Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

12 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Couldn’t agree any more on bird. He was class but not got any confidence in himself anymore. The bird from cocus first season was immense and now for some strange reason he offers nothing going forward or defensively and offers the odd sideways pass. I really want to see the bird from 2 seasons ago who came forward with the ball and was slick with his 1 2 passes but after last season we can’t carry anyone. Also from the first half shows we need more attacking options I though aluko and Morrison and even baldock offered what we need and add in jozwiak and ckr and Lawrence quite like the look of that 

We looked better at times than the last 15 games of last season

Overall, pretty happy with that.

First half we were clearly the better side & being 0-1 down really flattered them. Thought we moved the ball around with confidence, lots of movement & the 3 of Lawrence, Aluko & Morrison looked really fluid. Lawrence really should have scored with a header from 6 yards out & Heaton pulled off a great save to deny Jagielka. Instead a bit of sloppiness from Bird, a fortunate ricochet to their lad after Roos saved & we went into half time 0-1 down.

Second half, Man Utd started to press a lot higher & it became harder to play through them. They started getting ascendancy early part of the second half, scored again & Pallestri right side for them was becoming a real problem. The mass substitution enabled us to get a foothold again & whilst they continued to have more of the ball, we looked really dangerous on the break - Kazim really prominent with his strength on the ball & intelligent passing. Cracking finish too from the big man.

Of the new boys;

• Morrison - was excellent I thought. Dropped into pockets of space in midfield, always available for a pass & seemed to knit the back line/deeper midfield with the final third with his passing/direct runs. Some real quality touches too. Just what we've been missing in the side. Assuming Rooney can keep on top of his workrate & attitude, I think he'd be an excellent signing
  • Aluko - started slower than Morrison but after the first 15 mins started to show real glimpses of class. Drifted from RW into the number 10 role & found plenty of space. Very direct, great touches & looked threatening. Also helped Byrne out on a few occasions even though it was very warm out there. Definitely would like him to sign also
  • Baldock - worked really hard & thought he protected the ball well when it came to him. He didn't have any clear cut chances but his presence was definitely felt in that final third. Bit of a David Nugent vibe to him.
  • Jagielka - in all honesty, had little to do first half but looked comfortable in possession anyway. Pretty sure he stepped up second half to allow Pallestri the space to score the second but other than, very sound. Also a threat in their box first half from set plays & unlucky not to score

Pretty good for a first stretch out.  Fitness and sharpness should come, and will improve us a bit, as will returning players and more understanding.

Based purely on that, we could do worse than all trialists signing up. Jagielka was composed and even ventured into midfield, Stearman seems adequate back up. Baldock would be a useful sub/option, and Aluko looked willing at least. Ravel stood out massively, found space, linked up play, and got a few good tackles in. IF he could do it week in week out he'd be a huge positive.

Hutchinson was impressive and Forsyth actualy shepherded things really well in defence.

Buchanan, Bird and Sibley all displayed naiavity at times.

I was generally quite pleased with that performance. A bit ironic that we lose the first half when we were the better side and draw the second half when we weren’t, but all things considered we did well. Aluko and Morrison were impressive, CKR’s strike was very good, Sibley seems to have learned nothing since last season regarding silly fouls and straying offside, Lawrence seems fired up to lead the team. If a couple of things had gone our way we could easily have won that game.

32 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think part of it is that and I definitely take that on board. But, I do think the primary issue is the movement on the pitch that with a bit of work could be addressed. If we look at CKR's goal (it was a great strike) but there was literally no-one making a run beyond him which is why he shot. It was similar to last season where CKR would score some fantastic low percentage goals and oftentimes it was because the movement beyond him wasn't there which meant he was forced into shooting. 

I've watched it a couple of times in play and didn't get that impression at all. There was some good interchange with Hutchinson and Festy left it to CKR who took his chance and shot. If there's one thing Col can do it's hit a ball.

21 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I really want to see the bird from 2 seasons ago who came forward with the ball and was slick with his 1 2 passes but after last season we can’t carry anyone. Also from the first half shows we need more attacking options I though aluko and Morrison and even baldock offered what we need and add in jozwiak and ckr and Lawrence quite like the look of that 

Perhaps it was who he was playing with in midfield?

Plus I thought Hutchinson had a great spell and I'd rather see him than Aluko. I realise it's early preseason but Aluko's end product wasn't there.

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Aluko - started slower than Morrison but after the first 15 mins started to show real glimpses of class. Drifted from RW into the number 10 role & found plenty of space. Very direct, great touches & looked threatening. Also helped Byrne out on a few occasions even though it was very warm out there. Definitely would like him to sign also

Yes but what did he actually do?

In the 15 minutes or so that Hutchinson was on look what he did. Compare and contrast.

Edited by RoyMac5

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've watched it a couple of times in play and didn't get that impression at all. There was some good interchange with Hutchinson and Festy left it to CKR who took his chance and shot. If there's one thing Col can do it's hit a ball.

If you looked at the replay rams tv played from behind there was literally no-one making a run beyond him when he shot from 20 odd yards out. There wasn't 1 Derby player in the box. Yes he can hit the ball but they are low percentage shots that might hit the back of the net once in a while but not consistently. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If you looked at the replay rams tv played from behind there was literally no-one making a run beyond him when he shot from 20 odd yards out. There wasn't 1 Derby player in the box. Yes he can hit the ball but they are low percentage shots that might hit the back of the net once in a while but not consistently. 

But he scored and has done before. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

In the 15 minutes or so that Hutchinson was on look what he did. Compare and contrast.

Hutchinson did well but lets not overstate it - he had one good run down the left & shanked it into the stands and then a decent touch before Kazim smashed it in from 20 yards.

Aluko was very influential that last 30 mins of the first half & gets away from players - final ball was maybe rusty on occasion but the movement, deft touches & little bursts of pace can open sides up. We need that directness in the team to open up space elsewhere. Hutchinson is a different type of player & if his under-23 appearances are anything to go by, is primarily seen as a holding midfielder anyway. He's also slight & your average burly Championship midfielder will go right through him - they won't be able to take those liberties with Aluko.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

But he scored and has done before. 

But that's not my point, yes CKR is capable of scoring from range and he might hit 5 or 6 really good goals from those kinds of positions over the course of a season. My point was it's not very good from a chance creation point of view. I do think it's something that hopefully will come over the course of pre-season and the early season games but it is reminiscent of last season where oftentimes we did look troubled when trying to create chances from open play. 

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Aluko was very influential that last 30 mins of the first half & gets away from players - final ball was maybe rusty on occasion but the movement, deft touches & little bursts of pace can open sides up. We need that directness in the team to open up space elsewhere. Hutchinson is a different type of player & if his under-23 appearances are anything to go by, is primarily seen as a holding midfielder anyway. He's also slight & your average burly Championship midfielder will go right through him - they won't be able to take those liberties with Aluko.

I missed seeing him get away from anyone, unlike Hutchinson. I think Morrison looked impressive but I thought Aluko reminded me of Anya. He might have had it but it's mostly gone. We need experienced players so he's obviously that, but 'not take liberties'? We'll see.

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

But that's not my point, yes CKR is capable of scoring from range and he might hit 5 or 6 really good goals from those kinds of positions over the course of a season. My point was it's not very good from a chance creation point of view. I do think it's something that hopefully will come over the course of pre-season and the early season games but it is reminiscent of last season where oftentimes we did look troubled when trying to create chances from open play. 

There might have been players there if he'd been playing with those from the 1st 60 minutes.

23 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Overall, pretty happy with that.

First half we were clearly the better side & being 0-1 down really flattered them. Thought we moved the ball around with confidence, lots of movement & the 3 of Lawrence, Aluko & Morrison looked really fluid. Lawrence really should have scored with a header from 6 yards out & Heaton pulled off a great save to deny Jagielka. Instead a bit of sloppiness from Bird, a fortunate ricochet to their lad after Roos saved & we went into half time 0-1 down.

Second half, Man Utd started to press a lot higher & it became harder to play through them. They started getting ascendancy early part of the second half, scored again & Pallestri right side for them was becoming a real problem. The mass substitution enabled us to get a foothold again & whilst they continued to have more of the ball, we looked really dangerous on the break - Kazim really prominent with his strength on the ball & intelligent passing. Cracking finish too from the big man.

Of the new boys;

• Morrison - was excellent I thought. Dropped into pockets of space in midfield, always available for a pass & seemed to knit the back line/deeper midfield with the final third with his passing/direct runs. Some real quality touches too. Just what we've been missing in the side. Assuming Rooney can keep on top of his workrate & attitude, I think he'd be an excellent signing
  • Aluko - started slower than Morrison but after the first 15 mins started to show real glimpses of class. Drifted from RW into the number 10 role & found plenty of space. Very direct, great touches & looked threatening. Also helped Byrne out on a few occasions even though it was very warm out there. Definitely would like him to sign also
  • Baldock - worked really hard & thought he protected the ball well when it came to him. He didn't have any clear cut chances but his presence was definitely felt in that final third. Bit of a David Nugent vibe to him.
  • Jagielka - in all honesty, had little to do first half but looked comfortable in possession anyway. Pretty sure he stepped up second half to allow Pallestri the space to score the second but other than, very sound. Also a threat in their box first half from set plays & unlucky not to score

Think ur absolutely bang on there mate 

lots of positives, as u say aluko and Morrison could be a real difference for us IF … in Morrison’s case Rooney can keep ontop of him 

baldock was tidy … do think I’d rather have something a little more explosive as an alternative to CKR but to be fair young lad festy looked very lively indeed in that respect … obviously a little raw still 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There might have been players there if he'd been playing with those from the 1st 60 minutes.

Quite possibly which is why I said ". I do think it's something that hopefully will come over the course of pre-season and the early season games".  But it did remind me of last season where support and attacking movement was oftentimes really poor. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

43 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Couldn’t agree any more on bird. He was class but not got any confidence in himself anymore. The bird from cocus first season was immense and now for some strange reason he offers nothing going forward or defensively and offers the odd sideways pass. I really want to see the bird from 2 seasons ago who came forward with the ball and was slick with his 1 2 passes but after last season we can’t carry anyone. Also from the first half shows we need more attacking options I though aluko and Morrison and even baldock offered what we need and add in jozwiak and ckr and Lawrence quite like the look of that 

Aha I understand where it all went wrong for Cocu now.....

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're comparing a box to box centre mid with a predominantly right winger? Would you compare beilik with jozwiak considering they play the same positions as the 1st two? Yes Hutchinson played well but you can't compare him directly to aluko when they are worlds apart in terms of playing position 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I missed seeing him get away from anyone, unlike Hutchinson. I think Morrison looked impressive but I thought Aluko reminded me of Anya. He might have had it but it's mostly gone. We need experienced players so he's obviously that, but 'not take liberties'? We'll see.

Don't see that comparison personally - Anya was all pace, limited technique & not much else, Aluko isn't that rapid in general but very sharp over those first 5 yards so able to generate a bit of space/create openings. If we're looking to move it around with purpose you need those players in the final 3rd who can dart around, hold their ground against agricultural midfielders but with good technique - good first touch, decent passes etc.

As you say, we do need experienced players also - think we'll have to agree to disagree on his potential value to the side.