was out of nowhere).

Aluko was good and deceiving in the middle of the pitch, but no end quality/good decision making.

Morrison - didn’t see the awe that some described his performance as.

Baldock - all effort, but didn’t have that pace and whoever described him as a Nugent, spot on.

The lad who impressed me was Hutchinson. Not afraid to get forward and take people on.

Bird - slow and ponderous. We’re worse off for him being in the team. 

We are not going to score many.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Players that caught my eye first half were Morrison (great use of the ball - if anyone can get him playing like that every week, sign him up!), Aluko, Byrne, Lawrence (despite his header!)  Jagielka and Davies both classy at the back and Roos' handling of the ball and quick distribution kept us moving forward. The intent was definitely there to get forward much quicker, with some smart interchanges to transition play down both flanks. 

You've not been liberally giving our lads the eye again have you Angie? 

I thought that restraining order had stopped that sort of thing.... ?

13 minutes ago, sage said:

not when sat near someone for over 2 hours

In a completely open air arena that is utilising some form of social distancing such as today yes it is. This is why the early government tests of 50,000 people in open air events saw 26 positive covid tests as a result.  It would be less true in an enclosed space with only one or two points of ventilation which is why masks should be worn in concourses. If we're being realistic you can't be expecting people to be wearing masks in this heat for going on 2 hours. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances"

But as has been said, we'll get him on the cheap.

If we are allowed ........im holding my breath, when i turn blue kick me up the Khyber !!   

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

In a completely open air arena that is utilising some form of social distancing such as today yes it is. This is why the early government tests of 50,000 people in open air events saw 26 positive covid tests as a result.  It would be less true in an enclosed space with only one or two points of ventilation which is why masks should be worn in concourses. 

Leaving the ground was about 50% mask wearing 

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Not many edentulous 70 year olds around nowadays.

Get you!!!! I bet that never made it into Samuel Johnson's dictionary, or Blackadders when he attempted to re-write it with Baldrick's help.  Mind you, I don't think Blackadder got much further than Aardvark.

1 hour ago, tombomb said:

You take one sentence of my point completely out of context and ignore the rest of what I've said to try and be a smart arse? Max bird has been struggling defensively for a year now and offers next to nothing going forward. I would say we could find someone better to play that in that position. I'd hate to see his pass completion percentage on passes that go forwards. 

You're right I did cherry-pick. 

Bird definitely suffered from second season syndrome last year and was pretty average in a very, very poor team. Knight went the same way in the second half of last season too. My take on Bird is that I expect him to be a good player that may make the Premier League. I think he was the driving force behind Derby's youth team successes and I think he is smart enough to make the grade. I think he is worth persisting with to return to the form that he has shown previously. 

19 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Rooney said after the game that we won’t be able to play a CB in the first game due to the embargo - frees and loans are beyond our reach, never mind transfer fees. 

Not sure that would wash with the EFL they would point out that Forsyth played CB at times over the last seasons and Buchanan was a CB in the U23, s 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Leaving the ground was about 50% mask wearing 

you said before that you estimated it was 10% in the ground that were wearing masks? I would imagine people popped them on as they were leaving the ground. I personally would have worn a mask in the concourse but wouldn't have bothered in my seat 

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

you said before that you estimated it was 10% in the ground that were wearing masks? I would imagine people popped them on as they were leaving the ground. I personally would have worn a mask in the concourse but wouldn't have bothered in my seat 

Me and my dad went to the cricket last Sunday, Gloucestershire v Hants at Cheltenham College. Was outside all day, sat a distance from anyone else, couldn’t have been many more than a 1000 there and we both got pinged and have had to self isolate for 8 days….hope you lot that went today don’t also suffer the same….

52 minutes ago, jono said:

To be frank Roy, the thing that struck me was he seemed more like a CF than a winger.  He could hold the ball tight to him with 2 on his back. Lot of strength. He nearly got a serious big CF’s shot off bursting through the middle in the first half. .. yes, it is early days. You never know how they will gel in a unit but I wouldn’t like to play against him. 

Perhaps that didn't show as well on the tv, he just looked a bit pudgy. ?