Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes but what did he actually do?

In the 15 minutes or so that Hutchinson was on look what he did. Compare and contrast.

Dont see how you can compare the 2 when they play different positions. Aluko is a winger and hutchinson is a cdm/box to box. Hutchinson was good as was aluko in flashes. The time with hutchinson will be when hes playing in the championship with expereienced players who will not give him time and just go through him. Although do like the look of him reminds of a little bit of bielik 

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

As you say, we do need experienced players also - think we'll have to agree to disagree on his potential value to the side.

Yep. Well it's early days but we'll see what his 'potential value' to the side is.

But as for his likeness to Anya, this is what I meant: "Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances"

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Aluko is a winger and hutchinson is a cdm/box to box.

Hutchinson played as a winger for Southend DET: "Derby County have confirmed the signing of winger Isaac Hutchinson from Southend United. The 20-year-old has signed a two-year-deal at Pride Park..."

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yep. Well it's early days but we'll see what his 'potential value' to the side is.

But as for his likeness to Anya, this is what I meant: "Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances"

Not relevant to his time with us. We would sign him on a free & probably on a fairly standard CH wage.

Its like saying Blackburn fans should have been wary of Bradley Johnson simply because we overpaid on him (I was going to say Waghorn & Coventry but y'know ?)

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

Not relevant to his time with us. We would sign him on a free & probably on a fairly standard CH wage.

Its like saying Blackburn fans should have been wary of Bradley Johnson simply because we overpaid on him (I was going to say Waghorn & Coventry but y'know ?)

No it isn't. But then it's all relative and his now small wage might be needed elsewhere. But it's early days and I thought there was enough there to sign him on the cheap.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hutchinson played as a winger for Southend DET: "Derby County have confirmed the signing of winger Isaac Hutchinson from Southend United. The 20-year-old has signed a two-year-deal at Pride Park..."

Shows why they are down at the basement then. No way in heaven or earth i would play hutchinson on the wing. He would absoluteley wasted out wide. Then again thats normally a Derby thing to do and play people out of position so we will probebly play him on the wing. 

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've watched it a couple of times in play and didn't get that impression at all. There was some good interchange with Hutchinson and Festy left it to CKR who took his chance and shot. If there's one thing Col can do it's hit a ball.

Actually I've just seen the goal from another angle and Festy slowed the ball down and set it up it to Col. Nice touch. Can't post the Twitter link although you wouldn't think https://twitter.com/CityofDerby would be posting dodgy vids... ?

Edited by RoyMac5

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes but what did he actually do?

In the 15 minutes or so that Hutchinson was on look what he did. Compare and contrast.

I mean it’s the first half of the first pre season game so I’d give him a little more time before making a real judgement. He looks a lot more promising than most wingers we’ve had in the last few years and on a free and where we are at - won’t get better than that. In 2018 he got 8 goals and 11 assists for Fulham. There’s a player in there. I also don’t think he’s anything like anya - he beat his man two or three times, turned his man inside out at one point and left him on the floor. Reminds me more of Dawkins than anya. 

2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

In 2018 he got 8 goals and 11 assists for Fulham.

"Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances"

But as has been said, we'll get him on the cheap.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Overall, pretty happy with that.

First half we were clearly the better side & being 0-1 down really flattered them. Thought we moved the ball around with confidence, lots of movement & the 3 of Lawrence, Aluko & Morrison looked really fluid. Lawrence really should have scored with a header from 6 yards out & Heaton pulled off a great save to deny Jagielka. Instead a bit of sloppiness from Bird, a fortunate ricochet to their lad after Roos saved & we went into half time 0-1 down.

Second half, Man Utd started to press a lot higher & it became harder to play through them. They started getting ascendancy early part of the second half, scored again & Pallestri right side for them was becoming a real problem. The mass substitution enabled us to get a foothold again & whilst they continued to have more of the ball, we looked really dangerous on the break - Kazim really prominent with his strength on the ball & intelligent passing. Cracking finish too from the big man.

Of the new boys;

• Morrison - was excellent I thought. Dropped into pockets of space in midfield, always available for a pass & seemed to knit the back line/deeper midfield with the final third with his passing/direct runs. Some real quality touches too. Just what we've been missing in the side. Assuming Rooney can keep on top of his workrate & attitude, I think he'd be an excellent signing
  • Aluko - started slower than Morrison but after the first 15 mins started to show real glimpses of class. Drifted from RW into the number 10 role & found plenty of space. Very direct, great touches & looked threatening. Also helped Byrne out on a few occasions even though it was very warm out there. Definitely would like him to sign also
  • Baldock - worked really hard & thought he protected the ball well when it came to him. He didn't have any clear cut chances but his presence was definitely felt in that final third. Bit of a David Nugent vibe to him.
  • Jagielka - in all honesty, had little to do first half but looked comfortable in possession anyway. Pretty sure he stepped up second half to allow Pallestri the space to score the second but other than, very sound. Also a threat in their box first half from set plays & unlucky not to score

That was the game I saw, mostly. I didn’t latch on to Morrison .. I was sitting quite close to the pitch and you don’t get a good view of midfield interplay. Unlike Roy I though Aluko looked dangerous, mobile and very strong. Feisty has come on physically since I last saw him. I’d hate lose Byrne. 

That was a good run out. We moved the ball well, weren’t predictable, got caught when they pressed hard and high but they looked hungry and skilled.

Had a little welling up when the team came out and when King Colin banged one in. It felt like coming home after a long grubby journey in bad weather. 

As the Aussies say “She’ll be right mate” 

we are ok … if we avoid a points deduction we won’t get relegated.. they are good enough and maybe will improve a bit on the way. 

Am I right in thinking that we aren’t able to sign any of the trialist from this game because of the Chorley game from last year when we heavily subsided our first team with academy players? 

Rooney said after the game that we won’t be able to play a CB in the first game due to the embargo - frees and loans are beyond our reach, never mind transfer fees. 

It will be an interesting few weeks, but should we get to the Huddersfield without being able to field a CB then perhaps we should look (as a fan base) to get the game called off. We will be handed a loss, but could be our best chance to raise awareness and make our point that the EFL aren’t only hurting the investment of Mel Morris, but also the emotional investment for so many fans who will have to sit and watch an underprepared, underaged squad of young lads struggle as they try and make their way in the game. 

I doubt it will reap much, but it would garner attention of the national media. 

Edited by Ambitious

It was great to get back down to Pride Park and see our first team in action. Not the best day for it temperature-wise and sometimes players are going through the motions a bit in friendlies but I thought most of them today put in a good shift.

Players that caught my eye first half were Morrison (great use of the ball - if anyone can get him playing like that every week, sign him up!), Aluko, Byrne, Lawrence (despite his header!)  Jagielka and Davies both classy at the back and Roos' handling of the ball and quick distribution kept us moving forward. The intent was definitely there to get forward much quicker, with some smart interchanges to transition play down both flanks. 

Bird had a mixed game, did some good stuff going forward but made the mistakes for the goals. However, he tries things, Shinnie doesn't and was more of a sideways passer than Bird today. Buchanan puts in a shift going forward, I thought he did okay too given the opposition. 

No-one seems to have mentioned that we let our second goal in just before the 60 minute changes. At this point we were playing against a completely fresh Man Utd midfield and attack whereas our lads were wilting. It was 36 degrees pitch-side and a rushed pass from Aluko I think that put Bird under pressure.

Unlike others, I thought Fozzy played well when he came on, looked much sharper than the end of last season and I thought him and CKR took good responsibility for the younger group of players. Fozzy definitely organising the defence. Ebosele played well too, you can't ignore him, Hutchinson took a while to get into it but looked classy on the ball and could have had a goal. Bardell and Thompson showed some nice touches and weren't overawed - have either of them played for the first team before? 

Sibley and Macdonald a bit disappointing, especially Sibley who wasn't offering the defensive cover that Aluko offered first half. I want to see him get his mojo back quickly because this isn't the player I know he can be.

Not sure whether Man Utd's first goal was a handball? I thought it was but not given, did Rams TV show anything? 

Overall an enjoyable afternoon and a decent atmosphere for a friendly with a bit of banter between the two sets of 'singing' supporters.

However the highlight of the afternoon, and worth the admission money alone, was to see CKR score an actual goal in front of the Derby fans. Use him well and he's going to be even more of a hero this season than last. ?

2 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

I think the best in the world can do either, but it’s just how your body is naturally positioned when u play with your stronger foot passing it out. The angles of passes to the fullbacks and wingers are wider. Also I’m fairly sure I read something about how your preferred foot/hand impacts how you think about the position of your body in some way.

When we taught especially 'clumsy', poorly co-ordinated children, one of the first tests the educational psychologist would do would be to get them to throw or catch a ball several times and watch them kick a ball so that they could establish left hand/ right hand dominance and left foot / right foot dominance. Many children who had co-ordination difficulties were 'cross-lateral'  eg. left footed but right handed and vice versa. I am right handed but if I couldn't use my right hand I could learn to use my left but I doubt it would ever be as efficient. Trying to kick a ball with my left foot is possible but my instinct would be to always go with my dominant foot as the other way doesn't feel right at all and I feel unbalanced.  I'm guessing that the same might be true of footballers. There are very few people who can switch from right to left with ease with their hands, so perhaps it is true with feet as well.

Edited by Miggins

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances"

That deal looked like a peak Derby deal. Previous season went to Fulham on a free and did well after several years interrupted by serious achilles injuries. So in pile reading with a 7.5m offer and a four year contract and he never reached those heights again. 

... Cough... Waghorn.... Cough..

His career average up to reading isn't bad though, setting aside the injuries. Therefore take out the ludicrous financials and he looks like a useful player to have, without looking like a world beater. 

But then - useful is OK isn't it, given our modest ambition levels this season?