Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

you said before that you estimated it was 10% in the ground that were wearing masks? I would imagine people popped them on as they were leaving the ground. I personally would have worn a mask in the concourse but wouldn't have bothered in my seat 

I answered that earlier. About 50% wore one leaving the ground.

I am ambivalent about this. On the one hand we signed up to a set of rules so we really ought to follow them.

But. Given that the stadium was spacious, the stands were in the open air, the crowd was restricted in terms of numbers then perhaps the rules were rather silly. Way beyond what is legally required, particularly with the precedent at Wembley. Simply not logical given the type of event. 

There is a thing about good law. It’s one that most follow when reason is exercised. .. I wore my mask in the concourse and the loos. .. I didn’t want to in the fresh air and as 90% of my fellows weren’t .. then I didn’t until I left my seat to leave. 

Maybe most people who went felt they were medically exempt, which would mean no one was flouting the rules at all? Remember medically exempt can be anything physical or psychological.
Personally I class myself as exempt on the basis of it causing me distress wearing something over my nose and face preventing me from breathing clean air with no evidence to suggest it’s beneficial. 

What was impressive was the amount of hand sanitiser stations dotted around which is as far as I can gather the far more beneficial procedure for stemming the spread of a virus but one that seemed to be forgotten in favour of the visual statement that masks make. 

As far as I’m concerned masks are the equivalent of a babies dummy, in being a false pacifier and share the same weening off problems!

Anyway, just my opinion, back to the game!

36 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Apparently, every single person that attended todays game had to agree to abide by the Covid-19 Supporters Code of Conduct, which includes, amongst other things:

5. Supporters must wear a face mask, face covering or face visor (covering both their nose and mouth) at all times within the stadium and designated areas surrounding the stadium, unless consuming refreshments or medically exempt from wearing one.

Taken from:  
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/covid-19-ticketing-plan-supporters-code-of-conduct

Glancing very briefly at posts in this thread, it appears that many were flouting the very rules they agreed to abide by, and DCFC don't appear to have been "policing" things too stringently?

It's likely to be safety in numbers I would imagine similar to when people stand at away games. The rules are that you don't stand continuously but if enough people do it the club are stuck and can't do anything about it without causing big issues ditto with the masks. Personally, I'd say it's pretty obvious in the open air you're creating a bigger health risk asking people to wear the mask in 32 degree heat than allowing people to go unmasked in the stadium itself. 

36 minutes ago, sage said:

I answered that earlier. About 50% wore one leaving the ground.

Sorry, it wasn't clear whether you'd changed your mind about the figure of wearers in the ground or just how many people wore one whilst leaving 

Interesting comments on face masks. Most around us wore them to arrive and depart, took them off when sat. I didn't see anyone less than two rows apart and we were well spaced.

More amusing was the "one way" system and total lack of policing of that. Our steward (who made me look like the YTS) was absent most of the time and did nothing to enforce any rules. 

Having said that, I felt as safe as I am going to be in a football stadium. I think any of us attending accept there will be some level of risk.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting comments on face masks. Most around us wore them to arrive and depart, took them off when sat. I didn't see anyone less than two rows apart and we were well spaced.

More amusing was the "one way" system and total lack of policing of that. Our steward (who made me look like the YTS) was absent most of the time and did nothing to enforce any rules. 

Having said that, I felt as safe as I am going to be in a football stadium. I think any of us attending accept there will be some level of risk.

Outdoors is pretty safe, according to studies/stats, tbh. And afterall tomorrow it would have been no masks unless you want...

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Outdoors is pretty safe, according to studies/stats, tbh. And afterall tomorrow it would have been no masks unless you want...

I agree. However, I felt today's small risk was acceptable for me personally. Full stadiums - I am not so sure.

I'm not so sure an enclosed football stadium is as outdoors as some think it is! 

Just now, angieram said:

I agree. However, I felt today's small risk was acceptable for me personally. Full stadiums - I am not so sure.

I'm not so sure an enclosed football stadium is as outdoors as some think it is! 

I think the risk is about as small as it can get if you're double-jabbed and not in a vulnerable category. As long as you keep a reasonable distance from close 'aerosol' contact. The studies seem to say that risk increases with close proximity over a certain amount of time, but yeah I totally agree with nervousness about lots of people. Too much covid going around at the moment tbh.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I read an interesting letter somewhere recently that suggested 2 things. 

1) early in the pandemic there was definite benefit in that so many had the virus that any measure that reduced it by a small percentage was benefits in statistical terms

2) That wearing masks was encouraged to continue because physiologicaly it reinforced the need to be careful, keep your distance and so on .. it wasn’t what the masks did in preventing spread in themselves but what they did in making us follow all the rest of the regs. 

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well in concourse is closed but once in the stand it is safe to remove them I fancy a beer today but unable to get one.

51 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Maybe most people who went felt they were medically exempt, which would mean no one was flouting the rules at all? Remember medically exempt can be anything physical or psychological.
Personally I class myself as exempt on the basis of it causing me distress wearing something over my nose and face preventing me from breathing clean air with no evidence to suggest it’s beneficial. 

What was impressive was the amount of hand sanitiser stations dotted around which is as far as I can gather the far more beneficial procedure for stemming the spread of a virus but one that seemed to be forgotten in favour of the visual statement that masks make. 

As far as I’m concerned masks are the equivalent of a babies dummy, in being a false pacifier and share the same weening off problems!

Anyway, just my opinion, back to the game!

I am not sure medical exemption works that way .. you know, based on your own feelings. I mean, I feel I should be medically exempt from all sorts of things due to the psychological pressure I feel when I have to comply. Parking fees, speed limits, yellow lines, being nice to people from Nottingham. It’s hard 

Anyway, I see masks as a useful risk reduction tool. That said, Their ability to reduce that risk to any measurable degree in an open uncrowded stadium is limited in the extreme, so pretty pointless. 

32 minutes ago, jono said:

I am not sure medical exemption works that way .. you know, based on your own feelings. I mean, I feel I should be medically exempt from all sorts of things due to the psychological pressure I feel when I have to comply. Parking fees, speed limits, yellow lines, being nice to people from Nottingham. It’s hard 

Anyway, I see masks as a useful risk reduction tool. That said, Their ability to reduce that risk to any measurable degree in an open uncrowded stadium is limited in the extreme, so pretty pointless. 

The difference being that all those things aren’t guidance they are civil law. 

When it is guidance and the governments own guidance is that you cannot ask someone for proof of the medical exemption there is no limit on what medical exemption can mean. 

Mental health is as valid as breathing difficulties and it is not for anyone who isn’t medically trained to judge whether you’re exempt or not. 

48 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

The difference being that all those things aren’t guidance they are civil law. 

When it is guidance and the governments own guidance is that you cannot ask someone for proof of the medical exemption there is no limit on what medical exemption can mean. 

Mental health is as valid as breathing difficulties and it is not for anyone who isn’t medically trained to judge whether you’re exempt or not. 

I can inform you on that if you have learning differcults or autism and I have asthma as well so that makes me exempted from it.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Don't think you'll need to worry about Pride Park being full.